Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-17-2017, 12:50 PM   #1

2 Months For a Service Appointment?

We returned Saturday from a month in Florida. It was the innagrual trip in our new 2016 Alante and we accumulated a 10 item list of issues needing attention. A leaking windshield, seized lock to the shore power cord compartment and a front door lock that is often hard to open are on the list. The door actually locked us out of the trailer 3 times.

My wife called for an appointment yesterday and was given July 17th as the first available.. Two months away!

We're new to the camping world and not knowledgeable in this area, so I thought I'd throw it out to my Jayco friends for their comments and maybe, suggestions. Am I being unreasonable?

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
soperman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 01:02 PM   #2

Too many RV issues and too few techs equal a long wait for consumers. I do not think two months out should surprise anyone.
2015 Jay Series 1007 UD (sold)

"Life is so very short, eat the dessert first".
eng45ine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:24 PM   #3

I called the dealership ( a huge RV dealership ) we bought from the last week of April to de-winterize , install a slide topper and fix a few warranty items. Was told March 29th ( Memorial day ) was the soonest they could get to it. They called back the next day and said we are closed that day will have to be the 30th. Called the small Jayco dealer in my town after receiving that call and they said bring it in the next morning and we can take care of it.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:00 PM   #4

Most times you're better off dealing with an RV repair outfit, NOT a RV dealer. RV dealers SELL RVs, repair facilities don't care where you bought it and in my experience do better work. The repair facilities are in business to repair, regardless of the brand, and that's how they put food on the table. The selling dealers are in business to sell. Yes, there are a few good selling dealers with excellent service, but you might run into what you've run into, a LONG wait. Only other option, is become your own RV service tech like I have over the years. Cheaper and better work / results.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by soperman3 View Post
We returned Saturday from a month in Florida. It was the innagrual trip in our new 2016 Alante and we accumulated a 10 item list of issues needing attention. A leaking windshield, seized lock to the shore power cord compartment and a front door lock that is often hard to open are on the list. The door actually locked us out of the trailer 3 times.

My wife called for an appointment yesterday and was given July 17th as the first available.. Two months away!

We're new to the camping world and not knowledgeable in this area, so I thought I'd throw it out to my Jayco friends for their comments and maybe, suggestions. Am I being unreasonable?

So much for the two year warranty.
I'd call Jayco and get permission to take it to an independent RV repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Larry Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mac View Post
So much for the two year warranty.
I'd call Jayco and get permission to take it to an independent RV repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coming to realize this is the truth. I fix everything myself because when I'm told it's months to get my rig fixed what's the point?
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:54 PM   #7

It is also about 2 months for Camping World service appointments here in Portland, Oregon. My 2 year warranty expires in mid November. When last in Camping World, I asked one of the service supervisors when I should call to set up an appointment in the fall for any warranty repairs before my warranty expires. She said, "August."
Old 05-18-2017, 01:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
Coming to realize this is the truth. I fix everything myself because when I'm told it's months to get my rig fixed what's the point?
That's wonderful you're able to do your own repairs Screwby, my resume doesn't include those capabilities [emoji15]. We've been discussing Larry Mac's suggestion to use an independent repair facility if we can find one. Something will work..

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2017, 01:17 PM   #9

I have been lucky to have no major warranty issues, a great salesman and dealer. The three problems I have had I took pictures of the item and emailed it to my salesman and within two weeks UPS dropped off the parts from Jayco.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:07 PM   #10

On your door lock issues, I've had great success with a graphite lock lube available at any hardware store. I've used it on all my trailer door and storage compartment locks and it makes them work smoothly. I was really having problems with my pass thru storage doors. I could barely get the key in the lock and was having a heck of time getting the lock to turn. I stopped locking them for fear of not being able to get them open again. The lock lube cleared the problem right up. I need to reapply again, as they are getting a little sticky again, but it was good for a year.
Attached Thumbnails
Lock Lube.jpg  
Old 05-18-2017, 04:27 PM   #11

Thanks WyEm, I'll try it on Saturday. Will let you know 😊

Old 05-18-2017, 08:08 PM   #12

Quote:
That's wonderful you're able to do your own repairs Screwby, my resume doesn't include those capabilities [emoji15]. We've been discussing Larry Mac's suggestion to use an independent repair facility if we can find one. Something will work..

If I ran into something I couldn't handle I'd go independent as well. I hope no offense was taken, I meant none by my statement
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:17 AM   #13

Oh no Screwby.. Absolutely no offense taken 😊

Old 05-19-2017, 05:50 AM   #14

I just got back from our inaugural trip in our eagle ht 28.5rsts. I had 4 minor issues to address. I bought the coach from a local dealer expecting good service, I could have traveled and maybe have saved about $1000 elsewhere. I called the dealer from my campsite the day before we left and they said bring it by on our way home. We were on their lot maybe 3 hours while they fixed everything on the list. Something to be said for buying local, if you have a good dealer that is.
ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:21 AM   #15

We bought "local" too ryder, the dealer is less than 5 miles from our home. Recognize that VT is a very small community, in fact there are only two dealers in the state (2 hours away).

We were first-time buyers and admittedly naive. The subject of service never came up.

We've learned quite a bit since the day we walked into the dealership, mostly negative, but in no way will we allow it to get in the way of the joy of camping.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:59 AM   #16

Like others have said, 2 months is not unusual and often more this time of year when every one is getting their RVs out of storage. I always fix what I can myself and accumulate the warrantee stuff for one big appointment. I found that if you email or text pictures and a list of the warrantee items that allows the dealer to get authorization from Jayco in advance. My dealer called me when the authorizations were in hand and my time on the lot was 2 weeks [had to paint and redecal the front cap] since they had everything ready to go when I dropped off the TT.

Dealers are primarily interested in sales and the service dept is often understaffed. These dealers don't seem that concerned about repeat customers and it is all to common to see/receive a whole different greeting at the front door when asking for service than when you went in to buy. An unfortunate truth about the RV industry.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyEm View Post
On your door lock issues, I've had great success with a graphite lock lube available at any hardware store. I've used it on all my trailer door and storage compartment locks and it makes them work smoothly. I was really having problems with my pass thru storage doors. I could barely get the key in the lock and was having a heck of time getting the lock to turn. I stopped locking them for fear of not being able to get them open again. The lock lube cleared the problem right up. I need to reapply again, as they are getting a little sticky again, but it was good for a year.
Tried this today, but no luck WyEm. I'll be using it on all the locks though.. Thanks for the tip 😊

Old 05-20-2017, 09:38 AM   #18

Quote:

It took my dealer 2 weeks just to reply to my phone call to try and set up an appointment. By that time I had given up on ever hearing from them and made a functional repair myself. We were already in Iowa on a planned 8 day camping trip when they finally got around to returning my call. I never did get a response for the email request I made a week before I called them.

Not sure what I'm going to do when I have an issue that I can't figure out for myself. I may have to make a winter appointment in July just be sure I get on their list.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote