Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-15-2018, 11:35 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredLEO View Post
Has anybody had any dealings with the Camping World at St Louis or Columbia?
Are they good about service? Pricing? Run around sales techniques? I hate the idea of a additional discount for financing through them. I pay cash for everything that way I don't owe for anything
If they can't give me the same or more discount for NOT financing then they don't need my business.
There's no way they can provide a valid reason for a financing discount vs a cash sale.
Anybody who has ever been in business would know better.
I just bought my 2018 Greyhawk from the Columbia location. Dealt with Jason Hampton and he was great. I live in NJ so have not used them for service. They picked me up from the airport, fed me while i was there and even installed my bunk tvs and maxxair for free!
The finance managers tried hard to get me to sign up for extended warranties and various other programs and that's where I think cw makes a bad name for themselves. They try to sell you so many things you really don't need. I did have to finance through them to get the great price and their rate was fair but I already refinanced thru my local credit union and rate was 1.50% better.

Overall Jason my sales guy was great. Followed up on a few issues etc..
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:12 PM   #22

For what it's worth, and I'm not sure how applicable this will be to a motorhome since I bought a travel trailer earlier this year, but I got a couple quotes from RV wholesalers, which were right at about 34% off what they said the MSRP was for a model I was targeting, and then used those numbers to deal with our local Camping World, and managed to get one off their lot for a couple thousand less than the "sale" deal they were offering at the time. I did end up paying a fair amount more than I would have had to pay for one from either wholesaler, but I wanted to have the relationship with the local dealer so I could get at least some level of priority for service since what I've read online repeatedly is tales of not being able to get local service due to not having bought the rig from the local dealer, plus it saved me from a 1500 - 2000 mile roundtrip drive to go get one from a wholesaler. Near as I can tell, and knocking furiously on wood right now, it's worked out thus far for me, particularly since I've had a number of warranty service needs. So, you might want to check out RVExpress, RV Direct (may be RV One?), and/or RV Wholesalers if you want to get one or more "second opinions" on the numbers you're seeing.
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:43 PM   #23

Quote:
Are they good about service? Pricing? Run around sales techniques? I hate the idea of a additional discount for financing through them. I pay cash for everything that way I don't owe for anything
If they can't give me the same or more discount for NOT financing then they don't need my business.
There's no way they can provide a valid reason for a financing discount vs a cash sale.
I agree, I thought it was illegal to offer a price that was different from cash. But if you google camping world scam and watch the videos, it seems that is their main m.o..
Half Ton Heavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:53 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Ton Heavy View Post
I agree, I thought it was illegal to offer a price that was different from cash. But if you google camping world scam and watch the videos, it seems that is their main m.o..
That's interesting, when I bought a new Ford truck last year, I ended up financing it to get an additional $1200 (maybe it was $1500?) off, and then paid the note off in a few months. Not sure it really saved me any money though since the interest was a couple G's a month . . . I never questioned whether it was actually legal or not for them to have done that.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:56 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
I've seen it before, it's not only camping world many of the RV online wholesalers do this, a ploy that is easily defeated by paying off the loan immediately. Auto manufacturers also do this by offering cash rebate for using their high interest loans.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 01:18 PM   #26

So CW called just a few minutes ago.
Salesman was adamant that I can pay off at my leisure.
Sticker 52000
Cost all in, including their stupid fees like pdi and prep, 28,500.
That’s about 45% off sticker. I know it’s not going to get much better than that.

I was really hoping to keep it under 30’, but 31 aint so bad is it?
Have to gut check with my wife soon!
Old 11-15-2018, 01:19 PM   #27

Quote:
. . . I hate the idea of a additional discount for financing through them. I pay cash for everything that way I don't owe for anything
Agree, to a point. We typically pay cash, too. Yes, it's a very irritating marketing gimmick. However, if there's no early, pre-payment penalty, why not play along, save the $1000-$2000, finance it, then immediately pay it off? All it'll cost you is a hard inquiry on your credit report and a week or so of interest---IMO a small price to pay to save $1000-$2000.

Sure, if you can find a competing dealer that quotes you the same, or better, OTD price with no marketing gimmicks, then by all means give them your business.

Bottom line, for some it's worth their time and effort to wade through the marketing BS for a better deal, others not so much.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 04:42 PM   #28

Past experience (retired) from Law Enforcement. Think of all the information you give them about you. Then think about how many people's hands this information about you passes through. Not everyone is honest (previous job security) the less that is known about you by others keeps you safer financially.
True.............I'll admit to being maybe over cautious but I took reports from too many people who had their I.D's "borrowed" and lost money in the process and went through a nightmare.
Just not worth the risk anymore.
I'm sure there's some smaller Dealer's who would be glad to match C.W.'s price (or close enough to it) for a nice clean no hassle cash sale.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 06:29 PM   #29

Quote:
Past experience (retired) from Law Enforcement. Think of all the information you give them about you. Then think about how many people's hands this information about you passes through. Not everyone is honest (previous job security) the less that is known about you by others keeps you safer financially.
True.............I'll admit to being maybe over cautious but I took reports from too many people who had their I.D's "borrowed" and lost money in the process and went through a nightmare.
Just not worth the risk anymore . . .
Like you, we used to be very concerned. After a very savvy IT friend (of a friend) showed us how easy it was to get personal information (SSN, birthdate, etc.) online a few years ago, we immediately froze all our 3 credit bureau reports. Clearly, with all these massive data breaches of late (especially the ones we don't know about) it's not a case of if it's going to happen to each of us, it's just when. FWIW, it's very easy to temporarily unfreeze (then refreeze) your credit for 24-48 hours in those cases where you need access.

Also, for those who have various credit "protection" plans they pay for (or receive free due to a data breach), highly recommend reading the small print. The vast majority of these plans offer very little protection proactively, before-the-fact---most of their primary services are after-the-fact . . . at that point the damage is already done---almost impossible to undo.

Agree, it's a crazy world out there. Be safe.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 03:20 PM   #30

Quote:
I've bought 2 Jayco trailers from RV One online and I couldn't find another Jayco dealer that would get remotely close to the price they gave me. Doc fees have become a fact of life when buying any vehicle. When you are getting prices, make sure you ask them to add the extra fees in writing. I sold cars for 10 years and have bought brand new, 6 trucks, 3 trailers and 3 motorcycles since 2010. I know a scam when I see one. I was pleasantly surprised both times with RV One, they honored the deal they gave me online and did exactly what they said they would. RV's have substantially more profit in them than cars and motorcycles. I also bought 1 of my trailers online from RV Wholesalers in Ohio 5 years ago and they were 100% legit. These are my experiences for whatever they are worth. Good Luck.
chesterBurnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 09:06 PM   #31

Quote:
The msrp is reasonably correct, it adds up just about right on the build/price portion of the Jayco website.

Thanks all. I’ll try to beat up only a little bit on the price, I’m sure they have been paying floor plan for a while on this unit.

I got the MSRP on a 2018 Greyhawk 29 MV from the Jayco site, then negotiated a 35% discount to the MSRP. They wouldn't budge further on that price, so I then squeezed them for slide toppers and valve extensions. I was happy with the deal.
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 06:50 AM   #32

Pay a little extra cash at a mom & pop shop it will save you a LOT of grief, get better service post-sale, help prevent a monopoly, make you feel good, and in the end you will get a better quality product. I can attest to what I am about to say as I have lived it...manufacturers putting together these things will slap them together worse, let issues go out the door, and relax QC if they know it is for a reseller that will accept any kind of quality as opposed to a reseller that themselves have higher standards.

Anyway good luck with your purchase no mater what you decide... and happy camping.
Imazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:45 AM   #33

We got about 39% on a little higher priced unit.
CHV_FRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:13 PM   #34

we bought a 2019 29MV (w/ dual ACs, 12cft fridge, and a beefier house battery) in Sept from The RV Express/Indiana RV Connection/Richardson's (depending on what part of the country you're in, as I understand it) for 40% off MSRP INCLUDING all fees and registration. did the deal all via email (that was the first price they offered and we didn't negotiate as it was such a good deal). was a better deal than anyone else would offer us by anywhere from $3000-15,000 when we shopped WA, OR, NV, CA, AZ, UT. we figured about $2k in travel cost to get it home, taking a bit of a vacation way out of our way, so still came out ahead. it was a little nerve-wracking flying half way across the country on one-way tickets when every dealer within a state of us said "they'll tack on hidden fees, there's no way they can sell it that cheap, it's a scam, you'll be stuck there with nothing until you pay a higher price". it was the easiest vehicle purchase i've ever made and the price was to the penny exactly what they'd quoted us. she even got us a better APR by 0.25% than the best we found on our own and paid for temp tags for us to get it out of state until our plates came through.
a1i50n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 12:09 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1i50n View Post
we bought a 2019 29MV (w/ dual ACs, 12cft fridge, and a beefier house battery) in Sept from The RV Express/Indiana RV Connection/Richardson's (depending on what part of the country you're in, as I understand it) for 40% off MSRP INCLUDING all fees and registration. did the deal all via email (that was the first price they offered and we didn't negotiate as it was such a good deal). was a better deal than anyone else would offer us by anywhere from $3000-15,000 when we shopped WA, OR, NV, CA, AZ, UT. we figured about $2k in travel cost to get it home, taking a bit of a vacation way out of our way, so still came out ahead. it was a little nerve-wracking flying half way across the country on one-way tickets when every dealer within a state of us said "they'll tack on hidden fees, there's no way they can sell it that cheap, it's a scam, you'll be stuck there with nothing until you pay a higher price". it was the easiest vehicle purchase i've ever made and the price was to the penny exactly what they'd quoted us. she even got us a better APR by 0.25% than the best we found on our own and paid for temp tags for us to get it out of state until our plates came through.
Sounds like a dream deal. But what do you do now for warranty work? Do you have a nearby Jayco dealer to take it to, and if so, how have they reacted to your buying it 2k mikes away?
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:47 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Sounds like a dream deal. But what do you do now for warranty work? Do you have a nearby Jayco dealer to take it to, and if so, how have they reacted to your buying it 2k mikes away?
We have 2 or 3 options within a 1-3 hour drive of us. Had an appointment at one about an hour and a half away about 3 weeks out, but Jayco authorized us to take it to a non-Jayco repair center so we could get it in sooner because it was for a CO alarm. The rest of the minor things (mostly trim) we'll take it in for later - whenever we get around to it (when we're not taking it out every chance we get). They didn't seem thrilled, but didn't seem unwilling, either. We got some subscription thing with our purchase that supposedly puts us in a priority position in line for any repairs, along with a year trial of some roadside assistance program as well. Haven't tried to schedule through that program, guess I'll see how that goes when we get around to making our next appointment.
a1i50n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:15 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1i50n View Post
We have 2 or 3 options within a 1-3 hour drive of us. Had an appointment at one about an hour and a half away about 3 weeks out, but Jayco authorized us to take it to a non-Jayco repair center so we could get it in sooner because it was for a CO alarm. The rest of the minor things (mostly trim) we'll take it in for later - whenever we get around to it (when we're not taking it out every chance we get). They didn't seem thrilled, but didn't seem unwilling, eitherWe got some subscription thing with our purchase that supposedly puts us in a priority position in line for any repairs, along with a year trial of some roadside assistance program as well. Haven't tried to schedule through that program, guess I'll see how that goes when we get around to making our next appointment.
Is that the Good Sam Club? I know CW hands those memberships out for free when you buy from them, i.e., I got one too. Will be interested to hear how it goes for you, and maybe you won't have to endure the number of warranty service trips I've had to make over the past 9 months (my dealer is only 15 min. away, fortunately).
Old 11-20-2018, 10:43 AM   #38

You may be right about the pricing to purchase a unit, but that is where it stops. They charge more than anywhere I've been for service and try to charge for things they don't do. I like to be able to trust who I deal with. I stop in and buy merchandise from them once in a while but that is where it ends.
Demco Base Plate
Demco Commander Tow Bar
billjmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 12:52 PM   #39

Welp.....
Putting the whole thing off for a bit. I *did* find a 2012 26'RLS in awesome shape I may scoop up, but the truck is a bigger issue now.
I traded my perfect 5.0 GT Premium mustang in on the truck last September, in an effort to "Keep the daydream". I wanted to start RVing and hit the road. The brand new truck had other ideas, and so far has spent a month in the dealers garage while they try to sort it out. So far no diagnoses. I've lost my patience and called Ford to tell them I want a buyback. Had it.

The problem is that the truck is a special order, and has a payload much higher than a regular 150. The only truck that can compare is a gasser 250 or 350, but I do not like the 6.2. Thirsty dude. That leaves the diesel 350, so I will have to kick in more $$ to make that happen.

Life is what happens when you make other plans, right? :-(
Old 11-20-2018, 02:37 PM   #40
Site Team

What issue are you having with your truck that they can't fix?
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote