Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-28-2012, 07:34 PM   #1

A first for me...

We went to Lake Wateree State Park in South Carolina this past weekend with some friends of ours who have a Jayco Pup. Overall, we had a wonderful weekend. The last night we were there, my wife and kids were in bed, my buddy's wife and daughter were in bed and we were enjoying the campfire for awhile when we heard the very distinctive sound of plastic wheels on pavement. My initial reaction was, wow...kind of late for a portable waste tank dump. Guess they had an emergency.

Well, the next morning, he came out and told me that his beer cooler was stolen! They took it from right under the bunk where his wife was sleeping. His site was across the street from mine where the fire was and my trailer was blocking any view to the street so we didn't see them. We just assumed it was a waste tank. I guess next time, we will get up and see. We walked the whole campground looking into people's sites for the cooler, no dice.

I have been camping/RVing for 20+ years and have never had anything stolen. I guess we all have to be a little more careful in this day and age. I know it was just a cooler, but it's the principle behind it. I hate thieves and think they are scum of the earth. If they wanted a beer that badly, and they were of age, they could have just asked.

Sorry this was so long, rant over...
2016 Palomino Columbus 385BH "No Worries II"
2011 F-250 Super Duty Lariat, 6.7L PSD "The Mistress"
B&W Companion slider
mach8274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:40 PM   #2

My initial thought was teens.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:19 PM   #3

Yea, that bugs me too. You feel like campgrounds are the last place on earth where you can leave the "real" world behind. Seems that's changing too. Wouldn't you love to have caught them in the act?

:cool: 2013 F150 STX Super Cab With Factory Tow Package, Inegrated Trailer Brake Control, 5.0 Liter with 3.55 Gears and Posi Traction :cool:
villain2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:03 PM   #4

In Az in the winter if you want to keep anything you best lock it up.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:13 PM   #5

A few years back, our 'next door neighbor' in the public campground came knocking at our door about 2pm asking if we saw someone take their little motorcycle. We had been in and out of our tt bbq'ing and back and forth between the playground and pool. We never saw anything. None of the neighbors saw anything. Although we saw the m/c parked outside their tt, we didn't see it disappear... and this was daytime. Poor guy.

What's fun is there are some people that get to enjoy some Karma (another thread somewhere at JOF). I remember the one story where someone stole a "gas can" from a campsite near a off-road trail.... but instead of regular fuel it had diesel fuel so the thought was that the poor sap who stole the gas can probably screwed up his atv with the stolen "gas".... LOL
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:52 PM   #6

One of our regular campsites has a similar problem with the beer coolers disappearing. They have signs telling people to be aware of this. The park (TT) leases the land and know who the thieves are but don't have the authority to do anything about it. Another membership campground we belonged to had bikes and tools stolen on a regular basis. Campers are a target for some thieves unfortunately.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:01 PM   #7

Stolen property

Murpie,

Can't do anything about it? They can give the thieves a trespass warning to stay off of the property and then prosecute if they return.. Just a thought. Even if they just lease / manage the property, they can do that. Well in our town they can.
Indiana42631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:04 PM   #8

We have just been discussing what to do with our new webber barbecue and stand.. We are thinking we may run a lose chain around it some how .. Just because it would take longer to steal that way.. Perhaps a motion alarm that goes off and squeals if they move it.. May be an even better choice.. I think that would stop most campground thieves dead in their tracks..

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:15 AM   #9

It's sad to even have to worry about things like that while camping. That's the things we hope to get away from and have some fun. Never had anything stolen while camping but I guess it's coming one day. At least they could have taken the beer and left the cooler!
Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #10
Site Team

Bummer. Nothing is sacred now, not even the beer cooler!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:26 PM   #11

Since it is a cooler of beer we are talking about. Crabman could you tell us your whereabouts Sunday evening?
Locky66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:31 PM   #12
Site Team

At Crabhouse.

Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #13

Lee, that's a cool picture. Would you be kind enough to explain what we're looking at in the picture and how your operation works. I'm used to seeing crab pots, the big round baskets that are used on the west coast. Clams are used as bait in some areas and the only time I was involved we used the heads from the salmon we caught as bait up in the Douglas channel.
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Old 05-30-2012, 12:32 AM   #14

Indiana, the campsite is on a reserve and thieves are probably young teens who live in the area. I love the campground and know not to leave coolers with beer out. Other campgrounds experience these things too.
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Old 05-30-2012, 04:02 AM   #15

I have camped for well over 20 years, and have only been hit once. It was at an NHRA race in Bristol, Tn about 7yrs ago. They stole a Dale Jr Budweiser bag chair, basically nothing of value. I guess they felt that they needed it more than me. I work for Budweiser and stuff like that is easily available to me free of charge. If they would have just asked me for it, I would have given it to them.

My wife and I work hard for the things we have. I hope the day never comes that I actually catch someone stealing ANYTHING from us. It's not going to end well.....
'13 Suntracker PB 22
Da Bud Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:20 AM   #16

I agree that it was most likely kids. Still sucks that someone would do that. He would have gladly gave them the beer...if they were of age...he just wants his cooler back.
2016 Palomino Columbus 385BH "No Worries II"
2011 F-250 Super Duty Lariat, 6.7L PSD "The Mistress"
B&W Companion slider
mach8274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:23 AM   #17

New to the forum. Are you kidding? Two years ago, I was about to put the state sticker on my tag, on my popup in the garage. To my surprize, the tag was gone. The last time I saw it was at a city owned family campground. Someone actually took the plate by breaking it off at the bracket. Had to report it stolen, get a new rear light fixture, rewire the unit. Now I make sure I check it is there every morning when waking up. Talk about theft.
fmm151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:41 PM   #18

Took a cooler of beer?!?!? Go ahead....make my day.

(Just kidding, of course! )
SteelRyder is offline   Reply With Quote