Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-06-2016, 10:00 AM   #1

Hosting In Michigan State Parks - 2016

Started my first state park campground hosting position of the summer (?) at Hartwick Pines State Park near Grayling, MI on Sunday after driving the last 45 miles at 30-35 mph in a blizzard. Took about 45 minutes to back into my site, as I kept slipping (in 4-wheel drive) and jack-knifing. Finally, good enough was good enough for the night. Met my supervisor on Monday. Tuesday, I made my way to the dump station, but my black tank valve would only open 1/2 way (frozen). I was able to empty the liquids, but the solids will wait for another day. Kitchen grey valve also frozen shut, but was able to empty the bathroom grey. That should get me by until it warms up a bit. Water lines are also frozen, so I shouldn't fill the grey tanks real quick taking sponge baths. Good thing I carry 2 5-gal. jugs of fresh water that I can refill at a nearby hand pump until it warms up next week.

We got about 3" of fresh snow overnight, and they're predicting 3-4 during the day today; another couple of inches tonight.

From here, I'll be headed to North Higgins Lake State Park (about 15 miles south of here) to host for May & June; then to Ionia State Park (near Grand Rapids, MI) to host for July; August (hopefully) will find me back at N. Higgins Lake; then hosting at Clear Lake State Park (near Atlanta, MI) for September & early October; finally, back here for Mid-October through the end of November (or as late as I feel comfortable staying). Winter will find me back down in the Texas Hill Country (again), but not hosting . . . just relaxing!

Safe travels, and Happy Camping!
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00133.jpg   DSC00135.jpg  
Old 04-06-2016, 10:23 AM   #2

Brownie.

Lived in MI for MANY years... I feel your chills!

We will be doing our first camp hosting this summer. It's a volunteer gig at a National Forest campground. It's in AZ in the summer so we'll be at ~7,000 ft elevation... it's cooler up there, but not as cool as you're experiencing! Very likely, too, these will be restricted a good part of the summer, but we are looking forward to it.

Be safe and I hope your water lines thaw soon.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:27 AM   #3

You gotta let me know where you're staying in Central TX. If I'm in the neighborhood, I'll bring ya a coffee or beer or rum drink or something.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:34 AM   #4

Living the dream huh Brownie ! LOL Actually should be a great summer there...

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:10 PM   #5

Wow, sounds like fun, we camp there a lot and enjoy what it has to offer. Our trailer will be our home in a week as we are completely remodeling home. Hope the snow is gone by then. Hello from your neighbor 72 miles away.
UpNorthMGOBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:27 PM   #6

Stay warm! The recent snow has us keeping our x23b in storage while we wait for the new eagle to arrive in May. Seeing that eagle in snow has my hopes of some extended camping going way way up!

Now, if only April will realize spring is here and we can start getting some days without ice falling from the sky.

Retired: 2014 X23B
mitechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:31 PM   #7

Thats a tough way to start the season, but I am sure its beautiful and you have the whole place to yourself for a few weeks. I don't even think about camping in Mich until Memorial weekend even then its still cool and usually raining. We have that long weekend planned at Grand Haven State Park, then up to Wilderness State park late June for a week, and back to GH for the Coast Guard Festival week late July. Enjoy your summer hosting sounds like some great locations.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 12:32 PM   #8

My sister and bil and my folks are heading up to N.Higgins today. I will be there to join them on Sunday. We have the sites at the bottom of the bathhouse hill in the east side of the cg. Ill be sure to stop by and say hi after I get things set up and my daughter put to bed if its not too late (she usually goes down about 8). I am hoping to take advantage of the camper storage program upon check out as our group has reservations to hartwick pines in early July and then up and over the bridge! Hope all is well! Dave

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote