Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-25-2018, 04:17 PM   #1

Adding window film coatings

We have been thinking about adding window film (3M or similar) to reduce heat and cold from our single pane windows.

Any one had good or bad experience after applying the window film? Does it help with condensation, heat or cold?

We cover our windows with aluminized bubble wrap purchased from Lowes or Menards as heating duct insulation wrap when store it to reduce fading.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:10 PM   #2

Aren’t your windows already tinted? If not, it will help a little in the summer by cutting down the amount of light coming in, but it will do nothing for condensation

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:19 PM   #3

Not sure what advice to offer on the window tint. I think it is more of a personal preference for the look. Considering you basically have a styrafoam box with a hard shell and windows, you're not going to turn it into a R-50 shelter by tinting the windows. I have never found it difficult to heat or cool any of the TT's I've owned. Could you make one more efficient? I imagine you could but unless you expect to spend a lot of time in it during extreme temps, my thinking is you're over thinking this. I've also never seen anyone put bubble wrap on the windows for storage.

I suspect you are just wanting to do what you can to keep your RV looking nice. I'm not a fan of covers, but I think I would go that route before spending the time each cycle to cover the windows. Just my opinion though.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:08 PM   #4

We added tinting film to the windows of the front bedroom when we owned our 32BHDS. It made no difference in condensation on windows but provided privacy without having to always shut blinds when changing and with the windows already tinted from Jayco, helped to make the room much darker for sleeping.
Tiguan Tow r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:29 PM   #5

Is this inexpensive?
Old 04-25-2018, 07:00 PM   #6

I added tinted window film from HD and its helped a lot with cutting down the heat in the rv. Its also given more privacy (except at night). Jayco had already installed lightly tinted windows but they didn't help much when the sun beat down. Cost was around a hundred bucks, as I remember. Installation was a bear cuz the film would shrink slightly after installation but I would do it again.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:29 AM   #7

I used the cheaper window tint from Walmart and bought the installation kit. It was an inexpensive improvement to the trailer. The key is to follow instructions and take your time. I found doing it when the weather was in the mid to high 60's to 70's and window was in the shade was best for me. Start on the smallest window first for practise. There are many utube instructional video's on this. The windows still looked good after 5 years.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:13 AM   #8

I've seen some that have bubbles in them? Maybe not the professional install?

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 01:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaandDon View Post
I've seen some that have bubbles in them? Maybe not the professional install?
I have tried on car windows before and gotten some bubbles. Now I let my DW do it and on flat glass no bubbles.

The trick is preparation and patience. I watched her slowly working each bubble before she let the work dry.

As mentioned before, start with a small window to get experience. If it doesn't turn out, take it off and try again. It takes some time to fully dry out.

In my original post I asked for camper experience in insulting single glass. I have done it for home use and found it helped cut heat gain from the sun and heat loss. Not a lot, be enough to make the room a little more comfortable.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:35 PM   #10

Keep spraying the window as you apply the film so it can be positioned where you want it. Then meticulously squeegee out the bubbles. Then trim the edges. If you see a few really small bubbles when you are done, give it a few days and they should disappear. On flat glass you can get good results.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:52 PM   #11

Can't comment on condensation or cold, but if you install window tint with good UVA/UVB protection it will increase the cooling efficiency of your a/c units during the summer---especially if you have a lot of windows. Not all window tint offers good UVA/UVB protection. The cheaper varieties are notorious for offering little to no protection. Check the small print.

Our last 5th wheel had two a/c units which would barely sustain 80 degree interior temps with 110-115 degree ambient temps in the desert SW. Tinted all the windows with ceramic window tint. On our next trip (with similar ambient temps) the two a/c units easily cooled down to 78 degrees and even cycled off and on occasionally. When it's that hot outside, 78 degrees feels significantly cooler than 80 degrees.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote