Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-10-2019, 01:09 PM   #1

Adding Insulation

Jayflight 265RLS. We live in Oklahoma and it is extremely hot in the summer so I want to do everything I can to keep the camper cool. Noticed the super thin board around the bed/storage area. I can actually see light through the gaps when the storage doors are open. Has anyone added a layer of insulation to the boards around the bed area and if so, what did you use?
Biggiantshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:25 PM   #2

I did mine with 1/2” polystyrene board and liquid nails, because I had it lying around from another project. I’m not sure if it helped, because I didn’t do anything scientific to measure before/after. No more light, though. The wife is happy, and that is enough for me.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlackDak View Post
The wife is happy, and that is enough for me.
Smart man..
Old 07-10-2019, 04:08 PM   #4

One suggestion would be the addition of a slide topper. There is very little insulation on the roof of the slide. I used an infrared thermometer on interior of our 27RLS and found there was lots of heat gain through that roof. After adding the slide topper, the inside of the slide out roof is noticeably cooler.

We added MaxxAir covers over our 2 roof vents. Those covers reduced the heat from the closed roof vents.

Our trailer has 2 skylights - one in the kitchen area and the other for the shower. I cut pieces from a solar reflector windshield shade (cheap ones from W*mart) and use a couple of tabs of painters tape to hold them in place.

We also strung a line to hang towels OUTSIDE of the trailer to block the sun from shining through our tinted windows of our slide. They were only hung in the afternoon when it wasn't cloudy.

Our trailer has a LARGE rear window. I have a couple of the W*mart solar windshield shades I can put between the window blinds and the glass. Not great, but it helped.

I believe the most effective heat reduction strategy is to park your unit in the shade. If you can't do that, then do something to stop the sun from shining onto trailer's glass. For this season, I have a section of 85% sun block mesh I will string across the outside to keep the sun off our large rear window. We haven't been camping yet to put it to the test, but I'm confident it will help a lot.

BTW, those infrared thermometers (less than $20) can be a big help finding where your trailer's heat gain is coming from. You'll find single pane tinted glass gets hot and the window shades do little to block the heat.

Good luck!
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
One suggestion would be the addition of a slide topper. There is very little insulation on the roof of the slide. I used an infrared thermometer on interior of our 27RLS and found there was lots of heat gain through that roof. After adding the slide topper, the inside of the slide out roof is noticeably cooler.

We added MaxxAir covers over our 2 roof vents. Those covers reduced the heat from the closed roof vents.

Our trailer has 2 skylights - one in the kitchen area and the other for the shower. I cut pieces from a solar reflector windshield shade (cheap ones from W*mart) and use a couple of tabs of painters tape to hold them in place.

We also strung a line to hang towels OUTSIDE of the trailer to block the sun from shining through our tinted windows of our slide. They were only hung in the afternoon when it wasn't cloudy.

Our trailer has a LARGE rear window. I have a couple of the W*mart solar windshield shades I can put between the window blinds and the glass. Not great, but it helped.

I believe the most effective heat reduction strategy is to park your unit in the shade. If you can't do that, then do something to stop the sun from shining onto trailer's glass. For this season, I have a section of 85% sun block mesh I will string across the outside to keep the sun off our large rear window. We haven't been camping yet to put it to the test, but I'm confident it will help a lot.

BTW, those infrared thermometers (less than $20) can be a big help finding where your trailer's heat gain is coming from. You'll find single pane tinted glass gets hot and the window shades do little to block the heat.

Good luck!

I bought a roll of that bubble foil at Home Depot, and we cut a piece to fit each window. We put them in at night, and leave them in on the sun side of the trailer on warm days.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:53 PM   #6

I "insulated" the front pass thru compartment on our TT with the foil backed type insulation available at various big box stores, I just stapled it to the top and back side ( the sides that faced into the TT under the bed). Warning, the wood is very thin, use the shortest staples you can find, or liquid nails may work.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:18 PM   #7

X2 on the foil bubble wrap on the windows and the bathroom dome. Huge amount of gain during sunlight through that dome!.

Also, the 1/4 inch plywood on the bed platform around the sides.

If the floor feels warm to your feet add some through rugs as floor insulation.

Keep your AC fins clean and if they get dented use a comb to GENTLY straightened. Make sure your AC filter is clean to keep air moving.
A small fan blowing on you can also help.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:01 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggiantshane View Post
snip.... Has anyone added a layer of insulation to the boards around the bed area and if so, what did you use?
I did just that...., stapled foil insulation as suggested earlier, plus closed off the storage area.

Reference Post #26 here: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...-51005-15.html

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:43 PM   #9

Thanks, didn't think of that stuff, also my wife hates any light in the bedroom so I understand! We have a door in the bedroom and the first thing I ordered is the blackout curtain for it.
Biggiantshane is offline   Reply With Quote