Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-19-2017, 03:01 PM   #1

A/C Leak above the gasket

Hello All,

I am stumped by an apparent leak in my A/C unit. The leak is above the gasket. I thought the source was a poorly seated bolt on the shroud. By I repaired that and have encountered the leak again today. This is my third consecutive day in heavy winds and heavy rain where the leak has appeared. I have been checking it during dry periods and there was no moisture so I believe an can rule out moisture from the condenser.

The gasket is completely dry and does not appear to be the source of the leak. The water is collecting in the metal base above the gasket on the intake side. I have included a photo. The paper towel in the photo is what I was using to sop up the water, I left it there for reference. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0540.jpg  

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 04:45 PM   #2

A little more info

I should have mentioned. The unit is a Coleman Mach 15. I just finished taking it all apart. The drip tray is clear from obstruction, I poured water through it and it emptied on both sides of the A/C. I could not locate any intrusion into the cover beyond the shroud bolts... They remain a possible source I suppose.

I had a good look at the gasket. It Is tight to the rear and a little looser to the front, so I balanced that. But again the moisture is collecting in the metal plate above the gasket so i have trouble seeing that as the source.

I remain at a loss and looked forward to your suggestions.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:09 PM   #3

I had a leak in my bedroom AC and I found a pile of water under the cover where the fan motor is. Was dripping down the bolts that hold the AC to the roof and was all around the metal Trim. Have you checked there? 4 screws hold the cover on two on top and two in front of the coils.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MadJoker TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:34 PM   #4

Bolts a possibility

Thanks MadJoker.... Those 4 bolts are definetly my prime suspects. I have reseated them twice now to see if that solves the problem. My plan is to cover them in Dicor to really seal them up, but I don't want to do that until I have ruled out all other possibilities since that would prevent any access below the shroud. Unfortunately there has been no rain since my last repairs... Who knew that there were reasons to wish for rain while on vacation. i may have to get up there with a hose and test things that way.

Old 08-25-2017, 05:23 PM   #5

Problem Solved - I think!!! Mach 15 owners take note!

So we had a third night of Monsoon rains in Myrtle Beach and while the flood water were rising outside... The A/C unit began to leak again. Knowing the location of the bolts I was able to rule them out as the source of the leak.

After an hour of problem solving at 0200 am, I think I finally figured it out. I read on another forum that some people had solved their leak issues by changing the angle of thier RV. I knew from where my A/C fluids were draining that my rig was sitting a little bit nose down. I raised the front end and the leak seemed to stop. It was at that point that I remembered seeing a seam at the rear of the cooling box. I am now confident, that was the source of my intrusion. During heavy rains, water was pooling against that seam and leaking forward into the A/C unit.

As noted my A/C is a Coleman Mach 15. I would encourage anyone with the same unit to have a look at this potential water source. During camping it is easily resolved using the leveling system but during storage my Greyhawk naturally sits nose down so the potential is there that during heavy rain, I could take on significant water.

I attached photos below including one of the puddle of Dicor I plastered on that seam to eliminate the problem. I did also Dicor the bolts... Just in case
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0543.jpg   IMG_0544.jpg   IMG_0545.jpg  

Old 08-25-2017, 05:50 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the update.
I've been following this discussion and was wondering what the resolution would be.
Good trouble shooting.

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:46 PM   #7

Thanks Doug, hopefully I got it right Time will tell!

Old 08-25-2017, 09:04 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
I still would replace that seal. What I did when I removed the A/C; lift up the roof material and installed 1 3/4 - 1/2" plywood all around the square opening. It can pool at least a 1/2" of water before it reaches the seal.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:40 PM   #9
Site Team

Interesting. My leak is from the inside coil and the leak does seem to come from the front of the plastic tray under the coil.

I am level but may raise it a little and see what happens. We have been on the road for 2 weeks and here for a week and it just started yesterday.

I'll post if it helps.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 05:10 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Interesting. My leak is from the inside coil and the leak does seem to come from the front of the plastic tray under the coil.

I am level but may raise it a little and see what happens. We have been on the road for 2 weeks and here for a week and it just started yesterday.

I'll post if it helps.
Revisiting this thread, I still have the problem on both units at oddly infrequent intervals. The bolts are not the problem, I have checked them numerous times. Sometimes the front one will run until the thermostat is satisfied and a few minutes after shut off, it will dump a small cup or so. The back unit is the same. I have verified that the coil sensor is firmly in place.

Last weekend, it was humid and the back one did it twice but ran normally in between those times. We know exactly where to sit the bucket to catch the drip as it's only a few minutes after it stops running. Griswald One : I will definitely caulk the area you mentioned when I get going on this.

Things like this are what test your saneness and your marriage! LOL

I'm going up there before the next trip and do some looking. I'm considering opening the blower compartment up top and cleaning the coils and also checking the drain holes. I already enlarged one and will do the other at that time.

One thing that keeps sticking in my mind was the MOD that was widely discussed a few years back that recommended insulating all the metal boxes on top in the roof cover that was supposed to help with cooling loss.
I did that mod on both my units and this problem started right after that, I think. I have to cut all that off to access the top so I may remove the insulation and see if that helps on one of them.

Reminds me of a quote from Billy Crystal, "I can do everything I could do at 35 years old if only I could remember what it was!"
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote