Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-20-2020, 01:04 PM   #21

I don't know what a TH is but we carry both 50 to 30 and 30 to 50 dogbones. That way you can alway s get connected. Also, carry a 110 20 amp male plug to 30 amp female so you can run some stuff in an emergency when you only have a 110 volt outlet.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 01:51 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomson View Post
I don't know what a TH is but we carry both 50 to 30 and 30 to 50 dogbones. That way you can alway s get connected. Also, carry a 110 20 amp male plug to 30 amp female so you can run some stuff in an emergency when you only have a 110 volt outlet.
TH = Toy Hauler

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 08:27 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
If your generator is built-in, then you have a transfer switch that will determine which source of power gets fed to your 120V panel. The transfer switches are generally wired to "prefer" the generator AFAIK (that's how it is in my rig). So if I plug into the pedestal at the CG and my generator is running, the power will still come from my generator until the generator is turned off. Then power will come from the pedestal.

Whether you can run how many AC units on 30A depends on what else is running and the size of your units. It is HIGHLY unlikely you'd be able to run all 3 on 30A, but 2 is probably possible with proper power management (like running your fridge and water heater on gas, etc.) I have one 11K unit and one high efficiency 13.5K unit. Both running at the same time on high-cool will draw around 22A with just my converter running in addition. My water heater alone will draw 11A on electric, so I tend to switch it to gas if I need both AC units running.
Hi Camper Bob: Thank for the info. Weren't you on the Keystone site before? If it was you, you were a great help to us. I was on until I sold my Outback. Now I have on order a Seismic 4113.
Vfoote3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 09:16 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vfoote3 View Post
so you have a 30 to 50 and a 50 to 30 plugged together then you'd plug the 30 female into a 30amp campground stool?
Goto AMAZON page online and search for RV DOG BONES... They have bunches of long "dog bone" adapters to use for almost any type 120VAC CONNECTOR/PLUG the RV's use. Yes you can connect two different types together to match up to what you have...

I really don't know what a campground stool is haha... I guess you are referring to the campground Power pedestal where the 120VAC power is located... some thing like this

Typical `120VAC Camp Ground Power Pedestal

google image...

Another good use for the long "dog Bone" adapters is a lot of time you will run into a worn out 30AMP socket on the pedestal... Most RV campers use the 30A service... If the sockets shows burned marks and melting sockets do not use them. This will make your plugs burn up as well. For us 30A guys If you have the 50A to 30A dogbane adapter then you can use the 50A service on the pedestal and then plug in your 30A TT trailer into the long adapter. A burned pedestal socket may look like this...

Google image

What we do here in Northern Neck is go to closeby Westmoreland State Park and figure out what we need to have on board to cover things... Being close to home and WALMART/LOWES stores you can go get what you need. Best place to learn how things work. Northern VA has a nice camp ground close to Quantico base that would be a great place to go and experiment with things for you perhaps... We also setup in our back yard here in King George...

Hard to follow some things as everyone has their own name for it haha... I guess the word PEDESTAL and a campground STOOL could be the same thing haha... To me a stool is something you sit on. I'm always looking for something like this ln the woods when off road...

google image

This proves bears indeed poop in the woods haha...

I am also not very well versed on what the big RV trailers have or need. I am a Tent Camper from the 50s-60s and finally got my OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer in 2008...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 10:21 AM   #25

Hey Roy!! Where'd you get a pic of my hunting spot?!

That wasn't me on the Keystone forum before. I'm only active on 2 forums; this one and the WranglerForum (for Jeep enthusiasts). I also own a Jeep YJ, so I'm over there looking for ideas now and again. I don't contribute to that forum nearly as much as I do to this one. I'm more of a "taker" over there.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:28 PM   #26

Helpful to have one. We were at a site where the 50 amp showed a bad ground so we used the 30-50 amp adapter to hook up to the 30 amp circuit which tested fine.
Jack2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:31 PM   #27

30 and 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
That's correct.

No, there's nothing additional needed. What he meant, was that both the left and right side socket terminals on the female side of the dog bone are hot. Some of the cheapy ones, only put power to one of those terminals.

If you look at Roy's top image, the lower portion is the 50 amp female side. Look at the 'black' lines, those are the hot terminals, and you want power to both of those from the 30 amp male side of the dog bone. The green line is ground, and the white line is the neutral. I hope this makes sense to you. If not, just ask.
I stayed at a campground and the 30 amp was from one line in the ground and the 20 amp was from the other. theoretically speaking a person could take hot lead lead off the 20amp side and connect it to the 50 amp on one side and connect the hot side of the 30 amp to the other. A person could run almost everything they normally do. It shows there are two main breakers this would give one 20 amps the other would get 30, even if they were from the same side of the main box in the campground the breakers are separate so whether or not they are from the same leg I don't know if it would make a difference. I guess only a electrician would know for sure
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:56 PM   #28

Korree 30 to 50 Dogbone

I bought one from Amazon for my 50amp rig and the darn thing says not for outside use so I am returning. What’s a good dogbone or adapter that won’t overheat?
Rall1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:01 PM   #29

I carry 50 to 30 as Wisconsin state parks are often 30amp. Home have 50amp to 110 dogbone so can run frig to cool prior to trips.
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 05:17 PM   #30

I have a 30A rig (Class C) and one time i was at a campground that only had 50A service. You can plug into that but you need the adapter, the plugs are different. So I carry a 50 to 30 adapter, I also carry a 20 to 30 adapter but have never used it. If you are going to do that get the "dogbone" type, not the "hockey puck" type. Also if you happen across a campsite that only has 50, they probably have adapters in the office they will loan, rent or sell.
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:23 PM   #31

For the first time ever in (only) five years of motorhoming, we used the 50A to 30A dogbone a few days ago.

It was very late when we arrived in the CG and I was a bit worried when I saw the site had only 50A! I wasn't sure I remembered where I stashed it!

But I found it and we were snug as a bug in minutes.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:38 PM   #32

I carry around one each of these.
Attached Thumbnails
Adapters.jpg  
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:21 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
My grandmother use to carry a handbag the size of a laundry hamper so she'd have all the things "someone else might need". Unless you want to become your grandmother, I'd get rid of it. You might find someone willing to swap you a 30X50 for your 50X30 if you advertise it in our "For Sale" section.
I used to think like that. About 20 years ago, I was cleaning out my garage and ran across boxes of stuff that I had moved multiple times and never opened. That was all it took. Now if something is just taking up space rather than getting used, it either goes in the trash or Goodwill. That's especially true with the camper.

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 02:54 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray75 View Post
50m to 30f dogbone for a 50 amp rig shouldn’t be needed. Having a 30amp m to 50amp f would be good to have in case you can only find 30amp service.
There is one right answer, and Stingray75 nailed it.

If you've got a 50 amp rig, think of all the adapters as "to 50".
You'll need a "50 to 50", commonly referred to as a power cord or extension cord.
You may want a "30 to 50", and maybe even a "20(15) to 50", in case a 50 amp supply isn't available.

If you keep the "50 to 30", you'll need to covert it back to a 50 format to connect to your rig. The only reason I could see for doing that would be of you've got a 30 amp extension cord and there isn't a 30 amp outlet on the pedestal. In which case you'd plug in the "50 to 30" dogbone then the "30 to 30" extension cord, then you'll need a "30 to 50" dogbone to connect to the rig.
Old 03-31-2020, 11:08 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vfoote3 View Post
is this one good ? 4.8 out of 5 stars 338 Reviews

Kohree 30 Amp to 50 Amp RV Plug Adapter Heavy Duty Dogbone Electrical Power Adapter with Grip Handle, 30M/50F 125V/3750W, 18 Inches
Amazon's
Choice
for "50 amp adapter"
Kohree 30 Amp to 50 Amp RV Plug Adapter Heavy Duty Dogbone Electrical Power Adapter with Grip Handle, 30M/50F 125V/3750W, 18 Inches
Hi Vfoote3, Shoman here. Harbor Freight has them for about ,$10. I am new to Jayco family "Percept 36a" but I have been in the RV family for the last 6years but I have been in the Electrician family for the last 45yrs , the 30 to 50amp adapter from HF works just fine.
Shoman04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 11:47 PM   #36

Hi Roy. Shoman here,do you have a generic wire diagram of how Jayco does it inverter setup? We boondocks a lot and I have 1200watts of solar panels on top and six 100amp hr batteries for the house. I like to know how to hook the wife's coffee pot to the inverter side so that don't have to start the generator every time she wants a cup of coffee.LOL HELP!!!!
Old 03-31-2020, 11:49 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
You really need to carry a 50A to 30A Adapter that is wired as such...

Google image...

This has the two 50A legs tied together so that all of your circuits will get 120VAC... Then it will be up to you to turn off things that might trip the pedestal breaker...

google image

Roy Ken
Hi Roy. Shoman here,do you have a generic wire diagram of how Jayco does it inverter setup? We boondocks a lot and I have 1200watts of solar panels on top and six 100amp hr batteries for the house. I like to know how to hook the wife's coffee pot to the inverter side so that don't have to start the generator every time she wants a cup of coffee.LOL HELP!!!!

Tags
50amp. 50 amp, dogleg adapter