Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-21-2015, 08:53 AM   #1

5er vs tt backing up?

I'm 45' bumper to bumper with my current setup. I can get in some smaller areas now which I like. I was wonder if I had 5er and my overall length bumper to bumper is around 48' could I still get into the smaller areas? Would I need more space/room for backing up the 5er or would it be about the same.
05 f150 5.4 v8 (sold)
nwminnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:12 AM   #2

I find fifth wheels easier to back up and I believe they require less room. Don't forget you can turn up to 90 degrees with a fifth wheel. I have a 35' trailer and I can weasel it into some pretty tight places.
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 07:14 PM   #3

I consider myself relatively good at backing up with trailers. My neighbors have even asked me to back their rigs up into tight spaces. I have owned both TT's, and 5ers. Hands down 5ers are easier to back into tight spots, 5ers are also easier to line up to connect and can be hooked up at 90 degree angles (depending on clearance, sometimes even more).
There are advantages and disadvantages to both though. It really comes down to what you are willing to put up with. I currently have a TT, as I like to haul my snowmachine or ATV in the back of the TV. People have asked me why I haven't purchased toy hauler. One of my friends and partners in crime solved that for me with his toy hauler.... (a particularly bad road trip, spilled gasoline, made for a couple of smelly nights, followed by a particularly nasty muddy hunting trip convinced me not to purchase a toy hauler)
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote