Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-16-2017, 08:33 PM   #1

2000 miles into the trip...

...to Massachusetts and no real problems except:

New Tire Minder TPMS loses a signal on occasion and beeps like crazy scaring the crap out of us. After we stop, it picks up the signal again.

May need to buy new tires for the TV. SWMBO gave the okay. Looking at the trailer tires, they may be getting close also. I asked SWMBO if she had looked a the trailer tires and she said she had. She said may be they should be replaced also. (oh, boy!) These are actually wearing out evenly and do have about 15,000 miles on them. Seems they should last longer?

There are some really rag tag campgrounds out there. Traveling I-90. Hope to find a route around Chicago tomorrow.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:39 PM   #2

Don't have a map in front of me now but before I hit Chicago I go down to I-80 to avoid Chicago altogether and come out near Gary. I-90 thru Chicago will give you grey hair for sure.
Have a safe and fun trip.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:43 PM   #3

I concur, there is no way to avoid the traffic but that is the best way.

Just past Chicago eastbound is the Shipshewana area which has some nice campgrounds, great Amish cooking, furniture and

Jayco factory tour. If you have the time.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:54 PM   #4

Just asked DW and she said at Sioux Falls take 29 down to 80 or farther east on 90 to 35 to Des Moines and hit 80 east. She said " if he goes any farther east on 90 he's on his own".
Old 06-17-2017, 04:28 AM   #5

I agree about I-80. Not knowing any better I made the trip through Chicago on I-90 - NEVER again! Of course it didn't help that at the time about 50 miles of I-90 north of Chicago was torn up for "construction".
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 05:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post

New Tire Minder TPMS loses a signal on occasion and beeps like crazy scaring the crap out of us. After we stop, it picks up the signal again.

May need to buy new tires for the TV. SWMBO gave the okay. Looking at the trailer tires, they may be getting close also. I asked SWMBO if she had looked a the trailer tires and she said she had. She said may be they should be replaced also. (oh, boy!) These are actually wearing out evenly and do have about 15,000 miles on them. Seems they should last longer?

There are some really rag tag campgrounds out there. Traveling I-90. Hope to find a route around Chicago tomorrow.

Murff
When my TPMS acted up like this I took the one off and adjusted the valve core until it was just firm. They are very sensitive about settings. Never had another problem.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelly View Post
I agree about I-80. Not knowing any better I made the trip through Chicago on I-90 - NEVER again! Of course it didn't help that at the time about 50 miles of I-90 north of Chicago was torn up for "construction".
I don't like I-80 in a car let alone hauling my RV.
When I went camping near Green Bay last summer I went well out of my way to avoid Chicago suburbs all-together. I took I-74 to I-39 then went north

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 03:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
Just asked DW and she said at Sioux Falls take 29 down to 80 or farther east on 90 to 35 to Des Moines and hit 80 east. She said " if he goes any farther east on 90 he's on his own".
Sounds like advice I'd listen to. Sounds like it comes from personal experience...
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 04:24 PM   #9

It has been a while but some of the worst Interstate I've ever driven on is I-80 in Illinois. Destroyed the right front strut on a Volvo I owned due to potholes near Joliet. Hopefully they finally fixed it, but since Illinois is broke and hasn't had a budget in 3 years, I'll continue to avoid I-80 in the Land of Lincoln whenever possible.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 04:31 PM   #10

Poor Murff, he doesn't know what the hell to do now!!! Looks like I've got to go back there for the 4th time.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:34 PM   #11

Quote:

Are you using the signal booster on your TPMS system? Is the booster located at the front of your TT and connected to a power source that is always "on" while you are on the road?

I had a loss of signal issue on my Seneca even though I was using a booster, called Minder Research and explained my situation. They asked a bunch of questions all of which I had already checked. Then they told me with the proliferation of devices near the frequency the system operates at sometimes a second booster is necessary. They sent me one for free which I installed mid-coach and have never had another loss of signal. You may need to install a second booster (maybe in your TV?) to eliminate the problem. Call Minder, they are happy to discuss any issues and want you to be satisfied. I found that out personally!

By the way the Illinois Toll Road (I-90) from the Wisconsin/Illinois line to the western edge of Chicago is completed now, 3 lanes in each direction almost everywhere. Still some construction on some ramps but minimal impact to through travelers. Just went back and forth from Ohio to Rockford over Memorial Day. One way we sometimes avoid Chicago proper is to take I-290 to I-355 down to I-80 skirting the city. Still busy during peak periods but we haven't come to a standstill like you frequently do if you take I-90 through the city.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:25 PM   #12

Left Madison at 8 this morning. Took I90 and headed toward 290 then 294. Not bad, even with tolls until we got to 80/90.

If someone k ows the Einstein at the Illinois DOT that closed one lane of eastbound 90 where 294 enters it so thee lanes go into one, slap him upside the head for Ol' Murff!

Murff

Old 06-21-2017, 08:04 AM   #13

Now thay we have traveled 3000 miles our biggest complaint are the condition of our highways! Our poor White Hawk has had the hell hammered out of her on this trip. A couple of "fixed" issues have reappeared. I hope the dealer will take care of them after we return home, assuming the 20MRB can survive the journey.

SWMBO is so upset, she has been wondering if a motorhome would be a better cboice.

Murff

Old 06-21-2017, 09:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Now thay we have traveled 3000 miles our biggest complaint are the condition of our highways! Our poor White Hawk has had the hell hammered out of her on this trip. A couple of "fixed" issues have reappeared. I hope the dealer will take care of them after we return home, assuming the 20MRB can survive the journey.

SWMBO is so upset, she has been wondering if a motorhome would be a better cboice.

Murff
Welcome to the east coast! Couldn't agree more on the conditions of the highways. If you need a dealer to look at something while you're here, try Forrest Marine and RV in Tyngsboro. We're very happy with them, and IMHO their service department is top notch.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:23 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

I would say a MH would just have more stuff to tear up, more expensive and complicated to repair and more upfront expense. Roads are hard on everything.

JMHO,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote