Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-19-2021, 08:37 AM   #1

A-Frame Campers

Has anyone out there had any experience with an A-Frame Camper? Good or Bad let me know.

Jayco use to manufacture one but not anymore. So, if you have had any experience with SOB of A-Frame camper...Please pass on any information Good or Bad about your experiences. Thank you in advance for any and all of your responses.
Retire- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 09:03 AM   #2

We just moved from a 2010 Chalet XL1935 to our 145rb. Had shoulder surgery and raising portions of the dormer roof are not advised with bad shoulders. Prior to that, we had owned a 2004 Chalet Alpine, both new off of the lot.

We really enjoyed both and would still be there if not for the shoulders. Easy to tow, no WD or sway needed with the correct tow vehicle. Plenty of room for us (same box size in the XL as the 145rb). The Alpine was the base size and the only reason we went to the XL was that the wife fell in love.

Nice was getting in to tight sites. Driving along, if the truck fit through, so did the Chalet. The XL had a queen bed, wet bath, kitchen area and a couch. Lots of windows. Stayed warm and dry.
Lasttruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 04:39 PM   #3

Lasttruck...that's good news. Did you ever have any trouble with the A-Frame hard side campers leaking during a rain while set up while camping or closed up when not camping?
Retire- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 05:06 PM   #4

When we first had the XL, we were on the coast when a good storm blew in with heavy, wind driven rain (damaged our ez up awning leg). Had a slow drip around the big window that I took care of in the next lull with a touch of silicone around the window flange.

That was our only leak with the two Chalets.

Well designed to prevent water leaks and still allow folding. Adds to the cost.
Lasttruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 08:33 AM   #5

We also had a Chalet (LTW, smaller than Alpine), enjoyed it for 12 years. As stated, very maneuverable, we stored it easily (collapsed) in our garage. I always said it was a great camper for 2 people, if you really get along well. If one person needed to do something standing up, the other needed to relax or go outside. It was not very air tight, but we never had a leak, including in some driving rains.

A-Frames do tend to be quite expensive for what you get in terms of amenities, being a niche market and needing a fair amount of structural engineering to work well.

We moved to our current trailer because, as we got older, we got tired of crawling over each other to get in and out of bed, we wanted a permanent bed, and we wanted a real bathroom. But we sure do miss how easy it was to tow, maneuver, and set up.
Old 07-20-2021, 11:56 AM   #6

They seem to me like a terrible idea. Such limited room inside. We used to have a Coleman Niagara pop-up that had two king beds on the wings and a slide out. It had plenty of usable room on the inside after it was set up. I towed that thing all over the country with a minivan. Never had any transmission or heating issues either. Pop ups are so much easier to tow than fixed square box campers. Before you buy any camper, sit inside and imagine it’s a cold rainy day and you’re stuck in there for a couple of days on a trip with the number of people you will normally be camping with. Is there enough room in there?
DonC757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 08:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonC757 View Post
They seem to me like a terrible idea.
Not a terrible idea, just different needs for different campers. A-frames are easier to set up and are fully hard sided, important for camping in bear country (for example) and better temperature and sound insulation. But they clearly have less room. It's all about trade-offs and choices. My brother had a pop-up, and observing him I had no interest, but loved my Chalet for many years.