Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-02-2015, 12:28 PM   #1

Alaska trip recommendations.

It's been about 26 years since our last trip to Alaska. Planning on heading out June 1 for the month.
I'm sure things have changed. I'm not taking my Jayco....but a forest river 27 ft Toyhauler....so we can stay where we can't in the Jayco and General easier and better MPG towing.
I need any and all suggestions and info and Do those electronic mosquito things work?
Thanks in advance.
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 01:13 PM   #2

Maybe if they are 220! I saw what I at first thought were small birds.......till they bit me.

Please post some pic's. Beautiful state, as you know.
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 04:47 PM   #3

When you go, please keep us updated. We're looking forward to our repeat trip to Alaska. Unfortunately, it's way 'out there' in the future. Fortunately, now the Highway is paved so it will be a whole lot less dusty and muddy than our first trip.

I wish I knew where, but I saw somewhere that the ThermaCELL product was tested and it worked as well or better than DEET. Wish I had more, but the info is probably out there if you search for it.

My wife has a problem with reactions to mosquito, black fly, and no-see-um bites. She uses a product called - and I'm not making this up - Iguana Oil. It smells like patchouli oil, but has many additional ingredients. It is said to be safe for kids 6mo and older. A stronger version is frequently used as a fly repellant for horses.

For my wife it is also a better anti-itch than OTC cortisone topical (Cortisone-10 etc.), but I don't believe it is marketed as an anti-itch product.

Iguana Oil is available on Amazon, although I believe my wife has purchased it directly from the person that makes it in Jupiter, FL. The whole story is on the internet at iguanaoil.com

We are not connected with the company in anyway... other than satisfied customers.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote