Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-20-2019, 06:53 PM   #1

Aerospace 303 or wax?

Last year I purchased some 303 with UV protection and applied to the front fiberglass cap on my 7 year old Eagle and was impressed by how it well it made the old decals look so much nicer. My thought this spring was to wash the trailer and apply 303 to the entire rig but the application doesn't seem to last very long before having to do it again. The instructions on the 303 is to spray it on and wipe it dry. I was wondering if you could apply a good spray wax on top of the 303 or would the wax render the 303 ineffective.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:07 PM   #2

Never tried it but wax may not adhere.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
Last year I purchased some 303 with UV protection and applied to the front fiberglass cap on my 7 year old Eagle and was impressed by how it well it made the old decals look so much nicer. My thought this spring was to wash the trailer and apply 303 to the entire rig but the application doesn't seem to last very long before having to do it again. The instructions on the 303 is to spray it on and wipe it dry. I was wondering if you could apply a good spray wax on top of the 303 or would the wax render the 303 ineffective.
I want to add a category to this thread. . . .
I was just about to post a question about the new ceramics. I used 303 on one of my trailers. Those were vinyl stickers. Not sure about my new Jayco stickers, vinyl or not? It did make them appear better for a short period of time. The downfall of 303 is, it is supposed to be reapplied every 30-45 days. It is a quality UV protectant, but the repeated re-application isn't fun.

I am wondering if the ceramics are fine for gel coat/paint/stickers or whatever else is on my Jayco? Ceramics are advertised as lasting more like 6 months.

Edit: I assumed (hate to) we are talking about the same 303 Marine Protectant . . . .
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:27 PM   #4

Have you looked into a ceramic coating? They last much longer. I’ve been using Meguiars Hybrid ceramic wax. It’s not really a “true” ceramic coating but it’s easy to apply and seems to last at least 3 months (I’m still testing it). If you want a better SiO2 spray coating, look at DPC (Dallas Paint Correction) Armor. It’ll last about a year.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:45 PM   #5

Mother's just came out with CMX, a ceramic spray coating. Supposed to be very durable.

I have used it on a couple of my vehicles and it was very easy to apply and nice shine. I plan on using it on my front cap and see how well it works.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle Tim View Post
Mother's just came out with CMX, a ceramic spray coating. Supposed to be very durable.

I have used it on a couple of my vehicles and it was very easy to apply and nice shine. I plan on using it on my front cap and see how well it works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
Have you looked into a ceramic coating? They last much longer. I’ve been using Meguiars Hybrid ceramic wax. It’s not really a “true” ceramic coating but it’s easy to apply and seems to last at least 3 months (I’m still testing it). If you want a better SiO2 spray coating, look at DPC (Dallas Paint Correction) Armor. It’ll last about a year.
Do either of these say they are OK for use on stickers?
Old 03-20-2019, 10:00 PM   #7

The Mother's CMX does not have any reference to stickers. I'm not too worried since it's water based. Petroleum based products can discolor stickers.

Initial reviews of this product are good, but it's very new, just hit the market. Mother's claims that they have a test car that the coating has lasted almost a year so far. I'd be happy with 6 months!
Old 03-20-2019, 10:03 PM   #8

I have been using poly wax for quite a while, and it would last about 3 months. I usually do the front cap at least 4 times a year to make bug cleaning easier.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:05 PM   #9

Thanks, I agree six months would work for me The automotive ceramics come in the tiniest bottles, but say you barely need any to cover property.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:11 PM   #10

CMX comes in a 24oz bottle. Goes a long ways, just use a light coating. And you can stack it (multiple coats) for longer lasting results.

Here's a link to the product:

http://www.mothers.com/02_products/01024.html
Old 03-21-2019, 05:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
Yeah Tom I read a few threads where you have used the Meguiars. Do you really just spray it on and hose it off? What surface prep did you do before you applied. I'd hate to claybar a 36ft trailer but I would if this stuff lasts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle Tim View Post

Tim, I use Mothers products on my F-250 and like them. I haven't researched the new Mothers ceramic. Is it applied the same way as the Meguiars?
Old 03-21-2019, 06:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
Yeah Tom I read a few threads where you have used the Meguiars. Do you really just spray it on and hose it off? What surface prep did you do before you applied. I'd hate to claybar a 36ft trailer but I would if this stuff lasts.

Tim, I use Mothers products on my F-250 and like them. I haven't researched the new Mothers ceramic. Is it applied the same way as the Meguiars?

The first application is spray on and wipe off to apply a foundation layer. Subsequent applications are indeed spray on hose off. The only surface prep I did was on the front cap where I used Mother’s speed clay 2.0 with my wash soap to get rid of any bug remnants.

The Mothers CMX is spray on wipe off only.

Old 03-21-2019, 06:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
Do either of these say they are OK for use on stickers?

I don’t remember reading the label saying specifically ok for stickers but it is ok for paint, vinyl, glass, rubber, plastics, etc.
So basically all automotive exterior surfaces.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:37 AM   #14

I have not picked-up my TT yet, so I don't know about waxing it, but I do wax a fiberglass boat every year.

1. Wash with Spray 9
2. 303 the whole thing
3. Use collinite fiberglass cleaner
4. Use collinite fleetwax, which also cleans OR use Rejex polymer coating.

I've been doing this for the last 12 seasons with this boat, and did it on others since 1989. Though I only started with the Rejex 4 years ago.

Collinite also makes a metal wax, and it's good stuff too.
O'Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:10 PM   #15

I had a 2004 Keystone that was fiberglass, traded it in 2017, used 303 the whole time! Looked new! regular way is not a good sealant for the fiberglass sides!
Garyhjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:41 PM   #16

Nu Finish

Just wondered if anyone has ever used Nu Finish, it's a once a year car polish that can be used on Fiberglass boats, RV's and airplanes. I have been using this on my car for years and it truly does last a year or more. I have a Hummingbird that is mostly fiberglass. I was considering using it on the TT. Any experience with this stuff?

George in Michigan
Jayco Hummingbird
2017 Pacifica
sinnott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 05:05 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnott4 View Post
Just wondered if anyone has ever used Nu Finish, it's a once a year car polish that can be used on Fiberglass boats, RV's and airplanes. I have been using this on my car for years and it truly does last a year or more. I have a Hummingbird that is mostly fiberglass. I was considering using it on the TT. Any experience with this stuff?

George in Michigan
Jayco Hummingbird
2017 Pacifica
George, I don't see why the NuFinish wouldn't work on the camper. I've used it in the past on my vehicles with good results. If the weather ever cooperates so I can wash my camper, I'm going to apply this product to the finish and see how it goes. https://psdetailproducts.com/i-23875...rotectant.html
Old 03-28-2019, 05:37 AM   #18

I had a "Lifetime" protectant applied when I bought the camper, but I now think it was a rip-off, the water never did bubble up on the finish like it does with Nu Finish, so I am going to use the Nu Finish as soon as this Michigan weather get better.
sinnott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:47 AM   #19

I researched this same question earlier (RV and marine forums, and The Google) and came to the conclusion that I would 303 the decals, then wax everything (including over the decals) with either Nu Finish or a marine wax.
Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:29 AM   #20

I wax mine twice a year in the spring and fall. I just use a spray wax on my tin sides. I use a wash and wax in between. This combo seems to work good for me. Keeps the black streaks easy to get off. Murphy’s soap on the roof.
Treatcg is offline   Reply With Quote