Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-24-2022, 11:35 AM   #41
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forester2 View Post
For Interstates for me 94 in N Dakota is pretty brutal. 90 in Indiana just about as bad with ridiculous 40mph speed limit in miles long stretchs of construction with no construction. Heavily patrolled too.
Reminded me of the time a local cop pulled me over on I-20 at about 4 in the morning and said "you were speeding through a construction zone, I said nope, the construction zone is on the westbound side and I'm eastbound. The cop, that may be, but you still should slow down, me, the fact remains the eastbound lanes are not in a construction zone. Cop, well I'm going to let you go this time. Me, okay, by.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 03:27 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
I thought about creating a thread about the best highways to travel, but as I thought about it, I don't think there is any... ~CA
There actually is though it is a deadly piece of interstate.
195 north of Portland Maine. 260 miles of essentially nothing.. and therein is the problem.

Moose, sleepy drivers ( truckers though there is not a lot of truck traffic) and general lack of anything visually stimulating other than trees. Drivers seem to find them though .

Its a smooth surface with a speed limit of 70; 75 for the 120 miles above Bangor. On that stretch you can literally play hockey on the roadway. Nothing..

Have your Red Bull handy. And don't drive at night if possible

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 03:33 PM   #43

Ever been across the George Washington Bridge in New York? That is BAD!

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 04:57 PM   #44

I-25 North of ABQ is a gem. There was a stretch of US 75 in OK(near Durant)that is brutal. There are lots and lots of miles of horrendously poorly maintained roads in this country.
1HasBeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 05:08 PM   #45

Yes, but I have to say that highway 58 from 99 to Barstow is almost brand-new and was a pleasure to drive.
2019 F-150
Semix-Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 06:46 AM   #46

US 20 from Freeport, Illinois west to Galena, Illinois is really bad. I drove it last year in May with the travel trailer and I had a hard time controlling the vehicle at the posted speed limit of 55 due to the amount of bouncing from all the bumps. The road has virtually no shoulder with deep ditches and is twisty and hilly. I had to go 10 under to feel safe. I had a pretty long backup of cars behind me.

Last weekend I drove it again without a trailer at all, but in the same truck, on the way to a scout camp out. It was just as bad if not worse. On the way home I went 40 miles out of my way to US 52 which was significantly better.

Shame on IDOT for letting it get this bad.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 09:11 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Just traveled I-40 from Barstow, CA, to get to the Grand Canyon. On the Arizona side: Worst. Roadway. Ever.

I’ve driven lots of roads in 50+ years from Canada to Mexico and I have never seen anything as brutally bad as this. Even neglected local backroads don’t even come close. From the Arizona border on, up through Kingman, it was hundreds of miles of torn up, rutted asphalt. These are not just potholes, but miles upon miles of pit mines masquerading as a highway with an occasional piece of asphalt in between. I am amazed we didn’t break an axle or find the cabinets fallen to the floor. I’m really glad I put beefed up suspension and new tires on the rig this spring. I’m still picking my fillings up off the floorboards.

I cannot fathom a state allowing highway conditions like this, let alone an interstate. It’s an embarrassment to the state of Arizona. If you’re planning a trip that includes this route, find another way somehow.
True fact.
Chino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 11:48 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
My vote is I-81 in PA from Hazleton to the NY boarder. It will loosen your dental work towing in that area. The expansion joints are spaced just perfectly to cause an up and down harmonic that is nearly unbearable. The funny thing is, in the 25 years that I have been traveling that route, they have repaved it numerous times and it always turns out the same.
Yeah, I concur. I've driven this route for 30 years, twice a year. In addition, I will add route 88 through southern New York, Binghamton to Oneonta. They keep trying to fix it, but no joy. Impressive expansion joints, wide and deep.
Old 05-26-2022, 03:38 PM   #49

I took it in 99 after a super downpour that flooded Vegas bad. The Highway if you wanna call it that was totally covered in rocks mud, and debrie from the storm. We were coming out of the West Side when it hit and the windshield wipers were useless, so we had to pull over for closed to an hour with a Van full of kids and dog's LOL We took it from GC to Vegas where my sister was living at the time. Tarantula's everywhere LOL My wife about keeled over just from seeing that.
boise49ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 04:02 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semix-Hex View Post
Yes, but I have to say that highway 58 from 99 to Barstow is almost brand-new and was a pleasure to drive.
Absolutely! Just drove the Barstow-to-Hwy 395 section this morning. Smooth as a baby’s butt.

Since I started this post, I will admit that the end result was worth suffering that awful stretch of I-40. It got us to these, and a lot more. I won’t stop traveling for that reason, but I’ll never drive that stretch again. Ever.
[Photos clockwise: South Rim, North Rim, Bryce Canyon.]
Attached Thumbnails
C4311A01-40DB-4F91-9646-7245962FC61A.jpg   3639C583-4383-4CC0-8814-8EFD6DFEBE80.jpg   4067A0AA-BE73-4594-94F9-13C18A266790.jpg   D6CB7C41-91D8-468A-9E5D-1BC774B1673B.jpg  
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:22 AM   #51

Those are spectacular. Looks like a great trip even with the rough roads.

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:29 AM   #52

Spent 5 hours yesterday dodging potholes on I-40 between Tucumcari, NM & Gallup, NM. You know it's bad when there are signs "Rough Road Ahead". After only 54,000 miles on my TV I think I need new shocks!
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 12:01 PM   #53

Northern 81 in pa and Northern 88 in new york along with 78 between Allentown and Hamburg get my votes as the worst in the northeast.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 04:32 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by colby View Post
Those are spectacular. Looks like a great trip even with the rough roads.
Thanks! And those were just “quickies” with the iPhone. Hard to miss with such amazing sights. Unfortunately, it was already quite crowded at all the parks. Pent up post-Covid demand I guess.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
Old 05-31-2022, 08:10 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
My vote is I-81 in PA from Hazleton to the NY boarder. It will loosen your dental work towing in that area. The expansion joints are spaced just perfectly to cause an up and down harmonic that is nearly unbearable. The funny thing is, in the 25 years that I have been traveling that route, they have repaved it numerous times and it always turns out the same.

As a bonus, as of January when I drove through there last, there was a series of potholes on the southbound side literally as soon as you cross in to PA that certainly welcome you to our wonderful roadways.
I agree this section of I81 is the worst.
Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 08:42 PM   #56

Shreveport should be ashamed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
For me it’s I-20 thru Shreveport , LA every year when we make our trek to FL. I’ve lost 3 center hub caps on my Ram driving thru that stretch over the years!
Amen Brother. We travel between Atlanta (where I285 between I75 and I20 is bad) to Dallas a couple of times every year. That stretch of I20 in Shreveport is awful. But the stretch through Jackson MS ain't much better.

We have 2 recliners in the back of our 5th wheel. They were designed to be strapped down with utility straps. They have busted the straps, pulled the tie down points out of the floor, and bounced all over the back of the RV.
Last trip we broke dishes.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 08:44 AM   #57

I couldn't imagine what interior damage would have resulted if we didn't have shock absorbers on our fifth wheel. They help tremendously.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 02:40 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Just traveled I-40 from Barstow, CA, to get to the Grand Canyon. On the Arizona side: Worst. Roadway. Ever.
When I made my previous comments on I-40 going East from Kingman, I was basing it on my trip in August of 2021. This past weekend we once again made the trip form Kingman to Williams, AZ on I-40. The road has seriously deteriorated , and frankly is unsafe on certain stretches for any vehicle! Trucks were swerving to avoid the potholes and bad pavement, and there were a couple of times I thought something was bound to break on my trailers suspension. It was basically a white knuckled 2 hour experience, and I say that after being a 32 year semi driver with millions of logged miles. To call it a part of America's Interstate highway system is a joke. Driving it at night has to be a littoral nightmare!

Once at the RV park a careful inspection revealed no damage, and surprisingly nothing had fallen out of the cabinets, and the refrigerator door was still attached and in one piece.

In the past we have taken the old Route 66 out of Kingman to Seligman. It is soooo much better than I-40. No Semi's, no potholes, and no going up and down mountain grades. Route 66 also continues from Seligman to Ash Fork, but we have never used that portion of Route 66 until today.

After leaving Ash Fork, headed West on I-40, about 4 miles out of town is the turn off to Crookton Road...the old Route 66. What a beautiful road compared to I-40, and it's over 100 years old! No semi's, easy grades, no potholes, and no traffic! It was the most relaxing part of the whole trip going back home. It was about 20 miles from the turnoff to Seligman. Lots of Prairie Dogs, cattle and horses to see along the way. it is pretty remote with no services, so always make sure you have enough fuel for the trip. We continued home on Route 66 for the last part of our trip.

It was 103 miles from Kingman to Williams on I-40; 120 miles on the return trip...17 miles further, but well worth it in my opinion.

We have to make another trip going East next month. Headed to Colorado for our granddaughter wedding, and we will be getting our kicks on Route 66 for the first 120 miles.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 03:48 PM   #59
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRay View Post
Amen Brother. We travel between Atlanta (where I285 between I75 and I20 is bad) to Dallas a couple of times every year. That stretch of I20 in Shreveport is awful. But the stretch through Jackson MS ain't much better.

We have 2 recliners in the back of our 5th wheel. They were designed to be strapped down with utility straps. They have busted the straps, pulled the tie down points out of the floor, and bounced all over the back of the RV.
Last trip we broke dishes.
Are you going through Shreveport or taking the 220 bypass? That stretch through downtown Shreveport is rough as a cob. The bypass is 17.5 mi. and a bit better highway.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 04:25 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
When I made my previous comments on I-40 going East from Kingman, I was basing it on my trip in August of 2021. This past weekend we once again made the trip form Kingman to Williams, AZ on I-40. The road has seriously deteriorated , and frankly is unsafe on certain stretches for any vehicle! Trucks were swerving to avoid the potholes and bad pavement, and there were a couple of times I thought something was bound to break on my trailers suspension. It was basically a white knuckled 2 hour experience, and I say that after being a 32 year semi driver with millions of logged miles. To call it a part of America's Interstate highway system is a joke. Driving it at night has to be a littoral nightmare!

Once at the RV park a careful inspection revealed no damage, and surprisingly nothing had fallen out of the cabinets, and the refrigerator door was still attached and in one piece.

In the past we have taken the old Route 66 out of Kingman to Seligman. It is soooo much better than I-40. No Semi's, no potholes, and no going up and down mountain grades. Route 66 also continues from Seligman to Ash Fork, but we have never used that portion of Route 66 until today.

After leaving Ash Fork, headed West on I-40, about 4 miles out of town is the turn off to Crookton Road...the old Route 66. What a beautiful road compared to I-40, and it's over 100 years old! No semi's, easy grades, no potholes, and no traffic! It was the most relaxing part of the whole trip going back home. It was about 20 miles from the turnoff to Seligman. Lots of Prairie Dogs, cattle and horses to see along the way. it is pretty remote with no services, so always make sure you have enough fuel for the trip. We continued home on Route 66 for the last part of our trip.

It was 103 miles from Kingman to Williams on I-40; 120 miles on the return trip...17 miles further, but well worth it in my opinion.

We have to make another trip going East next month. Headed to Colorado for our granddaughter wedding, and we will be getting our kicks on Route 66 for the first 120 miles.
Sorry to hear, but I do feel vindicated LOL. We actually did take 66 north out of Kingman and found it much better as you said. But I-40 south/west of Kingman is a disaster. I still can’t believe nothing broke, but I did take my TV in for an alignment when I got back. Fast lane was a bit better but I didn’t dare use that with trucks coming up at 70+ mph. Arizonans ought to demand better.