Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-19-2010, 05:38 PM   #1

A couple of newbie questions

Hi,

I will be picking up my new Jay Feather Sport 165 next Friday, and had a couple of questions:

1. Other than the sewer pipe, does the grey water tank have a drain in case I want to drain some of that water without having to go through the main sewer pipe?
2. If my trailer still has antifreeze in it when I pick it up, how do I remove it? Do I need a hose. I live in an apartment and don't have access to a hose. Also, do they usually put antifreeze in the fresh water tank? If so, I suppose that means I have to run the water pump to get the antifreeze out.

Thanks for your feedback.
Ray
Ray364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:21 PM   #2

there are no other drains and where would you drain it to if it did
you need to connect to fresh water with a hose and run till antifreeze is gone.
partially fill and drain fresh water tank once or twice before running pump to remove most of the antifreeze.
Haul n it all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 03:10 PM   #3

Haul,

I was thinking if I camp early this spring, the dump stations won't be open at the campground, and I wouldn't want to fill up my grey tank and be unable to drain it, so I thought it would be handy to let the water drain right from the drain pipe (if there was one) into a bucket or something. However, I guess I could do the same by letting it run through the sewer line into a bucket. I just don't want the rangers to think I'm letting my "black" water drain onto the ground! haha.

Another thing that puzzles me about the anti-freeze thing is this: As far as I know, most of the piping (and the holding tanks) in my trailer is plastic, so can a little water really do any damage? What is the fear of allowing a little water to freeze up in a plastic container? Just curious.

Thanks.
Ray364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 07:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray364 View Post
Haul,
As far as I know, most of the piping (and the holding tanks) in my trailer is plastic, so can a little water really do any damage? What is the fear of allowing a little water to freeze up in a plastic container? Just curious.
Thanks.
As you know water expands when it freezes. A little water in the holding tank won't do any harm because there is plenty of room for it to expand. The piping and connectors are smaller and there's not much room for expansion so it could split the piping and/or crack a connector.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote