Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-22-2022, 06:40 PM   #21

I have a Yamaha EF2400QISHC it starts and runs the A/C ( no soft start ) without any problems. It will not run the A/C and microwave at the same time. It starts first pull and is pretty darn quiet. Downside it’s not the best on fuel consumption and it weighs 75lbs. Is it a little pricey— Yep! Would I buy it again—- Yep!
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 07:31 PM   #22

I watched numerous videos on the EU2200i pulling 2000-2100 continuous without overloading. Hondas might not "be what they used to be" according to some, but it still seems like they under-rate their output as far as the minimum?

I also watched/read a lot about mini-splits in RVs. Almost everyone said they actually downgraded the BTU rating from their rooftop unit, and it still cooled better. My friend has a larger trailer than ours and his 9K can make it so cold its actually uncomfortable, all while being whisper quiet and only drawing 500w... allowing the genset to be in eco mode and also super quiet.

Having said that, if I do go that route, perhaps the 9K is a bit undersized since we have a hybrid with tent-ends. 12Ks are not that much more, and from what I have found draw anywhere from 500-1000w depending

I dont know. I am down to 11 days to figure it out. The mini split is very appealing since long-term we want to build a custom battery box on the rear bumper and go solar since we alway camp off-grid. Having an AC that draws 500-1000w would make it almost possible to run it off the batteries on a sunny day, and off the genset barely above idle when its not, vs screaming away at full load.

Retired: 2009 GMC Sierra Crewcab & 2003 Kiwi 18F

DigitalFusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 08:08 PM   #23

Why not just go get yourself another Ryobi and use them in parallel. All the wattage you'll need plus extra.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 12:26 PM   #24

I have a Yamaha 3000i that I have used many times in 100+ temps. I can run the 15000 BTU a/c, 42" tv and converter with no problem even on a/c startup. The only thing I can't add is the microwave. That pops the 30 amp breaker on the gen.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 12:43 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoutalker View Post
I have a Yamaha 3000i that I have used many times in 100+ temps. I can run the 15000 BTU a/c, 42" tv and converter with no problem even on a/c startup. The only thing I can't add is the microwave. That pops the 30 amp breaker on the gen.
That's a good generator. But it's a world of difference between yours and the posters.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 12:50 PM   #26

I have a 13500 AC and a Micro-Air Easy Start. I live in AZ.

I run my trailer on the Honda 2200 without any issues...(other than sweating at 80 degrees inside when it's 100 outside!!!)
I've never gone into overload on the Honda, yet.
I'm all LED lighting now and that helps add well.
I do not run the AC and microwave together. But can run the TV or radio while AC is running.

I think your problem is simply that you're genset isn't capable of handling the load.

One thing you can do is use a clamping amp meter and measure your current draw with various devices on and everything shut off. That will give you a baseline of your energy usage. Plus. There may be more drawing current than you realize!

Oh...forgot to add....
I also picked up a propane conversion kit for the Honda. It can run on gas or propane. Propane is very good in many ways...but doesn't produce the same amount of BTUs that gas does. The Honda still runs my AC just fine on propane!
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 02:20 PM   #27

Hey not sure if you figured out exactly what you were going to do but will will help by adding hopefully some clarity to confusion.

I will start with a simple statement that get a new generator that is at least 2200 or more.

Now, not all generators are created equally. You can take two of the same size of different brands and they will perform differently. The Ryobi is under powered and it’s inverter cannot handle the sustained load. As some mentioned HarborFreight their 3000w is good but it is much bigger than the Ryobi or Honda 2200. Firman also makes a good one that is sold at Costco and it will work good as well.

I live in AZ and have the Honda 2200. I have a Micro-air soft start with Bluetooth so I can monitor startups etc. I can run the AC (Furrion Chill 14500) off the generator or off my 2000w Xantrex (off battery) without any problem in 100deg+ weather. As others have mentioned cannot run AC and micro or AC and hair dryer. But anything else will work when AC is on off generator or inverter. I also have the propane converter for the Honda and have always run it off that (it has never tasted real gas). Just make sure to use a good synthetic oil in the generator as well it’s good for hot or cold weather.

Here is a link with some screen shots showing data. https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...lbums2180.html

It will all come down to the space you have to carry the generator the weight you can or want to lift and what all you want to run at the same time. Hope this helps.
Old 06-25-2022, 02:25 PM   #28

Welp, I heard back on my support ticket to Dometic from last week. They said there is something wrong with my AC as it should not be pulling that kind of a draw at those temps. It should only pull about 13.2 amps (roughly 1580w) at 95*.

I cleaned the AC at the beginning of last year, and I was planning to do it again when I put the soft start in before our trip last week (first one of the year) but I didnt have any cleaner left, and I barely had the time to get the soft start installed. I'll try cleaning it and lubing the motor shaft again to see if that helps at all.

Old 06-25-2022, 02:47 PM   #29

We have a Coleman 15K A/C and live in South Georgia. I added the Micro-Air soft start and my Honda 2200i will start it even in ECO mode, every time. I usually don't try that but will switch to ECO mode after the start. Works even in our 100 degree/95% humidity weather. Just a side note, Honda doesn't make a conversion kit, or recommend, propane. I think that would void the warranty. Propane doesn't have the energy content of gasoline either, therefore the generator output would be less. Also, the Honda is the quietest one out there. Get the Honda and don't look back - You're getting what you're paying for.
Bugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 02:54 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFusion View Post
Welp, I heard back on my support ticket to Dometic from last week. They said there is something wrong with my AC as it should not be pulling that kind of a draw at those temps. It should only pull about 13.2 amps (roughly 1580w) at 95*.
Quick question, are those starting amps or running amps?

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 03:01 PM   #31

Quote:

I cleaned the AC at the beginning of last year, and I was planning to do it again when I put the soft start in before our trip last week (first one of the year) but I didnt have any cleaner left, and I barely had the time to get the soft start installed. I'll try cleaning it and lubing the motor shaft again to see if that helps at all.
When you measured the current was that on shore power or the generator? If you were not on shore power, I would re-test the current draw while on shore power. ~CA
Old 06-25-2022, 04:01 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC_AZ View Post
Hey not sure if you figured out exactly what you were going to do but will will help by adding hopefully some clarity to confusion.

I will start with a simple statement that get a new generator that is at least 2200 or more.

Now, not all generators are created equally. You can take two of the same size of different brands and they will perform differently. The Ryobi is under powered and it’s inverter cannot handle the sustained load. As some mentioned HarborFreight their 3000w is good but it is much bigger than the Ryobi or Honda 2200. Firman also makes a good one that is sold at Costco and it will work good as well.

I live in AZ and have the Honda 2200. I have a Micro-air soft start with Bluetooth so I can monitor startups etc. I can run the AC (Furrion Chill 14500) off the generator or off my 2000w Xantrex (off battery) without any problem in 100deg+ weather. As others have mentioned cannot run AC and micro or AC and hair dryer. But anything else will work when AC is on off generator or inverter. I also have the propane converter for the Honda and have always run it off that (it has never tasted real gas). Just make sure to use a good synthetic oil in the generator as well it’s good for hot or cold weather.

Here is a link with some screen shots showing data.*https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...lbums2180.html

It will all come down to the space you have to carry the generator the weight you can or want to lift and what all you want to run at the same time. Hope this helps.*
Did I understand those pix correctly?* You're drawing 1950w at 100+* with a 14.5K BTU with everything else running except the microwave? Thats what I was drawing with a 13.5K at 98* with every breaker turned off except the main and the AC. With everything off, the load was 8w until I turned the AC on, when it started at about 1400w and crept up to 1950+w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman View Post
We have a Coleman 15K A/C and live in South Georgia. ... Get the Honda and don't look back - You're getting what you're paying for.
I know the Hondas are tried and true, and the Predators are affordable and battle tested, but I really want to try and keep the Ryobi.The Ryobi app features are so damned convenient!

Genset overloads? No need to go out and shut off the generator and restart, just hold the overload reset button right on your phone.

Want to retire early, but have the AC run until quiet hours? Just set the run timer and it will shut down on its own while you are sleeping.

Wake up in the morning and the house battery is low? Just hit the start button on the app and she'll fire right up and start charging.

Out on the lake fishing, kayaking, or out on a hike with the DW and the kids want to use the TV? They can just push the easy button next to the recoil and it fires right up for them.

Want to know the fuel level or how much run time you have left on your tank? The app displays fuel level and run-time remaining at the current load.

The only things I dont like about the Ryobi is that for some dumb reason it doesnt recharge the 18V starter battery, only outputs its actual rating, and its a bit bulky compared to the Honda, but much less so compared to the Harbor Freight genset.

With the Honda, you just get a finicky app that has connectivity issues and all you can do is turn eco mode on/off or shut down the genset. The predator is just too big. I literally have my truck box packing down to a science where it looks like an engineer did the calcs on how to fit everything in, and the predator just wouldn't fit unless I put some things in the walking area of the TT, which I want to avoid.

Having said that, the Honda still isn't off the list, I just really want to find a way to make the Ryobi work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper906 View Post
Quick question, are those starting amps or running amps?
I'd bet my right and left arm that it is running amps. I do have a ticket open with the soft start company, asking if it spans the draw out over time or something instead of storing the energy like a capacitor, and if that is contributing to the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
When you measured the current was that on shore power or the generator? *If you were not on shore power, I would re-test the current draw while on shore power. *~CA
That was on the genset. I cant repeat the conditions on shore power as there isn't anything even remotely close to those temps forecasted in even the long-range outlooks. If it's in the mid to upper 80's, which is the forecasted range for the next week and a half or so, it runs off of shore power or genset without issue, starting out at around 1400w and stabilizing around 1650w.

Honestly, I am quite torn. A decent 12K mini split is only going to be about 700 running watts, and not only would it make the genset run at lower RPMs and thus less fuel and less noise, the mini-split units are also infinitely quieter inside the TT when running compared to the hurricane level noise from the rooftop unit. Plus, I would love to do some solar in the near future as we only dry camp at state and national forest, and having a < 1000w draw with the AC running would be pretty epic.

Old 06-25-2022, 04:20 PM   #33

Alternative possibly?

I bought a 2500 Watt Champion Dual Fuel (Champion Power Equipment #200962) that starts and runs my 15k AC with no soft start on LP. It can't do it in eco mode, but I never tried eco mode on with gasoline. Not much throttle left but it's not running at full load. Got rid of my 100# 3400 watt Champion gas only inverter, too much to muscle around and didn't want to haul gasoline also. The 2500 is advertised at 39# but I doubt that's including the regulator assembly and hose. Also, I think the 53 dBA spec is at idle, certainly not under full load!

"With an ultra-quiet 53 dBA from 23 feet, enjoy 2500 starting watts, 1850 running watts and up to 11.5 hours run time on gasoline, and 1665 running watts and up to 34 hours on propane."
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 05:16 PM   #34

Yeah I had to look at the data and without AC running the fridge, water heater, TV and lights are pulling 342w. I know the fridge fluctuates between 300-330w on its own. The AC is really not as bad as say the hair dryer. It’s crazy but we can’t run anything else when the hair dryer is being used. But with the AC we can also add a mini toaster oven without any issue.
Old 06-25-2022, 06:00 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC_AZ View Post
It’s crazy but we can’t run anything else when the hair dryer is being used.
My wife’s hair drier pulls 19.5 amps on high, about 11 on low. It’s only a problem when we get a spot with only 30amps available, or when using the generator.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 08:26 PM   #36

Quote:
Hey all,

I recently installed a soft start from softstartrv into my 13.5K Domentic Brisk on our 2016 x19h to pair with a new Ryobi 1800/2300 genset with electric start. I tested the soft start with the genset at home when it was maybe 80-85* and it worked great! It started the AC off the genset, and even with the AC on max, the draw never went above about 1550w.

Yesterday the air temp was 98*. I fired up the genset, and turned the AC on low. It fired right up without issue was was blowing nice cold air. That didnt last. After about 2 mins the genset went into overload mode. Long story short, every time I would get the AC started, it would start around 1400w draw, slowly creep up into the 1900's, and after about 60-120 seconds or so, it would overload. Nothing else was running as I made sure the refer was on propane and I even shut off every breaker except the main and the AC.

From what I understand, the compressor will draw more watts with higher temps. The only reason I purchased the genset and soft start was to use on those days where its just too damned hot out! Is anyone else able to run a 13.5K off a small generator when its hot? Is there anything a person can do to optimize the efficiency?

I'm still within the 30 day return window for the Ryobi, and am very seriously considering returning it for a Honda EU2200i to see if the Honda would solve the issue because everyone tells me the Hondas are typically underrated for output. I LOVE the electric start option from the Ryobi Bluetooth app, and the shut down timer is amazing as well. Both things I would loose with the Honda.
We have a ETrailer 2000 watt surge 1600watt running inverter unit and the soft Start installed in our 13.5 AC. Last year out west there was a power failure at the park with the temp at 102. The generator ran for well over 4 hours with the AC on, no problem. We do have two different carb jets for use at higher elevations.
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 09:40 PM   #37

I just want to give a thumbs up to mini-splits. I heat and cool my 4900 sq ft house with one in each room. They save energy and are very quiet.
daveinthekeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 05:23 AM   #38

Sounds like the generator is to small. A lot of the companies over exaggerate their generator capabilities. A good point was made about altitude and engine performance. One way to confirm the generator is the problem is to verify the volts output when this problem is happening. You have to leave the meter leads in the gen. and monitor during the a/c starting up. If the volts go low 100 or 105 your amps will be higher. I'm also looking to install a soft start on my a/c mostly to get rid of the hard start and help prolong its life. I think a bigger gen. will solve your problem, good luck.
Dace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 09:49 AM   #39

Quote:

Genset overloads? No need to go out and shut off the generator and restart, just hold the overload reset button right on your phone.

Want to retire early, but have the AC run until quiet hours? Just set the run timer and it will shut down on its own while you are sleeping.

Wake up in the morning and the house battery is low? Just hit the start button on the app and she'll fire right up and start charging.

Out on the lake fishing, kayaking, or out on a hike with the DW and the kids want to use the TV? They can just push the easy button next to the recoil and it fires right up for them.
Everything that I've ever read about generators states to never start or stop the generator with a load connected, bad for the genny and sometimes the load.

I was wondering if there was something in the app that disconnected the load prior to starting the generator, so I went out to HD and pulled up the user's manual for the Ryobi. The manual clearly states to remove any load before starting and stopping.

To me, the convenience of the app just isn't worth the risk of damage to equipment. If it were me, I would return the unit and purchase something more appropriate to the task.
2019 Jayco Jayflight 28RLS (New York)
The latest government survey finds that 3 out of 4 people account for 75% of the total population.
JB13502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 11:21 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB13502 View Post
Everything that I've ever read about generators states to never start or stop the generator with a load connected, bad for the genny and sometimes the load.
I agree, using a remote start isn't worth the risk. I always start mine and let it warm up before connecting the load.

I also always use my Progressive EMS connected to the generator which is added protection against accidental stoppages...such as over heating or running out of gas It does have a time delay when first plugged in, so I suppose that would suffice if using a remote start to start with no load. Mine doesn't have it, so I can't speak from experience.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote