Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #1

Adding Fan-Tastic Fan?

We are picking up our 2013 26RLS next Saturday and are making sure we have everything. The 26RLS has two vents, one in the rear of the TT that is just a plain vent and another vent in the bathroom which has the small, stock fan.

Is it possible to put a Fan-tastic fan in the rear vent that doesn't currently have a fan? Is the vent prewired for a fan? Would you put a fan-tastic fan in the bathroom too?

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:07 PM   #2

I just got the Jayco Redhawk and it had a "computer" fan for the bathroom and just a vent for the bedroom. I had them install a Fan-tastic fan in both locations. They charged me 1/2 hour labor to run the 12v wire for the bedroom. I thought that was fair. Now it's awesome! I can turn both on high and get a good breeze!
rcase13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:13 PM   #3

Can't answer if your rear vent has power pulled to it or not.

I will suggest that you look into Heng's Vortex (or Vortex II) Fan opposed to the Fan-Tastic fan. Nothing wrong with the Fan-Tastic, IIRC however it required breaking the factory roof seal and replacing the entire Vent. The Vortex retro fits into existing vents, no breaking the factory seal, and works great. The Vortex can be found ~$50 and has a single speed and the Vortex II is ~$90 and has multi-speed. I installed the single speed, have no complaints. A very easy DIY, all from the inside, took about 20min.

Consider adding Max-Air roof covers too.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:39 PM   #4

Not sure about being prewired, but I will say the Fan-tastics work great. We have two of them (one front and one in bedroom ) in our 5er, both with the automatic rain closure feature and thermostatic control on the wall. It's nice to be able to leave them open and running while leaving for the day, and not worry about rain getting in if it clouds over.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:47 PM   #5

Someone mentioned a max air turbo fan/vent.

Here's the link.

I guess since the fan is located outside the TT it's a little quieter, or so they said.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #6

I installed the Shurflo Comfort Air Platinum in the rear of my camper where there was a non powered vent. It was an easy install and I had power close so that wasn't an issue. I picked up the the fan at an auction new in the box for $50.
big78ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #7

The fantastic fan I have is made to fit the standard 14 x 14 inch hole. I would think they would be pre-wired but that isn't a real big deal. My bedroom has a rear full cabinet along the front wall of the trailer where our bed room is located that is already wired with 12VDC for the bed lights. We also have a regular 12VDC ceiling light located just inches away from the ceiling fan vent hole.

You should be able to drop the ceiling light and using a long philips screwdriver and poke a hole from the inside of the ceiling light and come out inside the 14x14 - inch vent fan hole already in the ceiling. My trailer uses foam between the ceiling and the roof. Very easy to push wiring cable thru the foam. My fantastic fan has its controls on the unit unit itself so only requires 12VDC you can tap in the ceiling light fixture.

I'm sure you have read about how great the FANTASTIC folks honors their products and offers great warranty for repairs...

My FANTASTIC fan works wonderful in both my trailers. My OFF-ROAD POPUP uses one and it is perfect for pulling in cool evening air thru the fabric tent ends slightly opened on the two adjacent side walls. Great circulation of cool night air...

Same with the fifth wheel trailer - just crack open a couple of windows in the far side of the trailer and pull in cool fresh night air throughout the trailer.

If you have the standard 14 x 14 -inch hole already cut into the ceiling of the trailer it should not be a hard installation task.

Roy ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:30 AM   #8

I replaced the el-cheapo stock fan with a Fan-Tastic fan. Breaking the factory roof seal, while it is a scary prospect, it really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

I think the Fan-Tastic fan will move more air in 15 minutes than the stock one would move in a day.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
Can't answer if your rear vent has power pulled to it or not.
I will suggest that you look into Heng's Vortex (or Vortex II) Fan opposed to the Fan-Tastic fan. Nothing wrong with the Fan-Tastic, IIRC however it required breaking the factory roof seal and replacing the entire Vent. The Vortex retro fits into existing vents, no breaking the factory seal, and works great. The Vortex can be found ~$50 and has a single speed and the Vortex II is ~$90 and has multi-speed. I installed the single speed, have no complaints. A very easy DIY, all from the inside, took about 20min.
====================

Many thanks for the tip on Heng's Mfg.. They have an all metal over stove vent exterior cover. I've replaced two exterior vent covers (plastic) and still the little vent flapper tabs break off and the tabs to keep it closed break off. Heng has an all metal version. I'm buying it- period.
http://hengsindustries.com/aboutus.html

Happy trails,
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #10

I went the easier route with the Heng's Vortez 3 speed reversible option. At the time it was aboutt $75.00 and you can find them on e-bay or internet RV outlets. A few members here have done the same mod and with very pleasing results. If it's a scratch install then you need 12 v. You will not need to break the roof seal at all. You retain the original frame work but just replace the screen and fan with this new self contained housing. They work just as good as fantastic and it takes about 30 mins to install if you have power there already.

The Jayco fans are not Fantastic but Northern Breeze brand. I asked for them to install an extra one at the factory and they declined to do it so I put the vortex in the BH for when there is no AC.

Google Heng's vortex and you will see it. It is made by the same vendor that supplies the Jayco vents.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #11

We put a maxx air deluxe in our trailer. I was pretty nervous starting out but it seemed easy enough so away I went. It was pretty easy works great has a remote control. There is most likely a power wire nearby to tap into. If there is a light near the opening then you have a power supply just plan on where your wires are ging to be put away before you cut them I just about cut too far away fom where the wires fom the fan would be hidden. There is video in this link for the install.
http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...hlight=Maxxair

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:40 AM   #12

I did not get the Vortec on purpose because of the cheap vent installed at the factory.

Got a Maxx, the 10speed, reversing without the remote. Removal of old and installing new took just under 2 hrs, from the time this old guy got the fan out of the box. That included a couple trips up and down. Be sure to have a full tube of self leveling caulk The only hard part is removing the existing caulk to get the new unit to sit properly (the flange was about 1/2" wider than factory one).

The end result is OUTSTANDING. Compared to the factory fan this thing is a HUGE difference. It is as quiet as the better room fans, even on the highest setting. On the lower settings you cannot hear it unless you are standing under it. And it moves a ton of air.

I very much recommend replacing your factory fan if you get the chance.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:03 AM   #13

After our doing research, we have decided to get the MaxxAir Deluxe. The Fan-Tastic Fan product is worthy as well.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:55 AM   #14

I had the MaxxAir Deluxe fan installed by the dealer before I took delivery. I was debating between the MaxxAir and Fantastic Fan. Had a Fantastic Fan installed in our last trailer.

This Maxx Air Deluxe does a good job, and I went with it because it was cheaper, since the Fantastic Fan would need a vent cover to keep out rain if you needed to run the fan while it was raining outside.

The MaxxAir Deluxe comes with a rain cover.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote