Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-28-2022, 03:44 PM   #1
tld

Adding a dimmer switch to LED ceiling lights

My TT came with 9 LED ceiling lights that are either all on at the same time (at full brightness) or all off. I would like to add a dimmer switch to control the brightness. There are two on/off switches for the ceiling lights: one on/off switch on the side of the counter and another on/off switch on my control panel center where the controls for the slides, exterior lights, water heater, etc. are located. The on/off switch on the side of the counter is on the high side of the LED light circuit. If I replace the side-of-the-counter on/off switch with a dimmer switch will that work? Or, since there is a second on/off switch in the control panel, will that cause a problem?*
tld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 05:44 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld View Post
My TT came with 9 LED ceiling lights that are either all on at the same time (at full brightness) or all off. I would like to add a dimmer switch to control the brightness. There are two on/off switches for the ceiling lights: one on/off switch on the side of the counter and another on/off switch on my control panel center where the controls for the slides, exterior lights, water heater, etc. are located. The on/off switch on the side of the counter is on the high side of the LED light circuit. If I replace the side-of-the-counter on/off switch with a dimmer switch will that work? Or, since there is a second on/off switch in the control panel, will that cause a problem?*

I would think placing a dimmer would work, you'd need to figure out what type you need. Check this link out-

RV Dimmer Wiring Options.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 06:09 PM   #3

I don't know what kind of switches you have but on my class a if you hold the switch in the on position it will cycle the lights from bright to dim. I didn't know they did this until I had it about 6 months.
johnsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 10:18 AM   #4

If Johnsat's idea doesn't work make sure you find the make/model of light and see if it is dim-able. Some LEDs are but many are not. Attempting to dim an LED that is not made to dim will either harm it, flicker or just not be happy and do odd things.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 10:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld View Post
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ml#post1075793
2016 Ram 2500 CC SWB 6.4 Hemi 3:73
2021 Jay Flight 33RBTS- +/- 10,500 lbs. on travel day
Hughes Power Watchdog Bluetooth surge protector
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 11:00 AM   #6

12VDC LED's are dimmable if they are being powered directly from a 12VDC source; they can be dimmed with a solid state dimmer.
If a 120VAC source is being used via a power supply to attain the 12VDC, then you may have to deal with warts and hair getting things to work.

I see I have to type faster (edit)

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 04:39 PM   #7

Dimmer Switch

My 5th wheel came with 2 dimmers (main living area and dining area). I just replaced the bedroom and over the couch light switch with a dimmer switch. It is pretty easy to do if the lights already are LEDs. You can also get them as a double switch. They are made by RecPro and can be found on Amazon.

https://www.recpro.com/rv-12v-dimmer...RoCsUcQAvD_BwE

David

2019 Jayco Eagle HT 24.5CKTS (new to me 9/2022)
2016 F250 6.7L CCSB 4x4 - AirLift 5000
Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch
David_ski is offline   Reply With Quote