Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-11-2022, 10:17 AM   #1
IBK
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Lake havasu city
Posts: 5
2021 redhawk xd 26 frozen plumbing.

Hey there, Iím new here and seriously loving this forum, its helped me greatly as new owner of a 2021 redhawk xd 26.

I need some advice regarding snow camping. We snowboard a lot in mammoth mountain and if the temps get down around 10 degrees my water freezes, BUMMER. I have already removed the hot water control fuse, and the hot water works great in very cold weather. But my system freezes up at night if it gets very cold and we donít use the water overnight. Iíve already insulated the water lines with grey foam tubes , 48 feet of it total. I thought this would work but no luck. What is my best option? Thanks so much in advance.
IBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 10:25 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Denver
Posts: 3,480
Your best option - and one I do when temps get that low - is to winterize before you go to bed. Yeah, it's a pain, but that's what I do. I've got it down to about 10 minutes and 1.5 gallons. So, when the temps drop below mid-teens for us, I do it.

And I sleep well.

That said - I continue my quest to really make the coach as much of a four season coach as I can. Three summers ago, I too put pipe wrap around every inch of exposed pipe I could reach. Unfortunately, even if I got 99% of it wrapped, that 1% caused us to freeze up.


This summer, after summoning up the courage to tackle this, I decided to try pulling off all of the foam, and stringing as much "heat tape" as I could along the same lines. I used "anti ice dam heat cable" from Lowes. 30' of it.


It was a terrible, time consuming, painful task. Again, I think I have 80% of the pipe covered -- heat cable inline, next to the pipes. Zip ties and then the foam pipe wrap went back on.


http://donotfreezesoftware.blogspot....-weve-got.html
http://donotfreezesoftware.blogspot....o-keeping.html
http://donotfreezesoftware.blogspot....art-three.html


I haven't tested it yet. But short of carrying a lot of foam insulation to skirt the coach, and putting a heat source under there, it's about all I could think of.
__________________
2016 Greyhawk 31FK
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 10:35 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Spring
Posts: 928
I just unhook the incoming hose, and drain the lines for overnight, but do not have temperatures below 20F. We do not use water at night anyway.
__________________
2016 Starcraft AR One 18QB
2016 Colorado LT 3.6L V6 Ext. Cab
16WhiteColly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 10:36 AM   #4
IBK
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Lake havasu city
Posts: 5
Thank you so much for your reply. Lots of good info. Yes, same here, it was a pint to wrap the lines and quite a few areas I couldn’t insulate. I gotta look into winterizing, I have no idea what that process is, but ill figure it out. I’m learning the forum, I was trying to figure out how to post pics.
IBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 10:39 AM   #5
IBK
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Lake havasu city
Posts: 5
Where we camp the water lines on the camp sites are shut down for winter. MAMMOTH MOUNTAIN RV PARK. So you fill up and refill as needed . Even my gray and black waste was frozen last weekend , so I couldn’t dump.
IBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 12:00 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Denver
Posts: 3,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBK View Post
I have no idea what that process is, but ill figure it out. Iím learning the forum, I was trying to figure out how to post pics.

This is by far, the safest approach. And one I'll do until I convince myself that my heat-tape works.


As part of the winterization process, they'll tell you to put RV Antifreeze into the drains, so the p-Traps won't freeze. I skip this part, if I'm camping. The p-Traps in mine are all inside, so keeping the coach warm prevents the freezing. My coach is also pretty long, the line runs are long. That's why it takes me about a gallon and a half. Still, that's about $6 - cheap insurance.


The first few times you winterize, it takes a while. Because you're not sure "if you're doing this right." Then you get better at it, and figure out what steps to delete, what new steps to add. You'll eventually get it down to 5-10-15 minutes too.
__________________
2016 Greyhawk 31FK
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 12:03 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Denver
Posts: 3,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBK View Post
Where we camp the water lines on the camp sites are shut down for winter. MAMMOTH MOUNTAIN RV PARK. So you fill up and refill as needed . Even my gray and black waste was frozen last weekend , so I couldn’t dump.
There are heaters that purport to keep the black, grey (and fresh) tanks from freezing, but they don't work very well for us at low temps. Again, mid-teens and up, we can usually survive.

They also make (for extra $$$) heating pads that will wrap your dump valves. I don't have those.

Instead, we do a couple of things: pour a good amount of RV antifreeze down the toilet and minimize the water we put into the black and grey tank. If we snow camp, it's usually for one day, two at the most.

Also - here in Colorado, the odds of the next morning being bright, intense sun are high. Even if the outside temps are low, the sun is so intense we usually warm up and thaw.
__________________
2016 Greyhawk 31FK
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 12:10 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Denver
Posts: 3,480
Onnnnnnnnnnnnne more thing, I'll toss out. We have a special needs son who insists on showers. One at night before bed and one in the morning. While a pain, at least we have a son who insists on being clean.

The day we froze up, I put Plan B into action. We have a 8 gallon tote of fresh water. I bought a 1500 watt immersion heater (the ones that'll keep livestock water troughs warm) and a battery operated hand-held shower. I think the shower was under $30 and the heater under $15.

Fired up the generator, warmed the 8 gallons to 110*F. [ Took about 30 mins. ] Put him into the shower stall, and handed him the wand over the top.

Voila - happy kid. Got a warm shower.
__________________
2016 Greyhawk 31FK
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 12:17 PM   #9
IBK
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Lake havasu city
Posts: 5
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
Onnnnnnnnnnnnne more thing, I'll toss out. We have a special needs son who insists on showers. One at night before bed and one in the morning. While a pain, at least we have a son who insists on being clean.

The day we froze up, I put Plan B into action. We have a 8 gallon tote of fresh water. I bought a 1500 watt immersion heater (the ones that'll keep livestock water troughs warm) and a battery operated hand-held shower. I think the shower was under $30 and the heater under $15.

Fired up the generator, warmed the 8 gallons to 110*F. [ Took about 30 mins. ] Put him into the shower stall, and handed him the wand over the top.

Voila - happy kid. Got a warm shower.



You rock!!!! Thank you so much for all this great info!!!! Cleanliness is godliness!!!
IBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 08:56 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Rock Island
Posts: 1,072
We used to camp all the time at ski resorts, down to -22f, but those were older motor homes also.

It regularly froze up at night and was not a big deal in our situation, you just need to find a way to thaw it out easily. Itís not worth the cost to keep the heat way up all night long.

I did two things, I used heat tape in on the critical lines, like the one to the tank. Inside that insulation you installed would be great, but those areas might not be your problem. In the morning we would start a generator and they would thaw out in less than hour. I also had an old hair dryer and stuck that in the cabinets where it froze regularly.

My biggest problem area was where the water lines ran along corner of the floor and the wall. They were in a small long box, I just ran a wire down through the box and then pulled the heat tape through the box next to the water line. I could thaw those in 20 minutes or less.
__________________
2017 Eagle 291RSTS
2017 Chevy Silverado Duramax 2500
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 09:19 AM   #11
IBK
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Lake havasu city
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
We used to camp all the time at ski resorts, down to -22f, but those were older motor homes also.

It regularly froze up at night and was not a big deal in our situation, you just need to find a way to thaw it out easily. Itís not worth the cost to keep the heat way up all night long.

I did two things, I used heat tape in on the critical lines, like the one to the tank. Inside that insulation you installed would be great, but those areas might not be your problem. In the morning we would start a generator and they would thaw out in less than hour. I also had an old hair dryer and stuck that in the cabinets where it froze regularly.

My biggest problem area was where the water lines ran along corner of the floor and the wall. They were in a small long box, I just ran a wire down through the box and then pulled the heat tape through the box next to the water line. I could thaw those in 20 minutes or less.
Thanks for all this great info.
IBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 10:36 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Rock Island
Posts: 1,072
The other problem area is the valves/drains for the tanks. I would run heat tape around them also. The tanks will freeze but they take longer. Pouring rv antifreeze down each drain before bed will keep the traps from freezing and help keep the tanks slushy. Might need a couple gallons for a weekend.

I was normally up on the mountain for only 3-4 nights a week so I would just bring it home frozen and dump the tanks mid week after it thawed out.

Take a couple 5 gallon jugs of water with you for those times when you canít thaw it out. As long as the drains are clear you can still use the sinks and toilet.

We would stay at resorts all over the west, many have electric hook ups. Some are free. I would also research if there were free showers available. The ski patrol building or ski school building might have facilities you can use. Big resorts may have a rec center like a public indoor pool, or workout area. A few bucks gives you a shower.
__________________
2017 Eagle 291RSTS
2017 Chevy Silverado Duramax 2500
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 04:05 PM   #13
Member
 
JohnK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Holland Landing
Posts: 96
Silly Question Time

If you winterize don't you have to sanitize or is that only if you are going to drink the water?

Regards,

John
__________________
2022 Alante 31V
2015 Greyhawk 31FK (Sold)
2019 Chevrolet Silverado
2017 Grand Design 2150RB (Traded in)
2016 GMC Canyon (Traded in)
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 09:10 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Rock Island
Posts: 1,072
If you add rv anti freeze to the water system, Iím pretty sure it just needs to be rinsed out. Itís designed for the drinking water system, nontoxic.
I donít use it in the water system, just the drains.

I use an air compressor that I bring with me to blow the lines out and call it good.
__________________
2017 Eagle 291RSTS
2017 Chevy Silverado Duramax 2500
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.