Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-02-2015, 08:02 PM   #41

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
When you guys where crossing the border into Canada we could have made you some coffee. Highway 93 from Lake Louise to Jasper is bad for many years. Winters are very hard on those mountain roads. During the winter season there is hardly any traffic and there is hardly any service available on the 200 km stretch. Roadmaps on the windshield in Canada is pretty normal. On the gravel roads to Alaska hope you have good luck with your tires best to cay a few spares as service get far in between and expensive. Have a good journey on and thanks for sharing your trip experiences.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:09 PM   #42

Another 590 miles today. We're in Whitehorse Yukon Terriority. Washed truck and camper This AM, 30 min. Within 1 hour dirty again..but not to bad. Can't stand starting out dirty. Will clean up tomorrow when we get where ever we go to. Thinking about shooting down towards Palmer, Copper River area for some ATV fun and fishing. Need to be in Denali by the 10th for some reserved tours so plenty of time to explore.
So far so good. Only tire issue is one wearing on the outside edge but I didn't notice any change to it today. Pretty sure from my old tire selling days it's because of a balance issue. I'll put a new one in Alaska somewhere.
The Alcan is no worse than Lousiana or Missippippi roads. A few smal gravel areas where you slow down but not bad. They have all the rough bumps marked with road side markers so you can sorta drive around them. I think the winter was pretty easy on the roads. Not much traffic. Run between 63-69 staying with 18 wheelers....they will hit the animals before me I hope.
Saw lots more bear, caribou, bison etc. beautiful lakes. This end of the Alcan seems to be extra dry. They need some rain. Bears are so fat and black and shinny though, as well as all the animals.
The exchange rate is really good for Americans now. Perfect time to travel. Diesel runs about $3.50 to $4.00 a gallon so not bad.
No chips or any damage to camper. The rock that hit the windshield came off a oil rig truck so could have happened in Texas. No chips or anything to truck so far. It's 9 PM here and 11 pm in Texas. Sun still shinning at 11pm...and up again around 3am. Windows blacked out in bedroom so no problem. We've adjusted to the traveling So no longer sore from riding. Was real anxious at first being away from home for so long but we're adjusting to it. Adios until tomorrow.
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:22 PM   #43

We're headed OUT from Anchorage tomorrow going the other way. Some things to note - watch out for Frost Heaves between border and probably for a 100 miles or so AFTER Tok.
Haven't seen too many reports yet about how bad they are, but they are ALWAYS bad and sometimes not obvious. After you hit the first one unannounced you'll understand.

Some great ATV trail riding right off the highway at about Mile 132 on the Glenn Highway (Southwest of Glennallen). Nearly to Eureka Lodge (great pies) which is Mile 127. You can go back for miles and miles, don't get lost. I hope you ride 2 machines not 1?
Have fun!
SSBN608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:43 PM   #44

be safe have fun
bailee21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:30 PM   #45

We left Whitehorse about 8:30 Am arrived in Tok at 4:30. Time change so 9 hours driving. Saw a big grisly just walking down the road. Roads between here and there the real Alcan experience. Roller coaster and rough.
Only 400 miles but wore us out. Many delays.
Really nice RV park here. Tok RV village. Need to get in early or they full up.
Fast Eddies food next door OK.
Headed to copper River area tomorrow towards Glenhellin. That might not be spelled right.
Until tomorrow.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:51 PM   #46

Sounds like it's going great for you!

2015 F350 XLT SRW 6.7 Powerstroke 4x4
Reese Elite 18k
2015 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
Ont Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 03:15 PM   #47

Well...we left Tok yesterday and came to where we are now. CopperRiver. Found nice campground here, elect only but with dump station. We're looking at the Klutina River out the ft door.
No phone ..no wifi unless at main store and then sketchy. I'm here now with full wifi until it blows away. Salmon starting to run so we're staying here four nights.
Will head to anchorage Monday for supplies etc and some 4 wheeling.
I'm posting pics of where we're at and what out dock at home looks like now. It started to float after almost 4 years the day we left. It will be even higher when we get back. Up almost 50 ft.

Old 06-05-2015, 03:25 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ustabslim View Post
.no wifi unless at main store and then sketchy.
hows the dish/tailgater holding up?
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 04:41 PM   #49

Copper River Salmon is running about $18.00 a pound right now in Bellingham so eat up and some for your trip. Can you believe how red they are.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:34 PM   #50

How your tires holding up? Had a friend go last year in his Airstream and had to replace 2 of them due to the sharp rocks in the road.

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 12:06 AM   #51

We have two reds in the ref now. I now know why there called reds... Yes RED fat fish filets. Some are totally silver outside and a few are showing a little red on the bellies. 19 more miles from here for them to swim. Whole camp having pot luck dinner sat evening. Around 100 here im guessing. Going to be fun.
Tires are still ok but I'm putting new ones on in Anchorage at Johnson tire Monday. They have about 8-9000 miles and couple showing it. Road rocks are small. Less than dime size so no problem.
Tailgater only works when you have clear elevated view to south. The dishes actually point down looking for the satellites. The house dishes are twice as big as back home. Haven't missed TV one bit.
Spawn really starting to hit.
These fish don't bite.. You actually snag them. They don't eat after leaving salt water. They see/feel the line and it's a annoyance to them .. In the way, so they pick up the line to get it out of the way and the line slides thru their mouth and they get snagged.
Color lure don't matter... Law says has to look like fly for some reason. Guys gave me some homemade jigs with 4 strands 1/2 inch long string.. Makes it legal. Throw it out about 5-10 ft pull it in slowly and snag them. Repeat. That's it.
Cooked some for supper...wow. Totally different taste ... 10 times better than store bought. Less than 1 hour from water to pan or grill.
Going 4 wheeling tomorrow with a bunch that showed up here. 44 mile round trip thru native tribe land to Klutina lake. Have to donate $5 in a box beside trail.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:43 AM   #52

We went trail riding yesterday, 60 mile round trip. Across glaciers. Awesome. Last day here on the Kultina River.
Forgot to mention the other day but the road was so rough from Tok to here that when we opened the closet all our hanging cloths were in the floor.
More fishing today then Anchorage tomorrow.
Due in Denli Nat Park on Wednesday.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:56 AM   #53

Welcome

Welcome, I hope you are enjoying Alaska. You probably already said it, but what are all the locations you are planning on hitting while here?
(I live in Eagle River, AK, BTW)
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:38 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGun40 View Post
Welcome, I hope you are enjoying Alaska. You probably already said it, but what are all the locations you are planning on hitting while here?
(I live in Eagle River, AK, BTW)
We are headed to Eagle River state park tomorrow for a couple nights. Need to take trailer in for new tires. Any recommendations??
Then we have reservations at Deneli starting Wednesday for 6 nights total.
Doing over night train trip to Anchorage , bus tour etc., ATV tours , then back to Eagle River on the 16th for another train trip to Seward and back, then Looking for places to explore on ATV.
Back to Copper Center on the 21st for a few days then head home around the 24th.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:15 AM   #55

Recommendations for Tires. There is a Alaska Tire right in Eagle River 907-622-6288 who do great work and have good prices. Also, there is American Tire 907-336-7878 on Old Seward in Anchorage who will price match and are good to go as well. Johnson Tire has decent prices but in my opinion they take to many short cuts. I have dealt with all three and I have not been impressed with Johnson.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:23 AM   #56

A nice place to camp and explore on ATV is Eklutna Lake, going back to the Eklutna Glacier. It is a very easy ride with a 3 mile hike at the end of the road to the glacier (you would have to cross the river and get wet though), along the way is serenity falls. Eklutna has restrictions on ATV riding though (Sunday through Wednesdays only, No ATV riding Thursday Friday or Saturdays) I do not know the skill level of ATV driving you are looking for. If you are very skilled and willing to look around and cross a few streams, ask locals around for direction to the Jim Creek recreation area and pick up the trail to Knik glacier. If you go on weekends there should be plenty of people to show the way or follow. Otherwise, on the way back towards Copper River Center, you pass by Eureka Lodge. Just past that is a large parking area and lots of ATV trails and fun to be had there.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:20 PM   #57

Quote:
Recommendations for Tires. There is a Alaska Tire right in Eagle River 907-622-6288 who do great work and have good prices. Also, there is American Tire 907-336-7878 on Old Seward in Anchorage who will price match and are good to go as well. Johnson Tire has decent prices but in my opinion they take to many short cuts. I have dealt with all three and I have not been impressed with Johnson.
Thanks, I'll call asap in the Am.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:21 PM   #58

Quote:
A nice place to camp and explore on ATV is Eklutna Lake, going back to the Eklutna Glacier. It is a very easy ride with a 3 mile hike at the end of the road to the glacier (you would have to cross the river and get wet though), along the way is serenity falls. Eklutna has restrictions on ATV riding though (Sunday through Wednesdays only, No ATV riding Thursday Friday or Saturdays) I do not know the skill level of ATV driving you are looking for. If you are very skilled and willing to look around and cross a few streams, ask locals around for direction to the Jim Creek recreation area and pick up the trail to Knik glacier. If you go on weekends there should be plenty of people to show the way or follow. Otherwise, on the way back towards Copper River Center, you pass by Eureka Lodge. Just past that is a large parking area and lots of ATV trails and fun to be had there.
Thanks
Old 06-07-2015, 12:52 PM   #59

We got rid of our travel trailer and purchased the Greyhawk to go to Alaska. We thought it would be easier setting up frequently during the trip to have a motorhome. So far, that has proven to be true. We had to postpone our Alaska trip til next year but I can't wait. We plan to go up through Seattle and back through Banff. We have family in Soldotna so will probably base camp there. Thanks for the info on the Fairmont Hot Spring Resort. Would love to hear more of your adventure.
AlStevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 12:59 PM   #60

I'm not sure if it is still the case, but it used to be against the law to keep salmon that you "snag". I have fished there before (on the Funny River) and a warden came around looking at all our fish to ensure they were not snagged. Just sayin...
AlStevie is offline   Reply With Quote