Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-26-2018, 07:35 AM   #1

Canadian buying in the U.S

We were pondering buying a new trailer when we go to Hershey in the fall. We know we have to pay duty on it, but just wondering if there is a difference in safety standards and what other difficulties we might encounter
Old 04-26-2018, 08:45 AM   #2

You would need a trailer that has the Canadian Standards option to register it back in Canada. The option is only a few hundred, the standards have to do with the propane system and some electrical.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:13 AM   #3

Check riv.ca for import procedures. https://www.riv.ca/HelpFAQs.aspx#trailer

Pretty sure you don't need any Cdn Stds label on it. That would be impossible on a used one. When you bring it into Cda you pay HST @ border and then get the RIV inspection done prior to getting it plated.

I know for dealer purchased cars you either have to have it shipped out of the state of purchase or pay the state taxes. I've only imported used cars bought from the owners (4 times).
Old 04-26-2018, 09:37 AM   #4

You can get the CSA registration done at an RV dealer.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
Check riv.ca for import procedures. https://www.riv.ca/HelpFAQs.aspx#trailer

Pretty sure you don't need any Cdn Stds label on it. That would be impossible on a used one. When you bring it into Cda you pay HST @ border and then get the RIV inspection done prior to getting it plated.

I know for dealer purchased cars you either have to have it shipped out of the state of purchase or pay the state taxes. I've only imported used cars bought from the owners (4 times).
I wish people that don't know what they are talking about would not post. This option is very important if someone is going to import a TT into Canada, if it does not meet the requirements these items have to be corrected at the owners expense and some may not be allowed. My TT had this option since my dealer is not far from the boarder, they didn't know to much about it so I emailed Jayco. Jayco responded it was the propane system had a few different fittings, electrical system could not use any aluminum wire and grounding was different, plumbing drains used a different type of PVC pipe and glue. Nothing of any benefit for USA users but if the unit was imported into Canada it must meet the standards or it won't be licensed or issued a title. So please don't post this is not important its more than just a sticker and will save them from spending lot of money and headaches.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:15 AM   #6

https://blog.pcb.ca/2013/08/importin...n-9-steps/5134

Look at RIV Exceptions

you will have to pay not only the HST but perhaps PA State Sales Tax.

As NAFTA is still alive there should be no duty.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 04-27-2018, 07:15 AM   #7

check with what RIV wants, that's all that matters
Old 04-27-2018, 07:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
I wish people that don't know what they are talking about would not post. This option is very important if someone is going to import a TT into Canada, if it does not meet the requirements these items have to be corrected at the owners expense and some may not be allowed. My TT had this option since my dealer is not far from the boarder, they didn't know to much about it so I emailed Jayco. Jayco responded it was the propane system had a few different fittings, electrical system could not use any aluminum wire and grounding was different, plumbing drains used a different type of PVC pipe and glue. Nothing of any benefit for USA users but if the unit was imported into Canada it must meet the standards or it won't be licensed or issued a title. So please don't post this is not important its more than just a sticker and will save them from spending lot of money and headaches.
By all means post up your step by step details of the process you went through when importing your trailer into Canada.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:48 AM   #9

Before you purchase an RV in the United States, make sure that the RV or Travel Trailer that you are considering is an admissible vehicle for importing into Canada according to Transport Canada and The Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV). In order to be an admissible vehicle, it must comply with all the regulations stated here in the LIST OF VEHICLES ADMISSIBLE FROM THE UNITED STATES.
Note: At this time, you are only checking to see that the Manufacture, Make, Model, and Year of the vehicle appears on the list above. You don't have to worry about modifications until after you bring the vehicle across the border (daytime running lights, metric odometer, etc.).
After Purchase and Before Crossing the Border:

Once you have decided to make a purchase and payment arrangements have been made, you can now start gathering all the necessary documentation you will need to cross the border. In order to avoid any hold-up or complications at the border, you will need to:
  • Fax two complete copies of the Title to the US Customs 72 hours prior to your crossing. This is done in order to satisfy the U.S. Customs Vehicle Export requirements. (note: 72 hours is suggested for all exports but required for air and sea vessel exports)
  • Obtain or help you obtain VIN specific recall clearance letters. These letters must be obtained from the manufactures of the vehicle. In the case of importing a motorized RV, you must have a letter from both manufacture of the chassis and the manufacture of the coach (IE: Ford and Forest River).
At the Border:

At the border, you may be asked for original title, registration (or proof of ownership), sales receipts, Vehicle Import Form (Form 1), and the recall clearance letters. With this documentation, you should have a smooth border crossing experience.

U.S. Customs: You will need to present the original title and the RV or Travel Trailer to the U.S. border patrols. They will already have the other two copies that we will have faxed to them, but you may want to bring two more just in case.
Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA): The CBSA officers are going to check that your vehicle is admissible, check that you have necessary documentation including the Title and registration or proof of ownership and provide you with the Vehicle Import Form (Form 1).
Fill out Form 1 and keep it in your vehicle. You will need this in order to get your vehicle licensed in your province or territory.
You may also be able to pay your RIV registration fees at the border. Some border crossing locations will allow you to pay with credit card or cash, while others do not have this capability. If you do have the option of paying it at the border, it will make the next steps easier.
(If you are purchasing from Paul Sherry RVs, we will ensure the above steps are taken appropriately)
After Vehicle Entry into Canada:

You will have a 45 day grace period to have any needed modifications done and get an RIV inspection. There are a few steps involved.
RIV Registration Fee: Once paid, you will be mailed an RIV inspection form.
Vehicle Modifications: If your vehicle may need some modifications daylight running kits, metric odometer, etc.) in order to be considered an admissible vehicle. Get these done ONLY AFTER you have your RIV inspection form.
RIV Inspection: Take your vehicle to an authorized inspection center (most Canada Tires are authorized centers) to be inspected. Once passed you will be mailed a Canadian Clearance sticker.
After your RV passes inspection you will be able to get it licensed in your state or province.
2017 Ram 3500, Big Horn, 6.7, Crew, Long, DRW, Aisin, 4:10. Full timer in a Pinnacle
Old 04-27-2018, 08:09 AM   #10

Quote:
By all means post up your step by step details of the process you went through when importing your trailer into Canada.
Did I say I have imported a TT into Canada, NO. I guess you didn't read what the OP was asking, this is typical of online forums. All I stated was that since they are looking to buy a TT in the USA from a USA dealer and import it back to Canada its much easier if it is built with the Canadian Standards Option. This way when they do the RIV inspection they have a certificate from Jayco showing it meets the code, without the TT will have to be modified to meet the code, insp fees, etc. So it much cheaper to pay the $200 up front and not have to worry. If they purchase a USA made TT from a Canadian dealer that dealer will automatically order the option or it may be mandatory by Jayco. If this wasn't a big deal Jayco would not offer it as an option so roll your eyes all you want.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Did I say I have imported a TT into Canada, NO. I guess you didn't read what the OP was asking, this is typical of online forums. All I stated was that since they are looking to buy a TT in the USA from a USA dealer and import it back to Canada its much easier if it is built with the Canadian Standards Option. This way when they do the RIV inspection they have a certificate from Jayco showing it meets the code, without the TT will have to be modified to meet the code, insp fees, etc. So it much cheaper to pay the $200 up front and not have to worry. If they purchase a USA made TT from a Canadian dealer that dealer will automatically order the option or it may be mandatory by Jayco. If this wasn't a big deal Jayco would not offer it as an option so roll your eyes all you want.
OP just needs to ask RIV what's required, they are the ones that spec requirements. CSO isn't listed as one of them.

By all means continue attacking me though, it's lots of fun. LOL
Old 04-27-2018, 08:46 AM   #12

Quote:
It is required by a dealer to SELL a trailer in Canada, not to import one. .
I am tired of reading your crap suggestions. So you are saying its a double standard depending on who sold it. I will believe what Jayco told me long before what you say. To the OP do your homework, call Jayco to clarify, call a local RIV inspection location and ask them.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:03 AM   #13

Quote:
I am tired of reading your crap suggestions. So you are saying its a double standard depending on who sold it. I will believe what Jayco told me long before what you say. To the OP do your homework, call Jayco to clarify, call a local RIV inspection location and ask them.
Not sure how I can make this clear to you. You're the one here that is full of crap.

The CSO option is NOT required to import a new trailer into Canada from the US. It MUST have the US compliance label on it though.

What Jayco told you is meaningless. The ONLY requirements to be satisfied are those laid out by RIV.

The only place a CSA sticker might be requested is at a dealer for servicing the unit. That's their call, not a law. Dealers don't want Cdns importing trailers as they lose a sale and a fat profit. Also check if warranty is transferrable to Cda.

At this point I suggest that the OP phone RIV as they will tell you that you need to bring the trailer to the border with the bill of sale and then pay the 295+HST & HST on the trailer and head to Canadian Tire within the time limit for the federal certification. Other than that I'm done with this thread... way too much fake news.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:47 AM   #14

Since your buying NEW at the Hershey show you might be able to order one that meets CDN standards there... some dealers will even help you with the paperwork to cross the boarder.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Old 04-27-2018, 11:31 AM   #15

Quote:
What Jayco told you is meaningless. The ONLY requirements to be satisfied are those laid out by RIV.
And what the RIV requires is that the vehicle be brought up to Canadian Standards to pass inspection. That is what is said on the original RIV page linked. So if you don't have the Canadian Standards package, you will have to make those modifications to pass. This *could* include rewiring and replumbing and reworking the LPG system. If Jayco doesn't actually use aluminum wiring, and does use CSA rated fittings and fixtures and assembly methods throughout the assembly process, then you *might* not have to do anything.

Better to get the package up front if you can to smooth the entry.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:57 PM   #16

Wow! I can’t believe how hot under the collar everyone is getting. It seems a Canadian buying in the states is a pain in the butt. Hubby seemed to think it might be cheaper to buy in the states.I can’t be bothered with the hassle.
Old 04-29-2018, 04:40 AM   #17

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
I have purchased many in the US and brought them back over. You have to pay part of the tax when you get to the border. They will fill out forms and give them to you, there is a number on the upper right hand corner of the form that you have to register on line when you get home. There you will receive instructions as to what to do next. The trailer can be taken to Canadian Tire for inspection (at least that's who did it when i was importing them). Major inspection was for proper tires, and lights! Only painful part of the process is when they figure out value and the US exchange rate ..... except if you are lucky like i was,when the Canadian and US dollars were around the same. and the one time when the Canadian Dollar was higher, and the value of the pop-up went down

BTW ..... lets all get along here, it's been a damn long winter, but looks like Spring is finally here ( at least in SW Ontario), lets get out there, wash the winter blues off the outsides of the trailer, pack her up, get to a campground, and give your fellow campers a hug!
Old 04-29-2018, 06:35 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
And what the RIV requires is that the vehicle be brought up to Canadian Standards to pass inspection.
Well then the woman on the phone at RIV lied to me...

She did point out this part: "Prior to purchasing and permanently importing your trailer into Canada, we strongly recommend the potential importer to contact our office in order to ensure the validity of the vehicle identification number (VIN)"

From the trailer requirements (cars are different):
1) It must bear a legible, valid, 17-digit VIN that has been issued by the original equipment manufacturer (OEM).
2) It must bear a legible U.S. Statement of Compliance (SOC) label, issued by the OEM.
3) It must bear a label, legibly indicating the vehicle's weight ratings (both GVWR and GAWR).
4) It must bear a label, legibly indicating the recommended tire pressures (PSI).

At Crappy Tire they don't do much more than check the labels.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:28 PM   #19
Site Team

A reminder from the forum rules:

Be courteous!
We aim to ensure that the forum is an enjoyable place that you want to visit time and time again.Welcome newcomers to our growing community. Many of our community's members have a wealth of knowledge and much to share. Please help new members learn about how to find information and resources and how to get involved in the Community. Our underlying philosophy is that the relationships we build here are what sets us apart from other boards - we are more friendly, helpful, insightful, respectful and fun.
Our rules extend to all sections of the website including private messaging.
Do not engage in personal attacks. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Excessive sarcasm, extreme belligerence, insults, profanity, extreme anger, offensive comments about race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, and national origin, are not acceptable.
Do not post libelous remarks or directly misleading information.
Stay on topic by keeping discussions relevant and on track.
Harassment, stalking or predatory behavior will not be tolerated.
Do not post the same discussion in more than one forum.
Participants may not post or bump threads to pad post counts. Bumping is posting useless information, posting one-liners or any other action to deliberately keep a thread hot.
Posts containing explicit, obscene or vulgar language, images or links to websites with adult content/images or punctuation marks designed to "trick" our obscenity filter will be removed.
Be mindful of yourself and others. This forum is not a democracy; it is privately owned and we make the rules. If rules are violated we retain the right at our discretion to remove, edit or delete posts and if necessary ban or remove members. Any abuse toward our staff may/will result in immediate suspension of your account.
Public discussion about moderation or moderator decisions is not allowed. If a moderator deletes or edits one of your posts and you disagree with the action, contact the moderator concerned. Do not repost deleted material.
NO SPAM! Our user base is not a resource to be "mined" by individuals, groups, or businesses, for profit or not for profit. Participants may not post affiliate links or direct others to any pages at their own commercial website or website in which they have a commercial interest, including informational pages unless a vendor account has been established and then only as proscribed by the site management.
Trolling and cyberstalking are NOT allowed and are grounds for account restriction or banishment. Trolling on this board includes posting controversial and often irrelevant or off-topic messages with the intention of (or anticipated result of) baiting other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal, harmonious on-topic discussion, especially when a pattern of such posting is apparent.
Discussions about politics, weaponry and religion are permitted only in association with the topic of this forum and will be closed or removed if they become disruptive.
We take the "be nice" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate ANY rudeness.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:42 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycojay View Post
I have purchased many in the US and brought them back over. You have to pay part of the tax when you get to the border. They will fill out forms and give them to you, there is a number on the upper right hand corner of the form that you have to register on line when you get home. There you will receive instructions as to what to do next. The trailer can be taken to Canadian Tire for inspection (at least that's who did it when i was importing them). Major inspection was for proper tires, and lights! Only painful part of the process is when they figure out value and the US exchange rate ..... except if you are lucky like i was,when the Canadian and US dollars were around the same. and the one time when the Canadian Dollar was higher, and the value of the pop-up went down

BTW ..... lets all get along here, it's been a damn long winter, but looks like Spring is finally here ( at least in SW Ontario), lets get out there, wash the winter blues off the outsides of the trailer, pack her up, get to a campground, and give your fellow campers a hug!
Yep...like said above. I brought mine across, paid what I had to at the border, showed them there were no outstanding recalls, and went to Canadian Tire then got the licence. Couldn’t have been easier.
There was no Canadian Standards sticker
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW