Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #1

Question 5th wheel to a Motor home

Thinking of upgrading or downgrading, depending on your opinion to a Class C motor home. I am sure there are those who have made the switch. For those who have, what are your opinions? Good move? Sorry you did it?

Thanks,
krsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
Site Team

Don't forget to factor in a TOAD and all that goes with it when doing the computing.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:30 PM   #3

5th wheel to a Motor home

The toad is one thing that would keep me from something motor drriven.
Ecfeick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:24 AM   #4

We would not want to make such a switch not only because of the TOAD issue, but because our camper is used approx once a month, and a motorized unit that sits still a lot deteriorates in a relatively short period of time. Engines need to run frequently in order to maintain them, and unless you plan to pretty much full time with a lot of travel, I would not recommend the switch. JMHO
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:55 AM   #5

We made the switch from truck and trailer to Class C with small toad. It's the best move we ever made. Manuvering in the class C is so much easier. My wife does most of the driving now. She wouldn't drive the truck trailer combo. Also the trip is now part of the vacation.

Obviously it's a personal decision. For us we never used the truck except for towing. The small toad works for us because it's our daily driver to shuffle our kid around to various events.

We moved from a travel trailer not 5th wheel. You likely will have less inside space. The bunk was a big reason that we switched. Now my son has his own spot that is all his. I will have to disagree with the added maintenance. Ours is a Ford V10 and requires an oil change every 5000 or every year if driving less than 5000 per year. Our Ford F150 required more maintenance than the motorhome. We use the class C several times a year so it doesn't usually sit for more than a month or two. It starts right up everytime. The only extra maintenance routine it has added is having to regularily excersize the generator. There are so many personal decisions that go into it that I really don't think anyone here can know what is best for you and your family. Good luck!
rcase13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:07 AM   #6
Site Team

I agree, it is a personal decision as to what will fit your needs. It is just that many do not think it all out and that can cost some big $$$ in the long run.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #7

A couple have pointed out the Toad as a negative thing. I find that strange. The Toad is awesome. We went to DC and having a small car to navigate the various places was awesome for us. It was so much easier to ride around in a Honda Fit vs running around in a large truck. It takes about 3 minutes to unhook and hook up. Just remember to release the parking brake before you go... I can tell you from experience it doesn't like that! Luckily no damage done except maybe to my pride.

The only negative I can think of with the Toad is the cost to setup the car. It's not cheap! I did all the work so that saved a considerable sum of money. The other negative is the cost of extra fuel. I lost exactly 1 mpg towing the Honda. But I feel like I made that up with the 30+ mpg when we get to the destination. Our truck was lucky to get 12 mpg. As far as towing it you don't even know it's there. I have my son look out the back window just to make sure it's still there!
Old 07-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #8

A couple have pointed out the Toad as a negative thing. I find that strange. The Toad is awesome. We went to DC and having a small car to navigate the various places was awesome for us. It was so much easier to ride around in a Honda Fit vs running around in a large truck. It takes about 3 minutes to unhook and hook up. Just remember to release the parking brake before you go... I can tell you from experience it doesn't like that! Luckily no damage done except maybe to my pride.

The only negative I can think of with the Toad is the cost to setup the car. It's not cheap! I did all the work so that saved a considerable sum of money. The other negative is the cost of extra fuel. I lost exactly 1 mpg towing the Honda. But I feel like I made that up with the 30+ mpg when we get to the destination. Our truck was lucky to get 12 mpg. As far as towing it you don't even know it's there. I have my son look out the back window just to make sure it's still there!
Old 07-12-2013, 04:24 PM   #9

The best answer I once heard from a salesman; "what do you do the most of?" I was considering a 5th vs motor home. The point he steered us to: If you stay at a spot for a time, the 5th wheel is unmatched in space. If you travel a lot, the motor home is great for travel. We go to destinations and stay. We opted for a large 5th, and never regretted it.
jstme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:23 PM   #10

Class C has a lot less space than a 5th wheel, The insurance costs a whole lot more, not to mention personal property tax if you live in a state that assess it. Not to mention the upkeep on a whole 'nother drive train.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:36 PM   #11

We went from a class A to a 5th wheel. The factors where insurance, license, and upkeep. We go from Iowa to Florida for a few months in the winter and the 5er with 3 slides gives us much more room. We towed a Chevy Colorado behind the mh, now have the F250 to use instead, not a big deal.