Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-11-2022, 03:08 PM   #1

A/C unit improperly installed?

My 2010 export 17C hybrid started leaking through the AC unit so investigated and found that only 1 of the 4 mounting bolts was even close to snug and the 2 in the back were backed out about 2".

I put loctite on them and snugged them up. waiting to see if it continues to leak.

Has anyone else seen this
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2187.jpg  
Archeryguy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 03:16 PM   #2

The owner's manual tells you to check them yearly. They loosen due to being bounced down the road. Many discussions about checking them.
Old 03-11-2022, 03:23 PM   #3

Yearly maintaince check...
If after 12 years, and if they haven't been checked till now, and no damage to surrounding area...
Consider yourself lucky and move on.
Grumpaw374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 04:04 PM   #4

Welcome Aboard!

Those bolts are known to loosen up. Main reason the gasket material compress over time. I would purchase a new gasket and replace it. 12 years old, it could be fully compressed.

As the Owner's Manual states you only want the bolts snug, and not fully drawn it tight. Once drawn tight, the water will sneak past the gasket.

They are fairly easy to change out, but a helper makes it even easier. Remove the 4 bolts, disconnect the wires. With a sheet of cardboard on the roof, lift the AC and place on carboard (don't want to put a tear/nick in the membrane). Remove the gasket, clean the area, install new seal, and reverse the installation. Takes longer to get prepped than to do the job.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-25071-U...s%2C229&sr=8-5

Happy Camping

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 05:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Welcome Aboard!

Those bolts are known to loosen up. Main reason the gasket material compress over time. I would purchase a new gasket and replace it. 12 years old, it could be fully compressed.

As the Owner's Manual states you only want the bolts snug, and not fully drawn it tight. Once drawn tight, the water will sneak past the gasket.

They are fairly easy to change out, but a helper makes it even easier. Remove the 4 bolts, disconnect the wires. With a sheet of cardboard on the roof, lift the AC and place on carboard (don't want to put a tear/nick in the membrane). Remove the gasket, clean the area, install new seal, and reverse the installation. Takes longer to get prepped than to do the job.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-25071-U...s%2C229&sr=8-5

Happy Camping
Thank you. I did order one before even looking at it after reading a few threads here. I felt the gasket before tightening to see how compressed it was and when I tightened it up I could watch the gasket compress. If it leaks I will install the new gasket.
Archeryguy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 07:46 PM   #6

There is a toque spec for the bolts. Mine have never changed. Every 5 season I put on a new gasket. Never hurts to check. Do not use good and tight .
campersam9 is offline   Reply With Quote