Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-14-2017, 09:21 PM   #1

2017 Winterizing Thread

I still have a few trips planned. But...

Those of you that live where this is an issue to begin with...

When do you plan on shutting your rig down for the year, this year?

I follow the 'Thanksgiving to Tax Day' winter schedule, and usually re-winterize 4 times throughout that period since I can't guess the seasons any better than I can Wall St.

Too soon to think about?
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:39 PM   #2

It's just about that time here in Montana, but I blow out the lines with an air compressor so it is never permanent for the season, it only takes about 15 minutes to winterize, and nothing to undo it, just add water!

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 04:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrotor View Post
I blow out the lines with an air compressor so it is never permanent for the season, it only takes about 15 minutes to winterize, and nothing to undo it, just add water!
I do the same thing for Jan > March. We get back home just before New Years and will do it then. If we head south again in Feb or March for a long weekend (4-5 days) then I'll just re-blow when we get home.

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 06:34 AM   #4

Here in Cincinnati, we'll probably make our last trip the first weekend in November, then batten down the hatches until early May.

For those of you that blow out the lines, how exactly do you do that? Where do you hook up the air compressor? Do you need to do multiple places? How much psi do you need? Will a tire inflator work, or do I need a heavy duty compressor?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bearcat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:00 AM   #5
Site Team

For you all who are blowing out the lines, I assume then that you are not adding antifreeze correct?
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:16 AM   #6

Winterizing this weekend. Sigh....
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:39 AM   #7

Taking a VERY DIFFERENT path this year!

I'm cleaning out my barn/shop of ALL the clutter and replacing the wood stove with propane heat. There'll be enough room for the TT to stay above freezing the whole winter!

No cover controversy neither...

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
For you all who are blowing out the lines, I assume then that you are not adding antifreeze correct?
That is correct, no antifreeze in water line. I still put antifreeze in gray and black tank, down the sinks and toilet and shower. But you have to make sure that there is no water at all in the lines. I set my pressure to 30psi and blow in through the city water line. Open one valve at a time starting with the low drain points and work my way up and back down.
mod: Dimming awning
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
SOMBATFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:42 AM   #9

Sometime in November I'll winterize mine

I tried compressed air but I'm not convinced it is 100% foolproof. I say that because I tried it, then said "I'm going to add anti-freeze anyway", and the amount of clear water that came out before I started seeing pink at the faucets was very surprising... So, I just don't trust it.

Your mileage may vary, as always.

Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMBATFAMILY View Post
That is correct, no antifreeze in water line. I still put antifreeze in gray and black tank, down the sinks and toilet and shower. But you have to make sure that there is no water at all in the lines. I set my pressure to 30psi and blow in through the city water line. Open one valve at a time starting with the low drain points and work my way up and back down.
A small tire inflator compressor is fine and probably best since you don't have to worry about to much psi. I follow the above procedure but add that after I'm finished cycling thru all the fixtures, I start over and do it again just to catch anything that drained or collected anywhere in the pipes. Done this for 10 years on both of my TT's and have never had a problem other than cracking the hand wand on the outside shower because I forgot to open it up to let it drain after I disconnected it from the faucet.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:50 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMBATFAMILY View Post
Thanks. I'll have to look in to this a little more over the next few weeks. I like the idea of not drawing that antifreeze through the fresh water system.

One more question, do you bypass the hot water tank for this process like you do when adding antifreeze or just blow the pressure through it after you manually drain it.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:58 AM   #12

I by pass water heater after I drain and blow air out the drain hole. I by pass because in spring time I sanitized the water lines and fresh water tanks and I don't want it to go into hot water heater.
mod: Dimming awning
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
SOMBATFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:00 AM   #13

First, I drain and bypass the water heater. Then I set my air compressor's output to around 40 PSI, then blow out the lines. I pump antifreeze through the system, and then blow out the lines again. It's twice the work, but in winter around here, temperatures of -30* for extended periods of time are not unheard of, so the belt-and-suspenders approach guarantees that I won't have any problems come springtime.

Our last trip is this weekend, so it won't get winterized until after that. Then the trailer will go into storage sometime around the end of the month. I found a storage yard not far from home that's not too expensive and the owner is easy to work with.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:35 AM   #14
BCK

I adapted a 1/4" air chuck to a brass garden hose fitting so I can attach an air hose directly to the fresh water intake for blowing out the lines. That was 12 years ago and have never once had a problem. Camco makes one now #36143.

I use 40lbs pressure. It takes a little longer than just using rv antifreeze but I prefer it. Like others I put rv antifreeze in the plumbing traps & toilet.
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:45 AM   #15
Site Team

Just ordered the camco fitting. Thanks
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Old 09-15-2017, 10:49 AM   #16

Hoping for one more trip next weekend if the nice weather holds, then it will be time for winterizing the following weekend or so.

Living in one of the coldest capital cities in the world, I am firmly in the antifreeze camp; you don't leave anything to chance when the temps are regularly dipping below the -30 mark (our coldest ever temp was -38F). Of course where @North of 49 lives gets stupid cold; I'd never live there
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 12:19 PM   #17

winterizing

My trailer is set up to winterize, I drain the water heater and use a hose under the kitchen sink to pump in antifreeze. I have never had a problem in the spring flushing out the lines.
turbo130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:14 PM   #18

We store our HTT up north in a barn, and I do not like towing in snow. So It comes out a few weeks before Mother's Day. I usually put her to bed around Halloween. I could probably get a few more weeks in the fall but I like not pushing it. If I stored it at home, I would be winterizing much later in the year.

As for winterizing with CA. I put the water heater in bypass mode and drain it first. then open the valves to the water heater and the bypass valve to flush any standing water out of the lines. As for an adapter, I made mine, it screws into the City Water port. You can buy them too. I connect my CA to it with the pressure regulator turned down to about 40 psi. I just go from faucet to faucet and blow out the water. There is always some water left. I then make sure to close the valves to the water heater and drain again.

I then pump one gallon of antifreeze through the system. I then blow out the lines one last time of any antifreeze. You can tell diluted antifreeze from pure antifreeze when coming out of the faucets. The antifreeze that is blown out of the lines goes into the traps. I can do my whole system with less than a gallon of antifreeze, but I always use a full gallon. I also always make sure I have two gallons on hand, just in case I oops and forget something.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote