Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-10-2017, 08:03 AM   #21

A lot of times people don't know about those mini breakers so it helps. Looks like the panel is just too small. You are on the right track and the quad is about your only option if you want 50a. As mentioned it depends on your needs. The kids are getting older and you may downsize. Or you just get a non BH camper at some point and who knows, it may need 50a to run everything. Like I mentioned in the past only the big campers needed 50a. However now more campgrounds are adding 50a to support them so manufacturers are adding dual AC units, fireplaces and other high draw items to the smaller campers which bumps them up to 50a as well. It is tough to know what direction to go. If it were me I would do 50a just because I plan on camping long term and the flexibility of being able to move the welder outside for something too big to get in the shop is worth it. For others they never will use the additional capacity.

Worst case it could be re-done to 50a later if needed but I normally would just rather spend the money and effort to do it once than have to go back and do it again.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2017, 08:07 AM   #22

I would get a box with a disconnect. You should plug in with power off and unplug with power off. It will help save your plug from arching.

A 70 foot run doesn't require any larger wire size, that is actually considered a short run and will not result in a voltage drop of any consequences.

Good luck !

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 09:15 AM   #23
Site Team

I had double breaker box and just mounted it on the pole and tied it to the box you have pictured.

As stated, you need a disconnect at the receptacle to prevent arcing when plugging in and unplugging. It pits the connectors quickly if not done.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 05:31 AM   #24

Sennister,

I do appreciate all the input. When we bought the 32 I stated we were on an 8-10yr plan with it, based on the boys and possible/hopeful resale value. But as you mentioned it is hard to say what we will do for the next rig and when that may happen.

We only need a 30a for now. And the welder/compressor plug is just inside the door on the left. Plus I have a 40' extension cord for the welder. BUT with the sharing of the plug, I can't run the welder and compressor at the same time if needed. Going to a 50a would allow both to be ran at the same time. Just need to make an adapter for the welder/compressor plug to the rv plug.

Wags/Norty,

My thought was I could go to the panel which is just inside the garage door to turn the breaker on & off, but obviously I would have to be disciplined in doing so. Plus I don't plan on keeping the rig plugged in so if my wife were to plug it in she may not know/ remember how to go inside to do so.

I did find a 50a/20a outlet box w/ breakers in HD's site for about $80. Guess that's not to bad. Really don't want two boxes if avoidable, guess we will see what we can find.

TY all!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 05:40 AM   #25
bap

How are you going to run your RV and your welder/air compressor from the same outlet? Your RV requires 110v and a welder/air compressor that requires 50 amp will require 220v.
Old 06-11-2017, 06:38 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bap View Post
How are you going to run your RV and your welder/air compressor from the same outlet? Your RV requires 110v and a welder/air compressor that requires 50 amp will require 220v.
I have a 50a/240v outlet inside the barn which will be the main outlet for the compressor or welder, and am looking at adding an additional 30a/120v or 50a/240v outlet on the outside of the barn for the tt. If I go with the 50a/240v outlet for the tt, it would be possible to run the welder and compressor at the same time if ever needed. I would just need to make an adapter cord to do so if needed.

For the 32 I only need a 30a setup, but trying to decide if I should go with a 50a setup for possible future rigs. Also have to make sure I have the room in the panel to do a 50a. If I go with the quad breaker I should be able to do a 50a outlet for the tt.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:13 AM   #27
Site Team

I have been accused of being cheap! I already had one box left over in my garage and a friend gave me the other one so it cost me nothing basically.

I dug the trench and placed the conduit to the house. My friend pulled the wire in and I hooked it up.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 08:29 AM   #28

Question, what size is the feeder breaker and wire to the barn?

If the feeder is large enough replacing the subpanel to a larger one in the future will suport your toys..

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 12:20 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Question, what size is the feeder breaker and wire to the barn?

If the feeder is large enough replacing the subpanel to a larger one in the future will suport your toys..
I was about to ask the same question. If he can't run the welder and compressor at the same time and he had capacity issues in number of breaker slots, then how big is the panel? Granted I doubt he will try and run the compressor, a future RV with dual AC going along with a microwave while welding.

My shop only has 60a 240 going to it. Welder 190a MIG so it is a 30a 240 but I don't think I have ever run both at the same time. I would still love to have 100a out in the shop but unless I upgrade the service coming into the house (currently 150a) that won't happen. Or just run a new service directly to the shop.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 06-11-2017, 09:14 PM   #30

Norty,

I looked up an a/c disconnect and they run under $20, so that is definitely a cheaper option! lol Already have the outlet box, so just need to figure out what I want to do.

Jag/Sen,

It is a 70a feed, 8/3 wiring if I remember correctly. But the chance of running everything at the same time, well I probably have a better chance of winning the lottery!!! Lol

I think if I bought a plasma cutter that I would then have a better chance of running two 240v items at the same time. At least I think a plasma cutter is 240v... Never looked at them very close so not for sure.

I can go with a quad breaker if needed to run a 50a outlet.