Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-20-2016, 08:50 AM   #1

A/C dripping water inside

2014 Jayco Octane 26 Toyhauler
Live a Texas and it is very humid here

Of late, we have been having a problem with the A/C dripping condensation on the inside.

I have made sure that I have a clean filter on return air vent. I read somewhere that the drain pan may be plugged, so I climbed up on roof (scary By the way), and removed the cover. I can't find anything that looks like a drain pan or any drains.

Suggestion, guidance needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BeemerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:54 AM   #2

I assume you took the top cover off when you were up on the roof. If your unit is a 2014 and the air has been used a fair amount the fins on the air may need to be cleaned. You can do this with a hose without bending them if you are careful. You will have to remove your ceiling cover/filter housing inside and have someone standby with a bucket to catch any water that may come in.
FLHTK-JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHTK-JOE View Post
I assume you took the top cover off when you were up on the roof. If your unit is a 2014 and the air has been used a fair amount the fins on the air may need to be cleaned. You can do this with a hose without bending them if you are careful. You will have to remove your ceiling cover/filter housing inside and have someone standby with a bucket to catch any water that may come in.
So you are talking about some fins accessible from the inside and not the ones on the outside right ?

I see how to remove the cover for the inside air return but I can't see how to remove the rest of the inside cover.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:41 AM   #4

Sounds like the mounting screws need to be tightened up. There is a gasket between the ac and the roof. From the inside pull the plastic cover off. There will be four screws, one in each corner. Tighten them up. But not to tight. You just want a little compression on the gasket. If you fully compress the gasket, next time, you have to replace the gasket, and that requires removing the ac.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Sounds like the mounting screws need to be tightened up. There is a gasket between the ac and the roof. From the inside pull the plastic cover off. There will be four screws, one in each corner. Tighten them up. But not to tight. You just want a little compression on the gasket. If you fully compress the gasket, next time, you have to replace the gasket, and that requires removing the ac.
A new gasket is about 1 inch uncompressed, you want it compressed to about 1/2 inch when tightened to prevent leaks of air and water. They also need to be checked at least once a year to ensure they are tight.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarkl View Post
A new gasket is about 1 inch uncompressed, you want it compressed to about 1/2 inch when tightened to prevent leaks of air and water. They also need to be checked at least once a year to ensure they are tight.

So, should I be able to see this gasket from the outside? Would adding some sealant around the unit be a good idea?

Old 08-20-2016, 10:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerBob View Post
So, should I be able to see this gasket from the outside? Would adding some sealant around the unit be a good idea?

You may be able to see the gasket from the outside and or inside with some units and some installations.
The A/C manufacturer's installation instructions do not call for anything but the gasket. There is the possibility that the gasket is bad and may need to be replaced. I have replaced mine on a previous RV years ago and it's not too bad, and the gaskets are cheap.
Old 08-20-2016, 12:51 PM   #8

Ok, thanks for all the advice folks. If it ever stops raining, I'll craw back on the roof, clean the fins and tighten the unit down a tad

So there is not some drain pan that may be plugged?
Old 08-20-2016, 01:05 PM   #9

Many manufacturer's do include a drain pan. Some coaches also have a drain line that snakes down the coach wall and exits under the coach.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:00 PM   #10

I fixed one yesterday for my camping neighbor, it was dripping on the bed. Found one of the four bolts finger tight. Just don't over tighten them when doing this but they should all be about the same torque.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 02:52 PM   #11
Site Team

The screws that hold mine are inside and easy to see when the plastic inside cover is removed. The 4 screws on the outer corners should be slightly tight. If one is loose, there is your problem.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 03:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
I fixed one yesterday for my camping neighbor, it was dripping on the bed. Found one of the four bolts finger tight. Just don't over tighten them when doing this but they should all be about the same torque.
We just had this problem in Georgia. The drain is underneath the unit and if you compress the gasket a little too much you plug up the drain holes. Ours compressed enough on its own that it sat on the drain holes and stopped the water from draining. We had a soaked corner of the bed! They had to remove my unit and replace the gasket and now water pours out. You would be amazed at how much water that unit can remove from the air!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 05:35 PM   #13
Site Team

Any ac that is not draining water somewhere in a hot and humid climate is not operating correctly.

Some old units had a fan that would sling the condensate water into the condenser coils to help cool them. Now days, I think it just routes it away in a drain to drip outside.

Except in this case.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:21 PM   #14

Next time you get on roof, look on each side of the A/C unit and at the very bottom there is a drain, take a stiff piece of wire and stick it the hole, some stuff may be blocking the hole, once you clean out the hole you should not have any more problems. I have to do that to our A/C about every 2 months to keep the water draining on the roof not in the trailer. The drains are along the side of the A/C.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:49 PM   #15

I had posted a thread which shows the drain holes on the A/C unit.
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...ide-38289.html
you don't necessarily have to take the unit this far apart unless it's really clog and the piece you poked out re-clogs the holes. But it will give you the idea where the drain holes are to poke out.
05 f150 5.4 v8 (sold)
nwminnesota is offline   Reply With Quote