Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-17-2009, 01:31 PM   #1

Work Campers

Any work campers on the forum? The wife and I have thought about that in the past. Not to make any money at, but maybe for free camping. I guess that is more for full timers.

Jim
Priscilla, best friend & navigator.
Hank (5 year old black & tan Dachshund)
Cocoa (3 year old brown & tan dapple Dachshund)
2010 Fleetwood Excursion 30a
Toad is a 2007 Jeep Wrangler X
(We traded in our F250 and Jayco Eagle)
One Country Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 01:07 PM   #2

Jim, Don and I have considered 'work camping' too, but realize that if we do so, we will be gone from family much more longer than the 5-6 weeks we do a couple times a year. We would like to work camp in a National Park. If we ever do it, I think we would consider it if we could just be gone no more than 3 months.

I would love to read about anyone's work camping experience. Hopefully some work campers will post!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:33 PM   #3

Well, I guess that I technically could call myself an experienced workcamper, even though I don't think of it being in the normal sense of the word. In my secular work (unarmed Security Guard) the company that I work for sometimes sends me to different local areas to work for short periods of time. For about 9 months, I worked about 90 miles from home, so I took the motorhome to a commercial campground in the area, and lived in it when there. I usually drove my pickup home if I had a few days off. More recently, I worked (same company) about 50 miles from home and I took the motorhome to my daughters house (about 5 miles from work) and stayed in it when I worked. Now the company has me working less than a mile from home, so needless to say, I stay at home now. That is my total experience in workcamping, even though, I would like to workcamp in the usual sense of the word.
Retired and enjoying new grandson
leeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 04:33 PM   #4

Hi Lee, that's not the traditional sense of the term, but I suppose that is a form of workcamping. Many in contracting and construction travel with RV's. That is handy. I was thinking more on the lines of working in a campground while staying there. Many people do that either fulltime or part-time. Everything from cleaning bathrooms to working in the office. Most of the Corp of Engineers parks use workcampers in our area.

Jim
Priscilla, best friend & navigator.
Hank (5 year old black & tan Dachshund)
Cocoa (3 year old brown & tan dapple Dachshund)
2010 Fleetwood Excursion 30a
Toad is a 2007 Jeep Wrangler X
(We traded in our F250 and Jayco Eagle)
One Country Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 04:10 PM   #5

I did the non-traditional work camp as I live out of our Cardinal 5th wheel. I ran a constrution jobs at a natural gas storage plant around Fisher IL. I was there for four months with a quick trip to Kananas. I liked the trailer trash living as the money was great. I have travled quite abit years ago but have retired now with some health problems. Well now we travel the country in the Jayco 5th wheel.
Wayne
Http://yogi154.blogspot.com/
yogi154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:16 AM   #6

Hi Jim,

The wife and I will be CG hosts at Big Meadows CG in the Shenandoah National Park for part of the summer. Work is about 20 hrs a week and in return you get your site, with full hookups, for free. We're also considering taking a "real" Work Camp job at one of 2 or 3 campgrounds where your site is free plus you get paid a small salary. The trick, as far as I can tell, is to pick the right CG to apply to for a position. You may know but I gather they would expect you to work for at least 3 months, longer if you're able to stay.... and of course if they like you.

About all I can add at this point in time.
RR Conductor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:36 PM   #7

I have camped at Big Meadows CG in the Shenandoah NP. It is dry camping unless you are a Camp Ground Host. The NP is Beautiful. Have fun and enjoy.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:50 AM   #8

Its actually SkyLine Drive. The Blue Ridge Parkway is in North Carolina. Both Beautiful and Exciting.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:43 PM   #9

I am BRP edumacated!

Blue Ridge Parkway becomes Skyline Drive when it hits Va (?).... ummm maybe that is a question I've got a very unhappy grandbaby fussing with a cold the past three days (stay at home Grandma til June 3rd) so I haven't taken the time to google the Pkwy info. I guess that means it's Blue Ridge Pkwy from Tenn and NC? Not considered the BRP from beginning to end North/South or South/North....

LOL.. *silly burnt out Grandma grin* anyhow, if we do finalize our plans to include that region of our lovely country this Summer, we will definitely let you know Pete!!! It would be nice to meet you and your wife

Have fun with your Work Camper position. Let us know how it goes (we love anecdotal stories!)
Old 05-13-2010, 05:36 PM   #10

If we end up getting a TT this year, this will be one of our first visits. We only live 50-60 miles from there.

Bruce

Oh! Baby Calvin joined the Family Monday afternoon. Mother and son are doing beautifully.
Merlinspop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlinspop View Post
If we end up getting a TT this year, this will be one of our first visits. We only live 50-60 miles from there.

Bruce

Oh! Baby Calvin joined the Family Monday afternoon. Mother and son are doing beautifully.
COngrats Bruce!!! Post it in "CampFire Chat". The Jayco Owners Family would be delighted to hear about it!!!!
Old 05-13-2010, 08:07 PM   #12

We have three different friends who work camp and all three are full timers. All have free full hook up camping.
1) One is doing a park, collecting fees etc 4 days on 4 off, for the entire summer and is paid an hourly rate. They had to bid the rate. They are making enough from April to October to make the 5th wheel payment for a year which became an issue after the 2008 stock market collaspe.
2) The other two are working Christian camps. In addition to the free sites they get their meals free in the cafeteria. Generally speaking, you work 32 to 36 hour weeks in this type setting.
I understand work camping is a good way to stretch dollars. Also that there is a magazine which advertises opportunities all over the country. One of the couples is working Montanna April to June, taking off 2 weeks, and then working in Minnesota until a week after Labor Day. One is looking for a gig in Alaska next summer.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcconawa View Post
We have three different friends who work camp and all three are full timers. All have free full hook up camping.
1) One is doing a park, collecting fees etc 4 days on 4 off, for the entire summer and is paid an hourly rate. They had to bid the rate. They are making enough from April to October to make the 5th wheel payment for a year which became an issue after the 2008 stock market collaspe.
2) The other two are working Christian camps. In addition to the free sites they get their meals free in the cafeteria. Generally speaking, you work 32 to 36 hour weeks in this type setting.
I understand work camping is a good way to stretch dollars. Also that there is a magazine which advertises opportunities all over the country. One of the couples is working Montanna April to June, taking off 2 weeks, and then working in Minnesota until a week after Labor Day. One is looking for a gig in Alaska next summer.
Post this as a new thread under the same forum... it would help others to find new opportunities
Old 05-21-2010, 08:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthi View Post
[IN PART].... Hopefully we can meet ya next year
Enjoy your time with your granddaughters; we'll look forward to meeting you next year.
RR Conductor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR Conductor View Post
Enjoy your time with your granddaughters; we'll look forward to meeting you next year.
Thanks for keepin in touch Pete
Old 02-21-2011, 04:28 AM   #16

Last summer, I camp hosted at one of the Virginia state parks. In May, I be back again at a Virginia state park. Then in Aug, I'll be hosting for the NPS on the Outer Banks.
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam
Prodigy P2
Tanker42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:08 AM   #17

I've never been a WC, but the CG where my Summer place is, has decided to offer a position for the summer. I'm not the administrator of the Board, so don't know the particulars for sure. but I think it's going to be 20 hours a week 'light maintenance', in exchange for full hookups and site. We have no 'Hosts' as such, as it is a CG that is privately owned with NO nightly rentals. Mostly older folks, who are there for a week or two. Quite a few who are Seasonal, going soouth for the winter. If anyone is interested PM me or just post here and I'll get you in touch with Jay @ 5 Star RV, who is taking care of it.

It's in the Rockies on the Arkansas River.
rehoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #18

I work out of town every summer. Our company rarely has major blacktop projects locally here in Duluth, MN. We are not paid per diem, yet are highly paid union workers. I used to hotel it, and that got extremely expensive.

I started using our new Jayco Pinnacle last summer and loved it. Wife didn't like not having that in our seasonal camping site so I bought another one to use for work. Picked up a 2012 Jayco Super Lite Fiver and am now using that for work.

The Super Lites have very little insulation and don't have thermo pane windows so it's a lot to keep it heated and air conditioned. Trading that one for Eagle 313RKS with 2 slides and a washer and dryer prep. I spend my only day off home doing laundry.

Love staying in the camper for work though. Beats a hotel, plus I have a kitchen and MY OWN BATHROOM AND BED!!
rotjovi2269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:09 AM   #19

Actually I think the Skyline Drive runs from Front Royal to Afton Mountain then becomes the BRP. I have camphosted for the Va State Parks for several years as have some other members on here, tanker 42 for one. It is a great way to work a few hours, camp free, get an extra week or two as a bonus, and meet a lot of great people. We work about 30 hours a week for a full hook up site.
Shenandoahvalley is offline   Reply With Quote