Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-18-2013, 08:54 AM   #1

Advice for WDH - 287BHBE and 3/4 ton Suburban

Hi folks,

Just purchased a Jay Flight Swift 287BHBE. We will take delivery on 10/28. We have also purchased a 2005 Suburban 2500 with 6.0L engine and 4.10 gears. I am currently researching WD hitch systems. I do have experience RVing, having previously owned a 29' Terry trailer with 1999 Suburban 2500 with 454 and 4.10's. On that trailer, I had the round-style spring bars with dual-friction sway control. That setup worked well. I have extensively used my brother's 20' toy hauler with a Equal-i-zer hitch, and I like that it has the sway control 'built in' and it seems a little easier to hitch up. Currently I am debating between the Equal-i-zer or a Draw-Tite Trunion bar with the dual-cam sway control. I can get either one for almost exactly the same price ($445-$470...I haven't shopped extensively however.)

The setup will be used most frequently by my parents. I would like to make the hitching process as easy as possible for my father, who is still able bodied but no spring chicken. I also want to make it as simple as possible...less steps means less chances for error. Having experience with the friction and Equal-i-zer, I'm inclined to go with the Equal-i-zer. I like the simplicity and I've been happy with the performance...but I've read that the cam system is the 'Cadillac' of WD/anti-sway.

One last question...the TT has a GVWR of 8000 lbs and and empty tongue weight of 670 lbs. Since I don't have the trailer yet to take actual weights, I'm relying on the "hitch weight equals 10%-15% of gross weight" rule which puts me at between 800 - 1200 lbs. I'm thinking the hitch setup for 10k gross with 1,000 tongue should be sufficient. I don't see them loading the trailer too closely to gross very often. Thought/opinions?
aakorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:34 AM   #2

I've had a ProPride 3P which I would call the best as it eliminates sway, or so they and Hensley claim. I can't disagree. But it didn't fit my TT without a lot of modding that I wasn't willing to do, not for that price. Anyone want it for cheap?

Previously I had a Blue Ox, a chain system. Worked well but I sold it with the old trailer.

Now I have an Equalizer with 1400# bars and really like it. Hookup is easy and their customer service and guarantee are excellent IMO.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:38 AM   #3

Advice for WDH - 287BHBE and 3/4 ton Suburban

I'm interested. PMd. Scratch that, you're PM box quota is full. Send me a PM when you can.
mraplx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:55 PM   #4

Love my Propride! It's way easier to hook up than the chain type WDH I was using prior.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:45 PM   #5

The Propride is a little out of our budget...After some more research, I think I've settled on the Equal-i-zer. With a GVWR or 8000 lbs, should I go with 1000 lb or 1200 lb bars? Empty hitch weight is 670...I can see my dad being pretty diligent about loading. There is a used one with 1000 lb bars nearby for $200, should I have any reservations about buying a used WDH?
aakorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:25 PM   #6

I think the 1000 lb bars should be sufficient for your needs. I don't see any issues with buying used WDH, after we all eventually are using used equipment. Just watch for excessive rust, and be sure the bars are similar in shape to each other, be sure the shaft to the hitch is straight and does not show excessive wear.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote