Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-09-2017, 03:55 AM   #1

14 jayco bungalow 40bhs - Mouse issues

Just curious if any other bungalow 40BHS OWNERS. Have had mouse issues.

I have done all the regular preventative stuff. I had an RV tech tell me they or mostl likely coming in from behind/ under the converter which I'm gonna deal today.

We didn't have any few 2 seasons. 2 years ago we have a lo of mouse poop and last year just a tiny bit but I have 6 in trls plus had it sprayed with mouse free

Nothing will be like dealing al the holes just curious if anyone has advice that worked for them with this specific model
Jessyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 03:56 AM   #2

Can a moderator add mouse issues to my subject please
Old 07-09-2017, 09:02 AM   #3

The model doesn't have anything to do with mice. The mice don't know a Jayco from a Forest River from a Winnebago let alone a Bungalow BHTS or BHQS, it just wants to get inside your camper. If a mouse wants in, it will get in. Mice can squeeze through a very small opening. You need to find every single opening and close it tightly. Crawl under the camper and make sure there are no holes that can't be seen from inside. On the Greyhawk Motorhome we owned, there was a 6 inch hole cut under the shower to pass some wiring through from the under carriage that was never sealed. I discovered it while tracing a water leak from the shower drain. I could see the ground through the hole. A raccoon could have gotten in through that hole!

Peppermint oil and moth balls are a good deterrent. You can put the moth balls outside, around the camper and put the peppermint oil inside the camper.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:52 PM   #4

100% on all this I know!!!!
Reason I put a model is for other 40BHS owners to comment on tips or tricks they may have used above everything you would normally do.

I was told when taking the converter out those 6" holes are going to need to be filled.

I'm asking if anyone has investigated behind the converter that is in the back bunk room.

Reason I suspect this may be fact is that my storages that lead up into the cabinetry where the converter is in is always the worst hit areas and you can't get up there any other way but from the ground which would be behind or u see the converter because everything else is sealed!!

Hopefully I have some free time coming up to look at it myself and post a reply... we never ever get Mice during the spring - fall..... it's always after we have winterized and are gone that they " try and move in " with the amount of traps I set now!
Old 07-09-2017, 06:54 PM   #5

While you are mentioning deterants which all of the above work... a little old lady a few months back told me to invest in rubber snakes and put a few in the trailer and a few outside around it / on the frame of the trailer...." predator "

Might be enough for them to not even come close
Old 07-10-2017, 07:45 AM   #6
Site Team

I have heard of spray expanding foam that has mouse/bug inhibiting feature added but I have looked in home stores and have not found it yet. I have never had a problem with mice in my latest rig. In my last rig, I learned to never use mouse poison.

Never found the carcass but smelled it for weeks!!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:12 AM   #7

I worked for a wildlife and pest control company for a season and the owner told me the "rodent proof" spray foam is useless. When we arrived at a customer's house, we set traps inside the house and sealed the outside. We stuffed copper mesh in the cracks and sealed them with mortar repair. Mice will not eat metal and copper does not rust like steel wool. The mortar repair has sand in it the mice do not like either. Find your entry holes and seal them.

https://www.amazon.com/Copper-Mesh-R.../dp/B0001IMLTO

https://www.amazon.com/SAKRETE-AMERI...=mortar+repair
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:38 AM   #8

We had a mouse issue once put steel wool at the power cord area and have not had any since.
MNWild is offline   Reply With Quote