Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-20-2018, 02:42 PM   #41

So last summer we did an EPIC 2 month road-trip. My journal shows 8750 miles of towing and about 12,500 of total driving. How far you go in a day really depends on several factors. Like you we planned a loop with a couple stops that were floating that we figured we'd be able to fill in along the way or worst-case-scenario camp in a wall-mart parking lot.

Here's what we did. Plan the route.

8 Hours of drive time is easily 10+ hours of travel time and after 10 hours I know I was cooked. Ideally keep travel times to 5 hours or less. We had 2-3 legs with 8 hr travel times. They all ended up being closer to 11 - with the worst being 13 (that was a 6 hour day...but we wound through the badlands instead and it was ~70 degrees and beautiful out so we dilly dallied. That being said rolling into the campground, in the dark after being on the road 13 hours was a terrible experience. Trying to land a camper in the dark is fun enough coupled with being cooked - no fun.

My kids were 14 & 15 - get along well and had some games to play while driving. Younger kids (or adults) with weaker bladders will require more frequent stops. Towards the end of our driving 5 hours was fairly comforatble with a stop (usually closer to the end) for fuel and a quick on-the road meal. Speaking of which - on a trip like this Wallmart and Costco's with gasoline are your friend. One-stop shopping for sundries and fuel....and on at least one occasion an oil change. Yes we spent an hour at wallmart - but we got our groceries for the week, a prescription refilled, fueled up and had our oil change and tires rotated.

You are not driving far enough where I would have serious concern about tire wear and oil changes - but definitely something to keep in mind for the long haul.

Breakfast on departure days is light. We subsisted on Pop-Tarts (we got sick of them) and cheese sticks along with coffee/juice. A large box of other snacks was ever-present in the truck with nuts, chips, gummy snacks...whatever. Everyone (kids included) had a departure task "assigned" that helped them 1) keep out of the way and 2) actually helped us get under way quicker. We had early morning camp departures down to 30-45 minutes with some light prep the night before and could disappear somewhat quietly. There are a few products I would recommend to make the get-away easier:

Fast-away wheel chocks
Rhinoflex 45-degree clear hose adapter - makes it easy to see when the tank is clean.
Rhino-flex hose - If it gets cut you can make it shorter...also get a short-hose/extension if you are staying places with a dump station. One campsite we stayed at was built long ago and was setup for dump outs at the opposite end of the camper. Needless to say my 15' hose which is good for most of the places we stayed was 2' too short for this site. I ended up with a 3' extension that also worked perfectly for dump stations.
An adapter for your impact wrench or drill for jacking up the stabilizers (if you don't have fancy ones).

Bring entertainment - for could weather if you encounter it. We were blessed with having rain only on travel days and only while driving. As for camping...I have no idea on your style. For our 8 weeks it was 50/50 boondocking/hookups. Kind of alternating in-between - with one two-week stint boon docking. That being said securing water at the right time and/or having the proper vessels for it should be part of your plan unless you are always staying at hookup campgrounds.

If you have specific questions please ask away and I'll give you my $0.02. Other stuff to bring/packing list. I can tell you what I toted with me...just in case...and what I actually used if you want to know
X213_2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 03:59 PM   #42
Say

If it really is all about the journey, 475 miles per day average makes for a lot of driving each day in my opinion. 300-350 is preferable for us cause it gives us time to stop for the unexpected and we don’t feel pushed to get to our next sight.
Say is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:48 PM   #43

Apps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrusie View Post
Any suggestions on RV road trip apps?
Here is a screenshot of the rv apps we use. Each one very helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20180620-214636_Samsung Experience Home.jpg  
Vicki&Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:33 PM   #44

Quote:
My wife makes fun of me because I have a spreadsheet for the trip, all driving days, miles, MPG, drive time, etc...I just made another reviewing the capacity of equipment, weight wise, and my estimation...Here we go for your reading pleasure.

Truck, 7,313
Payload, 2,662
Max 5th, 14,400
Trailer Dry, 8,585
Payload, 1,545
Gross Combined Limit - 25,300

Truck w/ people and "stuff" - 8,613
Trailer w/ load - 9,702
Combined weight 18,315

I want to get on a scale and see how close I am! If I'm missing something here please let me know!
I do the same thing.
bgelyhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:37 PM   #45

Quote:
So in a few weeks we'll be headed out on our 3500 mile road trip. Wifey and the 3 kids (9, 11 & 15) pulling the 5th wheel.

We've got sites booked all along the way and are excited to make this journey because we all know its the journey and not the destination!

If you'd like, hit me with advice, things you wished you'd taken into consideration, suggested check list of pre trip/post trip inspections (other than kick the tires & check lights) etc...

We'll be able to travel w/out much water however my concern is limiting the family and the amount of stuff we haul. I like to be as light as possible!

Our trip will be 7 different stops from 1 night to 4 per state. We've only had the camper on one weekend trip away from home and are planning one more before we head west!
Remember that ST tires on RV's are only rated for 65 mph. If you want to minimize the potential of a blowout, make sure your tire pressure is as recommended on the trailer data plate and you limit your speed to no more that 65 mph.
bgelyhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 05:24 AM   #46

Driving time

I’ve always done a spreadsheet for my trips with miles and time for travel each day. I usually manage to stick to it. When I had 3 children camping with us we would do the 500 miles/day all the time. Leave early and get there by supper time so we could relax before bedtime. I’m ~68 now and just made two 2,200 mile round trips in the past month. We stopped at the half way point each time and arrived by supper each time. I don’t know if I could do this for many days in a row anymore at my age but I think 590 miles/day is a good plan if you have children than don’t mind the ride. It’s probably easier today because they can keep themselves busy with iPads, etc. 🙂
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Only 7 stops in 3500 miles?
Ortak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:54 AM   #47

Sorry to say that's not a vacation. Pounding out that many miles per day you are gonna miss American especially from the Interstate. Have fun but I'm not sure how you could...Sorry
Mosinee, WI.
JackMroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:37 AM   #48

Keeping our days to under 600 miles, speeds under 65, frequent fill ups to stretch a bit and manage the lack of services (I70 coming into Utah, they warn you). Prefer truck stops for manuverablity. 12 -14 hours is plenty for a day.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:37 AM   #49

I have to agree with you about doing that many miles/hours /day. I only do this much when I do vacations just to get to a certain location like when I want to spent a month in, for example, Nova Scotia. I want to get there fast then I take my time when I get there and also I take my time on the return trip. I usually do a lot of time on the Shandoah and Blue Ridge Parkways on my return trips from the North East.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:45 AM   #50

undecided...

so....we are in the beginning stages of planning our trip out west, and after reading the threads here, and still undecided. we will have only 2 weeks, and it is a little over 2k miles one way for us to get to the Grand Canyon. so averaging only 300 miles per day towing the tr, that isn't going to cut it....
should we fly out and rent an rv to save time and see more of the west?
Hnyctfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:03 AM   #51
Site Team

Personally, that would be to far for only 2 weeks.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 02:08 PM   #52

I would limit the time spent on electronic devices while traveling (adults included)! The purpose of travel is to see the sites and you can't do that looking at a screen.

Allow time for stopping at interesting sites along the road. You also will encounter traffic delays, because every state is doing road maintenance in the summer and travelers no longer learn how to merge, everybody wants to be first with the result that traffic comes to a complete halt or stop and go for miles.

I tend to limit travel to 400 miles per day. That is 7 hours of driving at 60 mph. Towing at 65+ is dangerous and probably faster than your gear is rated for.

Be a courteous RV driver and pull off on two lane roads when you get 5 or more cars behind you unless you have 5 or more cars in front of you and you can do it safely.
Old 06-24-2018, 02:19 PM   #53

And there’s something to be said for having your own bed. You can lengthen some days and shorten the others. It is about the journey and the planning.
Dancingqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:40 AM   #54

There's no right answer to how far/how fast/how long. Depends on why you're going, with who, etc etc.

When we leave Ontario after Xmas I'm in SW NM in 3 days or less. No reason to spend any more time than necessary stopping on the way as it's cold on the route and everything is closed. The destination is the SW and I don't want to see much of the MW on the way.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:51 AM   #55

Thanks for all the info folks!!

We're scheduled to leave Wednesday AM...Getting everything finalize and packed up. Kids and Wifey are all very excited to get going. I normally have only one rule on vacations, I don't wear pants! LOL Short only!

Wifey and I discussed another rule, I don't care where we go and when we get there as long as we're not setting camp in the dark...We've got sites reserved along the way but if we don't make it, well we don't make it.

I'm going to try and have the family keep a journal, I like that idea for sure!
Old 06-25-2018, 08:56 AM   #56
Site Team

Please give us some feedback on how the trip went, etc.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:54 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Please give us some feedback on how the trip went, etc.
Will do for sure!
Old 06-25-2018, 08:15 PM   #58

FYI, how far you go in a day and how much time you spend at a location is your decision.

I can have a WONDERFUL vacation if all I do is drive all day long. Yep, I have driven through or right by many national parks or other sightseeing spots without stopping. Have I 'missed' things. Maybe in someone else's opinion I have. My opinion is I did exactly what I wanted to do and didn't 'waste my time' looking at stuff that was not interesting to me.

Have fun on your trip!

PS I have been in enough small towns throughout the US and Europe that seeing another one is just not that big a deal.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:24 AM   #59

Next Trip

Next trip out is going to be 1, 782 miles round trip in 9 days with the leg home covering 738 miles of that total. Going a bit out of are way to stop at a discount liqueur store to restock the bar and camper. This is going to be longest run, 738 miles, I have done with the camper in tow, see how it goes.

Don't mind long day driving as it gives more time at the final location, but see if this is going to push that philosophy. I was once a long haul trucker so not something I haven't done but we shall see
TheB2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:41 AM   #60

One's age us also a factor in long haul driving.

If we were younger, we would travel more miles each day. We are currently on the road and have gone from 280 to 350 miles per day the last 9 days. Thank the Lord, this will be the last 250 today as we will reach our destination and be parked forv5 nights.

Worst part of this journey has been heat, humidity and bad roads. SWMBO has not been happy most of the trip and isn't afraid to let me know it.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote