Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-02-2012, 01:02 AM   #1

A mouse in our house

I towed our trailer down to LaConner yesterday and found signs of a mouse in our trailer. I was surprised because I checked the coroplast for entry holes. I thing the little bugger is nesting underneath the shower. Has anyone removed the decorative surround at the base of the shower? It has several buttons in the middle of the vinyl surround. I don't know if they're snaps or decoration.
I bought these small square plastic pads that the mice are drawn to and get stuck on. I'm told they work well.

My wife and her friend are staying in the trailer this weekend. I was instructed to make up a bucket of rum slushies. That should give them the strength to deal with this mouse. Squeak squeak. Ha ha.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:15 AM   #2

Bucket of rum slushies sounds fun! The mouse... not!

Just wunderin' only because we've never had to catch a mouse in the tt (knock on wood)....If you use the "sticky" mouse trap pads and it 'catches' the mouse who gets stuck, can you retrieve the captured mouse or will you have to just let nature take it's course when it dies?
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:10 PM   #3

In my TT the sink is next to the shower and I can see under the shower pan from under the sink in the lower part of the cabinet. There is also a panel, two screws, that hide wiring behind this cabinet.

Don't know of the buttons.

Tracking campgrounds with Ultimate Campground Log
dalenoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:43 PM   #4

Forget the mouse! What's your recipe for rum slushies!?! :lizard:
TripleJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:55 PM   #5

Triple J, the slushies are made from a kit that comes in a bucket. I think from Linens and Things. Those kind of stores. There are several flavors. Piña Colada and coconut are the ones we had. The bucket has a bag of the liquid that you pour into the bucket and mix with 15 ounces of your cheapest rum. Than freeze. The ladies love them in the summer. They also have ones you mix with vodka. I'm more of a beer drinker, but the slushies do taste good.

Dalenoel, our bathroom is like that too. The opening is rather small from the cabinet to under the shower. It's hard to see into the space though. The back of the cabinet has a small board that hides the outside speaker and wiring, and maybe a nest. First time I've ever had a mouse. They have a odor to them I've noticed. I haven't seen any droppings but they chewed up a roll of toilet paper and that's how I knew. Not happy about this but I guess it does happen.

Healthi, the campsite employee told me they use them in the cabins. He implied they were dead but there was nothing on the package about poison. I think it was called Decon. It has two small trays with a sticky jell. I'm sure my wife will take them out and free them. I think I would do the same. Not big on killing things.
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Old 06-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #6

You can "peal" the mice off of the glue traps. You may hurt the mice when you do it.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthi View Post
Bucket of rum slushies sounds fun! The mouse... not!

Just wunderin' only because we've never had to catch a mouse in the tt (knock on wood)....If you use the "sticky" mouse trap pads and it 'catches' the mouse who gets stuck, can you retrieve the captured mouse or will you have to just let nature take it's course when it dies?
Did you think about offering the mouse some Rum Slushies?... On the serious side an ultrasonic pest repeller should send the little rodent packing....
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #8

Tlhdoc, well we haven't caught him yet so thankfully Not there yet. My wife thinks he's gone but I'm not so sure. I found another mouse trap that is in the shape of a bent plastic box. The door closes behind him once he is far enough in and his weight upsets the balance of the trap. No harm done.

Seann,
re. Ultrasonic repeller. Our neighbor had one at home who used it to drive away some pests but it drove our 19 and 21 year olds kids nuts. I couldn't hear diddly but the neighbor was kind enough to turn it off. If I don't catch anything in the next several days I'll try and find where their nest is .
Offering them the rum slushies was funny.
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Old 06-06-2012, 08:50 PM   #9

I've found that nothing works better than the old fashioned snap traps. I've watched mice run off with a glue trap stuck to their foot or pull off of them. Very aggrivating. Snap traps placed along the wall with the trigger pad against the wall works best. Place a few of them around where the mouse is moving through. I've had very good luck with them. I live in the country and they love my house for some reason, never messed with the trailer.
3Pillons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:32 PM   #10

Thanks for the tips I appreciate it. I have yet to catch this mouse and think he is dead or gone. Tomorrow I be bait an old fashioned trap and than go hunting for him. I figured out how to take apart the shower base and will hopefully find him and the nest.
two university students.
Cancer survivor