Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-22-2015, 03:22 PM   #1

2014 jayflight 22fb power converter????

well I accidentally hooked my battery up wrong and I think I fried my converter?? I checked the fuses and both 40 amps were blown, I replaced them and checked all of the other fuses, and they were fine. I don't here the converter coming on like it usually does. also the only thing that's not working is the radio, but I checked the fuse and its fine?? are there other fuses for the radio that I cant see? does it sound like I fried my converter??
seaswirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 04:21 PM   #2

I also posted this response in your other thread;
I suggest this as a quick check of the converter. Measure the voltage at the battery without shore power connected. Next, plug in the shore power and check the battery voltage now. Usually, the measured voltage will be a bit higher, like one volt, with the converter operating and charging the battery. If you have a helper, you can monitor the voltage at the moment shore power is connected, and see the rise as it happens.

As for the radio, I don't know if there is a fuse right at the radio, but it's possible. You may try measuring for 12 volts at the back of the radio, which would require removing it from the mounting.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:25 PM   #3

thank you for your info, im gonna go look at the radio, according to the paperwork there are fuses in the wireing behind the radio.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:52 PM   #4

yes I pulled the radio out and there were 2 fuses in there,, they were both blown, so I will replace them as well. then I will test with a volt meter.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:09 PM   #5

Okay good news about the fuse at the radio.
Below is a bit more info........
Hate to say this, but transistors can fail faster than a fuse in a reverse voltage situation. Proper circuit design for reverse polarity protection is to use a diode connected backward across the supply, downstream from the fuse, or a diode in series with the 12 volt supply to only allow current in the proper direction. A reverse diode will clamp the reverse voltage extremely fast then blow the fuse in the process. I had a 2011 Jayflight 22FB and the brand of converter was a Progressive Dynamics. That converter had reverse polarity protection in its design. Your converter may have the protection, and your radio might have as well. Sorry if I'm getting too technical.