Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-01-2019, 09:17 AM   #21

Chet & Marie, you seem to be satisfied with your current TT. If you’ve read the rants on this forum you know there are a lot of unhappy buyers of new RV’s out there. If you’re looking at a new Whitehawk of similar size and floor plan then it’s not clear to me what you’re gaining other than a newer model. You could spend that money and end up with a headache, trips to the dealer for warranty work or doing a lot of the minor repairs yourself. Or you could get lucky and end up with a trouble free rig and get what you paid for. It’s kind of a crapshoot.
If you really want to spend an additional $20k then as previously mentioned put it into some upgrades, or perhaps put it towards a new tow vehicle. You are already happy with what you have and there are a lot of people in this world that never arrive at that point.
I get it that many people have limited funds and purchase what are considered “entry level RV’s” and then upgrade when they can afford it. I’ve been there myself. But it always amazes me when I read some of these forum posts and see people spending $150K+ every few years so they can have the newest or latest and greatest. And there is always something wrong with these expensive rigs, too. It’s not unique to TT’s and 5’ers. MH’s have their issues, also. Just look at the Class C and Class A forums here and if you go over to Tiffin, Newmar, Entegra, Winnebago and other brand forums you’ll see just as many problems there.
You are in a unique situation. You are happy with your setup and you have some discretionary funds available. IMHO spend it where you think it will keep you in your comfort zone. Good luck.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:43 PM   #22
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
The GM 5.3L reaches peak torque at 4100 RPM.

https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NA...section=oi_def
That's the peak torque. Doesn't mean you can run it for hours at that RPM.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 12:47 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
That's where they are programmed to run under load. Other than being difficult to listen to, it will do absolutely no harm.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 03:30 PM   #24

Thanks so much for the suggestions every one. We are going to look at some remodeling including cabinets, recliners, as sinks and taller toilet stool. Some one posted about trading off one that works great for a new one that it will take time to correct its bugs and that we do not want to do.
Thanks again for your posts. That is why we love this site.
Chet & Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 03:54 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet & Marie View Post
Thanks so much for the suggestions every one. We are going to look at some remodeling including cabinets, recliners, as sinks and taller toilet stool. Some one posted about trading off one that works great for a new one that it will take time to correct its bugs and that we do not want to do.
Thanks again for your posts. That is why we love this site.
And all this time I thought the stool went IN the toilet!!!!! Enjoy your upgrades!
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 03:57 PM   #26
CAG

Some how this turned from upgrading a RV to whether you should get a new tow vehicle. No offense to anyone here but that is not a question that I would put out for debate or suggestions. There are numerous tools on the Web to help make that decision. Going on how well a vehicle performed pulling someone's trailer is not something to gamble on.

https://rv.campingworld.com/towguide is a good place to start if that is what you decide to do.

As for the trailer upgrade, we just sold our 35" toyhauler after buying it new 11 years ago. We loved it, but setup and tear down started to become a real job. We are both 74 in good health, at the gym daily but we wanted something that was a little less work. We went with a slightly used 2018 Greyhawk MVP and are looking forward to continuing the adventures. Only you can make that decision. It is nice to get a little feedback but like buying the right truck, you need to decide.
CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:17 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycojay View Post
Good question ...... both are great trailers lines. It is quite a large sum of money to upgrade. I'm the last one who could tell you it doesn't make sense, i've owned quite a few Jaycos, and yes, i've spent that and more to upgrade or trade in.... to find the perfect trailer. Have we found it? Maybe, maybe not. Our newest, may not be as fancy as the White Hawk, even the Jayfeather, but it really is a nice trailer. The floor plan is what sold us. Not that long ago, we camped in a A-Frame, because we really only used it to sleep in. Now, we find, as we are starting to do more and more fall camping, when the temps drop after the sunsets, we might just be spending more time in the trailer. We traded in our Jayflight for another Jayflight SLX. Yes, the Jayflight has nicer things to it, but what it came down to, was floor plan, a floor plan we know we can grow old in.... thats the important thing. At the end of the day, no one can tell you its a good idea, or it isn't..... its up to you. You only live once, and you can't take it with you. Just don't listen to the..... your truck can't tow it thing, you know better than most if your certain truck will be able to tow it. Good luck, happy camping
Very well said.
Old 12-07-2019, 01:30 PM   #28

Stick with the true and tested, cabinets can be redone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
Chet & Marie,
Heres and angle to consider, you sell your trailer and spend $20k on a newer trailer because of the cabinets. The new trailer turns into a headache, or nightmare, of issues, but it does have nice cabinets. Suddenly you wish you'd never sold the ole problem free trailer.
I'd spend a little of the $20k and upgrade the cabinets in your existing trailer, and whatever is leftover spend it on something else that you guys will enjoy, like fuel in the truck for more camping trips.
I agree, from the number of posts on several groups I belong to, it seems the quality of the new RV's has declined significantly. If your present TT has no leaks and everything works good, I wouldn't gamble on getting one that is as good. Yes you can turn around and sell the new one but you will take a big hit financially, especially if it has problems.
Old 12-07-2019, 01:53 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
My 5.3 in the tow mode runs at 2,000 RPM at 60 mph. It has the tow package but I do not recall which rear end it has. It is a 2014 twd.
Chet & Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 02:19 PM   #30

We went through a similar analysis last year. The thinking was why not upgrade our 23 RB? Frankly I had trailer-envy from our good friends new trailer. Then we took an extended trip down to the tip of Baja and our little road warrior was a Rock Star! We made a few upgrades, and decided to stay loyal to our wonderful 23RB for now. But I sure would love to have a rear living area!!
marciaandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 02:20 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
Chet & Marie,
Heres and angle to consider, you sell your trailer and spend $20k on a newer trailer because of the cabinets. The new trailer turns into a headache, or nightmare, of issues, but it does have nice cabinets. Suddenly you wish you'd never sold the ole problem free trailer.
I'd spend a little of the $20k and upgrade the cabinets in your existing trailer, and whatever is leftover spend it on something else that you guys will enjoy, like fuel in the truck for more camping trips.
It's similar to those "extended warranty's". Spend the money on your current trailers upgrades. As for truck, my 2011 Silverado 1500 5.3 with the 6 speed transmission is rated to tow "up to" 9200lbs. Just keep the tanks near empty (lunch and a flush or three). All good
Johnnymailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 03:55 PM   #32

Chet, You should go and get it. You only live once.....Enjoy Sir!
Old 12-07-2019, 04:29 PM   #33

Save a bundle and keep enjoying what you already know is dependable.
New cabinets, peel and stick tile back splash in the bath and kitchen, new upgraded faucets, new flooring, new 12V compressor fridge with inverter, flexsteel furniture.
It will feel like a whole new RV and will be far less trouble than a new one.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 04:48 PM   #34

Totally agree. Great advice!
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 05:50 PM   #35

Upgraded to a 2019 Whitehawk 24MBH from a x17z and it is heaven in comparison.
Everything from the fireplace to the solid wood cabinetry, nice size bathroom and corian counters were some of the selling features for us. Glad we made the switch.
Towing with a 2018 GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab 5.3l 4WD with tow package.
I can run 65mph @1800-1900 rpms. Not sure about being underpowered or having to run it at 4k rpms. It runs great, has lots of power and easily pulls the 5500lbs trailer and cargo.
Stever71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 07:54 PM   #36
Say

I don’t think you should feel guilty buying a new TT. For me however, if I had a 2 year old TT that I really liked, I’d do upgrades to that. I all ready know the reliability of existing unit.
Say is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:48 PM   #37

I am 76 and we purchased a Jayflight 212QB earlier this year and find it more than adequate for our needs. Finished our first trip, just over 5K, in Oct way out west. We love to explore and are history buffs so we use the unit usually for breakfast and for sleeping. Our tow vehicle is a 2019 RAM 1500 classic V6 with the tow package and does a great job maintaining 62 MPH running around 2600 RPM.
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 01:01 AM   #38

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice1951 View Post
Chet & Marie, you seem to be satisfied with your current TT. If you’ve read the rants on this forum you know there are a lot of unhappy buyers of new RV’s out there. If you’re looking at a new Whitehawk of similar size and floor plan then it’s not clear to me what you’re gaining other than a newer model. You could spend that money and end up with a headache, trips to the dealer for warranty work or doing a lot of the minor repairs yourself. Or you could get lucky and end up with a trouble free rig and get what you paid for. It’s kind of a crapshoot.
If you really want to spend an additional $20k then as previously mentioned put it into some upgrades, or perhaps put it towards a new tow vehicle. You are already happy with what you have and there are a lot of people in this world that never arrive at that point.
I get it that many people have limited funds and purchase what are considered “entry level RV’s” and then upgrade when they can afford it. I’ve been there myself. But it always amazes me when I read some of these forum posts and see people spending $150K+ every few years so they can have the newest or latest and greatest. And there is always something wrong with these expensive rigs, too. It’s not unique to TT’s and 5’ers. MH’s have their issues, also. Just look at the Class C and Class A forums here and if you go over to Tiffin, Newmar, Entegra, Winnebago and other brand forums you’ll see just as many problems there.
You are in a unique situation. You are happy with your setup and you have some discretionary funds available. IMHO spend it where you think it will keep you in your comfort zone. Good luck.
Best advice to original poster I have read yet!
Wm.Ince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:18 AM   #39

I agree with one person here. Upgrade the cabinets and if the TT can handle it? Upgrade what does not work or you don't like. I am planning on traveling in 4 years and love the TT I am in now. Husband does not like the idea of FT camping on the road so I am looking at workamping while retired and let him stay home to do whatever. I am doing a few changes on the TT I have now to have it ready in 5 years when I hook up and go. I got the tow vehicle, I have the TT and next summer plan to add shelving units to make it all work. Camping World is fixing a lot of problems I found last summer on the road 3 weeks next April. So if you love the TT you have now? Make a list of what you love about the other trailer and upgrade the TT you have now. Then either do the work yourself or find a place to do it for you. Remember to measure twice. Just a thought.

Happy trails.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 03:05 PM   #40

With the risk of possible quality issues and the likely aggravation getting them corrected I'd think hard about it.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote