Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-18-2017, 09:35 AM   #1

Airstream Dreams

We've been dreaming about Airstreams of late. We really like the 30 Classic, 27FB, and 30J. It is possible for us to save for one. It would have to be our retirement purchase, and it would limit or eliminate a few other areas of retirement activity. But it may be worth it. The good news is we have time. We are saving for "something," either a single big purchase like an Airstream or a "package plan" that would include a less expensive RV with more travel and adventure budget. Both would be great.

Equalizer 10K
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:42 AM   #2

Saw a 27 ft airstream on rv trader in colorado. $9500 a lot heavier than current models but pics looked nice

Dometic Milenco Aero mirrors
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:48 AM   #3

A lightly used unit would be more doable for us. My uncle found a beautiful 27' that had been used three times and kept in a barn for three years. An older Air Force officer bought it with every feature available. He and his wife decided that they wanted a big bus/Class A. So they stored the Airstream. They are out there for sure.

I will say that it looks like Thor is doing not messing up the formula with the Airstream division. The 2018s are absolutely spectacular! You make concessions with space, but the quality of materials and craftsmanship is worth to me, if you have the wallet. It's said that they spend 8 hours just on the entry door.
Equalizer 10K
Old 11-18-2017, 09:51 AM   #4

Having owned one, I can honestly say that I am cured of the Airstream dream. Ours was a used 31' Excella. We dealt with rear floor rot, popped/missing rivets, and leaks that we could not stop.

Thinking that the issues that we had were due to buying used, we actually considered a new one a couple of years ago. We were standing in a brand new 2015 FB Flying Cloud at the former Airstream of Western PA watching water run in between a seam in the skin above the sink. That was enough for us.

Are they nice.....Absolutely. Are they worth the money....questionable. Are they free of the troubles of the average RV.......absolutely not.

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Having owned one, I can honestly say that I am cured of the Airstream dream. Ours was a used 31' Excella. We dealt with rear floor rot, popped/missing rivets, and leaks that we could not stop.

Thinking that the issues that we had were due to buying used, we actually considered a new one a couple of years ago. We were standing in a brand new 2015 FB Flying Cloud at the former Airstream of Western PA watching water run in between a seam in the skin above the sink. That was enough for us.

Are they nice.....Absolutely. Are they worth the money....questionable. Are they free of the troubles of the average RV.......absolutely not.
Huh . . . What? I've been asleep?
I was in the most incredible trailer. it was all shiny and sleek. And then the sky went black, and the ground began to shake - A massive crater opened up and swallowed the glistening trailer. i stood alone atop the crater. I watched as the last bit of sparkle succumbed to the deep earth.

What's for breakfast? Thought we go look at Jaycos today!

Equalizer 10K
Old 11-18-2017, 10:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatherFam View Post
Huh . . . What? I've been asleep. I was in the most incredible trailer. it was all shiny and sleek. And then the sky went black, and the ground began to shake - A massive crater opened up and swallowed the glistening trailer. i stood alone atop the crater. I watched as the last bit of sparkle succumbed to the deep earth.

I had a Scrapple sandwich with cheese and mayo.

Seriously, I'm sorry to be the downer in the conversation. But they are not what the image makes them out to be.

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatherFam View Post
Huh . . . What? I've been asleep. I was in the most incredible trailer. it was all shiny and sleek. And then the sky went black, and the ground began to shake - A massive crater opened up and swallowed the glistening trailer. i stood alone atop the crater. I watched as the last bit of sparkle succumbed to the deep earth.

I love that response!! Not sure I understand it completely but I love it. Well done!
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:27 AM   #8

You guys are awesome!
Equalizer 10K
Old 11-18-2017, 10:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
I had a Scrapple sandwich with cheese and mayo.

Seriously, I'm sorry to be the downer in the conversation. But they are not what the image makes them out to be.
Not at all, I appreciate your experience. We would have to score a great deal to even consider it. We love all trailers!
Equalizer 10K
Old 11-18-2017, 11:26 AM   #10

To Airstream or Not to Airstream

We bought a new 2010 Airstream intíl Serenity 23D and used it a fair amount for two years. So we know plenty about the limitations of Airstreams. By and large they are mostly image. A cult. But in campgrounds they definitely attract a great deal more attention than our Precept does. Quite the conversation starter. Even HERE!

chasfenwick is offline   Reply With Quote