Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-26-2017, 07:12 PM   #1

Portable directv (sd) dish

Practically new (used twice for 6 days total) portable DirecTV dish (SD only) with tripod, 75' (50' & 25') coax cable, thru-window/door connection, satellite finder, compass, etc. Sold my 154BH and have no need for it. NOTE: purchase must have DirecTV subscription and receiver; I used my home HD receiver configured to receive SD signals. $100 OBO. (541) 673 5240. I was trying to get this into the Accessories For Sale tab - perhaps my bad - oh well.

JEFF1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:06 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF1963 View Post
Practically new (used twice for 6 days total) portable DirecTV dish (SD only) with tripod, 75' (50' & 25') coax cable, thru-window/door connection, satellite finder, compass, etc. Sold my 154BH and have no need for it. NOTE: purchase must have DirecTV subscription and receiver; I used my home HD receiver configured to receive SD signals. $100 OBO. (541) 673 5240. I was trying to get this into the Accessories For Sale tab - perhaps my bad - oh well.
Sorry to say, but a tripod / SD dish is pretty much toast. Everything is HD except Direct mobile autotune are SD only. Pretty much everything with Dish is HD. The tripod is maybe worth $25 but the dish itself is junk.

Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 07:06 AM   #3
Site Team

I see a load of tripod dishes on the side of the road around here. Also many don't go to the trouble of even removing them from the roof.

If the portable direct antenna was not so expensive, I would get one but for now it's out of my price range for the camping we do. I already have it at home so would need a receiver for the road.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 07:40 AM   #4

Where ru located?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
dgantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 08:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I see a load of tripod dishes on the side of the road around here. Also many don't go to the trouble of even removing them from the roof.

If the portable direct antenna was not so expensive, I would get one but for now it's out of my price range for the camping we do. I already have it at home so would need a receiver for the road.
Keep your eyes open for a Slimline DirecTV Dish at a home or rental propertly. DirecTV still says if you move "take your receiver and leave the dish". When a new owner/renter moves in DirecTV always installs a new antenna. That "old antenna" is available for the taking if you ask the home owner, etc. I use a Slimline and a tripod from Satellite TV for RV - Tripod - Slimline - Dish - DirectTV - RV television - Recreational Vehicles - RVers - DishTV - Satellite Dish - FTA - Tripod and it has worked great for over six years, but I was getting concerned about my dish. It has been up and down so many times I felt I needed a spare. Not to carry around with me all the time, but just to have it needed. About the time I started thinking about this my neighbor at my home base moved. His virtually brand new Slimline dish is now in my home base garage ready when needed.

The tripod I use is a bit pricey, but worth it in my book.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 08:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
Keep your eyes open for a Slimline DirecTV Dish at a home or rental propertly. DirecTV still says if you move "take your receiver and leave the dish". The tripod I use is a bit pricey, but worth it in my book.
Dish does the same thing. Leaving the dish when you move is and incentive to the new owner to sign up for Sat Tv even though Direct or Dish will install a new dish when a new customer signs up.

I am a Dish customer [was direct back in the day but that is another story] and use a Pathway 2x to feed HD to both receivers in my White Hawk. SD for me is like going back to black and white. Why have nice new HD flat screens in your RV and be limited to SD because that is all that you can get from an auto mobile direct tv antennae? You can get HD with the fixed roof units and the appropriate HD tripod mounted dish if you are a Direct customer. Dish offers HD thru its mobile auto units.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:09 PM   #7

All that portable directv sat dish stuff

Bassdog - if SD, et al, is toast why does mine work so well? The HD receiver I use at home was easily configured to receive SD, then reconfigured back to HD when I return home. In any event, the relative picture difference between HD and SD from less than 10 feet is negligible; furthermore, the very small 154BH I had could hardly accommodate something greater than a 22" TV. Additionally, I elected the 18" x 20" SD capable sat dish because it was quite a bit smaller than the Slimline - much easier to transport and store when not in use. Receipt of SD and HD is a function of what one's DirecTV receiver can receive and the dish capability even if DirecTV transmits only in HD. As may be discerned from my Signature, I live in Roseburg, Oregon. Sorry to refute your assertions Bassdog but: (1) some may not need HD and; (2) I researched my SD choice thoroughly before deciding SD was sufficient for me and believed (naively perhaps) the facts I gleaned and finally: (3) while I'm sure Bassdog's advice is altruistic, I adjure anyone interested to do their own research and not rely on any individual opinion.
JEFF1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Bassdog - if SD, et al, is toast why does mine work so well? The HD receiver I use at home was easily configured to receive SD, then reconfigured back to HD when I return home. In any event, the relative picture difference between HD and SD from less than 10 feet is negligible; furthermore, the very small 154BH I had could hardly accommodate something greater than a 22" TV. Additionally, I elected the 18" x 20" SD capable sat dish because it was quite a bit smaller than the Slimline - much easier to transport and store when not in use. Receipt of SD and HD is a function of what one's DirecTV receiver can receive and the dish capability even if DirecTV transmits only in HD. As may be discerned from my Signature, I live in Roseburg, Oregon. Sorry to refute your assertions Bassdog but: (1) some may not need HD and; (2) I researched my SD choice thoroughly before deciding SD was sufficient for me and believed (naively perhaps) the facts I gleaned and finally: (3) while I'm sure Bassdog's advice is altruistic, I adjure anyone interested to do their own research and not rely on any individual opinion.
Were you using the Genie HD DVR receiver at the time? I'm trying to figure out what portable dish to buy for the TT when I get Directv installed this Friday.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:21 AM   #9

Quote:
If you're happy with SD in your RV, then you are good to go with Direct's offering of portable equipment. As for the "toast" reference, the meaning is the value of the SD equipment the OP is offering has plummented to the level of a boat anchor. The boat anchor is probably worth more.

I understand your logic and with a smaller Tv it may be easier to settle with SD. If you can't detect the difference between HD and SD at any distance, then you should be fine going the SD route. HD receivers receive both hd and sd signals so that's not the issue here. Call me spoiled but after upgrading to HD a few years ago, I wasn't happy limiting myself to SD anywhere or any time. If you are interested in SD antanees, check the dumpsters in your area. They are harder to find now since most were trashed 5 years ago. I found 2 direct SD dishes and 3 Dish SD dishes in my barn last fall and they went to the recycling center with a bunch of other outdated and worthless things that seem to collect in a barn.
Old 08-25-2017, 03:04 PM   #10

JEFF1963: Is your DirecTV dish still for sale or did it end up in the dumpster as Bassdogs predicted?

KYCAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote