Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-18-2017, 05:30 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNJanice View Post
Not finding qualified people is an issue for most every industry. However, it has nothing to do with the quality of the people. It has to do with the fact that employers have no interest in training and promoting their people. "Back in the day" all employers knew that they would have to train new people and wanted to keep them. Now, most feel employers feel "entitled" to get someone fully trained for minimum wage, and then lay them off the first chance they get.

I'm not sure what industry you are referring to but in my industry (manufacturing) both in the IT and Customer Service fields we can not get anyone that wants to work. The young people coming in today want more $$ and want promotions monthly but they also don't want to work for it. They sit and chit chat all day. For Customer Service we start the reps out between $18-$22 an hour.

As far as the quality of the RV's until people stop buying them and demand better service nothing will change but all we do is complain about the service on the internet and the next day go to the dealership to buy one.
Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 06:58 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNJanice View Post
Not finding qualified people is an issue for most every industry. However, it has nothing to do with the quality of the people. It has to do with the fact that employers have no interest in training and promoting their people. "Back in the day" all employers knew that they would have to train new people and wanted to keep them. Now, most feel employers feel "entitled" to get someone fully trained for minimum wage, and then lay them off the first chance they get.

This isn't true everywhere- I'm a partner in a mid size landscape design/build firm. It's nearly impossible to find people willing to go out and do manual labor all day, because like someone mentioned above, the millennial generation truly does have a different attitude towards work. A few years ago We made a decision to raise our pay scale up significantly above our competition, created some additional in house training and overall took a good hard look at how we hired, managed, promoted, terminated, etc. it worked. In 2014 we had an annual turnover rate of over 70% for our field staff, which is typical in the industry. This year it was less than 8%, and all my new hires will be former employees or referrals from existing employees. It takes a lot of effort, but it's the only way to find good people and grow a business in this labor market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:27 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
There are even problems in the auto industry.

Since 50% or more parts are common to Chevy, GM, Buick and Caddy why can't I go to any dealer for warranty work. Can't take my Chevy to GMC can't take my Buick to a Chevy dealer, etc, etc. If you're in a city without your specific brand dealer, you're SOL, it can and does happen.
I can't speak for GM, but I have had warranty work completed on my wife's Lincoln at my local Ford dealer several times. No questions asked, and a great service experience.

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote