Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-23-2020, 06:50 AM   #21

I was just at my local dealer, they have 11 new units left to sell. Normally they have 50 or more. Folks are buying over the phone then driving hundreds of miles to pick up their unit. Some are making a vacation out of picking up their units.

Can they remember everything the dealer told them?

I'm wondering if a business model of meet you at a campsite and slowly teach you about your new RV isn't viable.

About pooping in the gas person, I'd love to hear their side of the story. Was this their first time dumping? Does that station have a dump and they misread the signs? How does that area not smell of gasoline?
Old 07-23-2020, 06:58 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
I was just at my local dealer, they have 11 new units left to sell. Normally they have 50 or more. Folks are buying over the phone then driving hundreds of miles to pick up their unit. Some are making a vacation out of picking up their units.

Can they remember everything the dealer told them?

I'm wondering if a business model of meet you at a campsite and slowly teach you about your new RV isn't viable.

About pooping in the gas person, I'd love to hear their side of the story. Was this their first time dumping? Does that station have a dump and they misread the signs? How does that area not smell of gasoline?
You may want to edit that last bit there Taft. It’s so funny I chuckled but I’m not sure it’s what your meant! That gas person would be furious!
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 07:24 AM   #23

Biofuel!
Old 07-23-2020, 08:07 AM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by db7512 View Post
Hope he had Farmers Insurance and can't wait for that commercial.
I don't think there will ever be a Farmers Insurance commercial as I'm not aware of any insurer that includes stupidity in their coverage. However, I think the RV owner will be facing hefty bill for that faux pas. That fuel tank could have been holding thousands of gallons of (now contaminated) gasoline.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 10:00 PM   #25

40 gallons in a 12,000 to 24,000 gallon tank. Just pump it and drive it.

40/12,000=.0033 40/24,000=.00166

Would bet the percentage of water in that tank is much higher.

A Smart phone is one that is NOT in your hand while driving!
64osby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 02:26 PM   #26

Send a message via Skype™ to viking42
It probably is covered by insurance as long as it wasn’t an intentional act and by that I mean he or she meant to do damage.
viking42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 03:54 PM   #27

With over 40 years in the fuels business we had leaks in the tanks letting in water. Either through defective lid seals or bad tanks and flood situations. The water drops to the bottom as it will not mix with the gas. Then the pump takes it to the hoses above ground that put it into your tank. If you pump a car tank full or part full of water it will only run for a mile or less and die. The cost to clean the car tank, lines, possibly replace injectors etc. is hundreds of dollars per car.
The station tank will have to be pumped dry by a contractor and the spoiled fuel taken to a refinery to be remade into gas. A big cost and loss. The lines and filters and possible the pumps will have to be purged or replaced. If this really happened to a small station it could bankrupt them even it they have insurance.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 08:18 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
With over 40 years in the fuels business we had leaks in the tanks letting in water. Either through defective lid seals or bad tanks and flood situations. The water drops to the bottom as it will not mix with the gas. Then the pump takes it to the hoses above ground that put it into your tank. If you pump a car tank full or part full of water it will only run for a mile or less and die. The cost to clean the car tank, lines, possibly replace injectors etc. is hundreds of dollars per car.
The station tank will have to be pumped dry by a contractor and the spoiled fuel taken to a refinery to be remade into gas. A big cost and loss. The lines and filters and possible the pumps will have to be purged or replaced. If this really happened to a small station it could bankrupt them even it they have insurance.
With black tank treatment, I suspect that it mixes a little, maybe a lot, better than just plain water. I'm sure there is a nonpolar part to tank treatments that would mix with the gasoline. I guess it also depends on the exact treatment they were using, too.

Either way, it's a mess.
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote