Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-17-2012, 05:55 PM   #1

AC Heat Strip

Does anyone know if the AC knob has a red side along with the blue, does that mean it has a heat strip is built into the AC unit, or is that something you need to have added?
Old 12-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #2

The only way to tell is when it is cool turn it on, turn it all the way up. Do you get heat? If you do it has a heat strip.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:20 PM   #3

Yeah did that, and it did not really heat up. I need to pull the filter and look inside to see if I can see it, or look for a sticker on my roof unit on my 19H.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:25 PM   #4

On my AC unit, the heat strip is an option. From what I can tell, your fan control speed knob will have a position that is labeled heat. If you fan speed control knob has two positions that are labeled the same, then your unit can have the heat strip option added.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:09 PM   #5

On my Airxcel AC the heat strip is an option. Jagiven's post is correct. You would get a new control knob with the kit, and one of the fan positions would now be for heat. You have to drop the filter / access panel first, and the heat strip mounts on the ceiling assembly. I don't remember how many watts it is rated for, but is was about the same as a hair blow dryer so we stayed with a small electric space heater. The kit seemed easy enough to install and was about $50 at a local RV dealer. I'm sure you could find a lower price with a little searching. Airxcel stated up front the heat strip is not a furnace substitute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
On my AC unit, the heat strip is an option. From what I can tell, your fan control speed knob will have a position that is labeled heat. If you fan speed control knob has two positions that are labeled the same, then your unit can have the heat strip option added.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:59 PM   #6

As the others have said there will be a heat setting on the control knob. I have had a heat strip in my current Coleman AC unit and in my Carrier Air V that I had on my PU. The heat strips do work. They blow a lot of air so the air does not get hot. It only feels warm, but it is producing as much heat as a portable electric heater. The heat strip also circulates the hot air through out the camper, and is great for circulating the hot air the furnace blows out. If you have a hybird or PU with bunkends the AC/heat blows the air into the bunkends too.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:25 AM   #7

thldoc, thanks for your input. I'm going to reconsider adding a heat strip after reading your post. I have a x17z also, and warm air blowing into the bunks ends sounds like a good idea; so does circulating the furnace output. When I first considered adding a heat strip, I wanted to save the space a portable heater takes, and free-up an electrical outlet. But those things weren't worth $50 to me. Airxcel is a Coleman product so we're probably talking about basically the same product with a different label. Their name for the kit is Elect-A-Heat.

Tracy, I always enjoy your posts - you have something to say.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:31 AM   #8

Thanks for the advice. I think I will put that on my list for spring mods to get it installed. I would also think it would be handy for those rainy damp days when you are turtled up with the ends not extended.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheGo View Post
thldoc, thanks for your input. I'm going to reconsider adding a heat strip after reading your post. I have a x17z also, and warm air blowing into the bunks ends sounds like a good idea; so does circulating the furnace output. When I first considered adding a heat strip, I wanted to save the space a portable heater takes, and free-up an electrical outlet. But those things weren't worth $50 to me. Airxcel is a Coleman product so we're probably talking about basically the same product with a different label. Their name for the kit is Elect-A-Heat.

Your welcome.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheGo View Post

I put the heat strip in our son's X17Z and they love it. Keeps them warm and toasty on those cool nights.