Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-26-2019, 10:37 AM   #41

I wanted to check in and thank everyone for their advice. Made it home yesterday after just shy of 2 months on the road. We clocked just shy of 7,000 miles. Repairs included replacing jack controller and microwave bracket after the fin Ohio and New York toll roads nearly removed from the wall. The stock mattress is now affectionatel....or not...called lumpy. I lost 9 pounds which dropped my blood sugar to nearly normal.

We are now contemplating selling our home, buying a small condo, upgrading to a class A and spending more time traveling.
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 11:33 AM   #42

We have a house checklist that lists everything that needs to be taken care before we leave. That way when the time comes to lock the doors and hit the road you know you haven't forgotten anything.

I am another one who recommends turning off the water, especially if you have a 2 story house.
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 12:01 PM   #43

Glad you made it home. Sounds like an adventure! Nothing wrong with loosing a little weight to Benefit your health!

I always thought I needed a Class A but 3 RV’s later we are happy with our 28’8” Redhawk. Buy what suits your needs and is comfortable for you, not only in the back but behind the wheel too!

Happy trails.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 12:06 PM   #44

JD 99336 Also I noticed you have a Cherokee TrailHawk toad, how was the toad on the trip? Any wobble or issues? We are still shopping for a new toad.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:48 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
After my parents went full time... they sold their home - as being mentioned in this thread.

Now in retrospect, they don't think it was a good decision after all.

Face it, we are all getting older. Do you really expect to be travelling in your Full-Time RV in the final years of your life? At some point an illness or injury is going to prevent us from driving, climbing in/out of our RV's and we will be physically unable to continue Full Time.

Who wants to go and start all over and buy/rent a home/condo/apartment - furnish it and go thru all of the stuff you have to do??? You already have all of the furnishings now... Maybe it is smarter to downsize while you are able to while healthy enough?
To clarify, we did not sell out to go full timing. We MOVED to new permanent home. The decision was not made in haste and something we had talked about for several years leading up to retirement. If you are testing out full timing for a couple years, I'm probably not going to sell the old homestead. Many full timing experments based on the people we now call neighbors are to fulfill a wonder lust but also to find the area they want to settle down in.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:08 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
JD 99336 Also I noticed you have a Cherokee TrailHawk toad, how was the toad on the trip? Any wobble or issues? We are still shopping for a new toad.
I love my Trailhawk. I have had Wranglers, Tacoma and such...all very fine and fun rigs, but the TH is an easy tow (I did have the tow harness installed by the dealer that powers the electronic steering while towing...2019 eliminated the need for this). I would often get upset at the jerk tail-gating me before realizing it was me. No wobble in nearly 12K of being towed behind the Jayco on a REadyBrute tow bar.

My mileage for the trip averaged about 7.5 mph under tow with a high of 9.7 (in Wyoming and in Utah on the return) and a low of 5.8 (Missouri hills and high head winds). I averaged about 65 mph when cruising. On some hills and mountain passes, I would drop down to 50-55 (6% grades) but was still passing trucks.

I put a 2" lift in my TH and Rock Rails and with the locking diffs and it climbs hard, but the most I use it for is forest service roads with some harder two track.
Attached Thumbnails
20170519_125138.jpg  
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote