Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-03-2021, 11:53 AM   #1

12v electronics project gut check

Curious the hive-mind's thoughts on a 12v electrical project I'm considering.

New owner of a 377RLBH; no kids here so I am working on setting up the bunkhouse as an office space. I have an LED computer monitor and laptop that both run on 19.5v that I would like to be able to wire into the 12v system so as to maximize my future options for sites without electricity (the unit came with the 190W panel and GoPower controller, so there is easy expansion capability there on the solar and battery side.)

The monitor draws 4.7A and the power supply for the laptop has an output rating of 9.23A. I'm assuming the difference in voltage rating (19V for one and 19.5V for the other) is negligible.

My thought is I could wire into one of the empty 12v circuits on the power distribution panel, not one of the "top 10" that is for low current operations. https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/po...s/4500-series/

The voltage conversion would be done with a buck transformer, e.g. https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Conver...tronics&sr=1-3

As I understand it, upping the voltage drops the resulting current (?), so the question is, would a 20A circuit be acceptable here or does it need to be 30A? It looks like I have one 30A circuit open on the distributor, but more 20A space.

Also more generally, is there any good way to monitor total current draw on the 12v system?

Is my thinking here in line at all with reality or am I way off? Jayco obviously advises against any "alterations" but it seems to me that this is akin to adding a circuit to any other breaker box, so long as you don't overload the total capacity.
bradjones1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 01:07 PM   #2

Why not just get a converter that changes the 12 VDC to AC in the right format for your computer. I would get one that is a true sine wave inverter. Many people use these for travel or computer use in cars. They come in various wattages one of which should fit your needs
campingva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 01:30 PM   #3

The motivation here I think is that both appliances take DC power directly, so why go DC - AC - DC?
Old 02-03-2021, 01:40 PM   #4

X2 on just using an inverter. So much easier. Being an electronic tech I love doing things like you are considering but it just may not be worth the hassle because an inverter does everything you need without much effort.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 01:52 PM   #5

I wired in a couple of 12V aux outlets (flexible use). Then when we bring our computers (hate having to work when camping). I have a very small inverter I will plug in, that is just big enough.

I did a quick look on a few electronic part supplier sites, and did see some 12V -19V power adaptors. In my quick look 5A was the highest rating I saw. Digi-key would be a great place to start looking.

Have you looked at your devices, and determined if the manufacture, has a 12V power cord option? Years ago, I had one for my first laptop.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 01:54 PM   #6

Thanks - so if I were to go that route - you're still starting with 12V, and I've already identified the circuit the USB charger is on (where I would likely tap into) is a 15A fuse. Given I would be drawing 15A *at 19V*, is this underpowered?
Old 02-03-2021, 02:16 PM   #7

I must be missing something here as the current ratings you mentioned for your items seem rather high. I just looked at my HP laptop power supply and it only draws 2.31 amps at 19.5 volts and 1.1 amps at 120 volts. Typical LED monitors pull a lot less than what you describe. Is yours a CRT monitor?

If you went with an inverter, for the laptop alone you only would need about 250-300 watt model which would give you some spare capacity.

Converting to "watts" to see what might be required, your stated amperage requirement is about 271 watts. Using an inverter would require something in that neighborhood (very roughly).

You may be able to get by with a 500 watt inverter or may want something a little bigger to give some spare power and not push the inverter to its limit.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 02:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjones1 View Post
The motivation here I think is that both appliances take DC power directly, so why go DC - AC - DC?
Agree but why try to reinvent the wheel. At the risk of damaging something beyond repair. 12 VDC outlet to inverter all done. Time for next project.
campingva is offline   Reply With Quote