Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-31-2011, 09:49 AM   #11

Jeannie, perhaps I have scored again.

Ernie, paying for your fuel or part of it would be the right thing for them to do. I would not hold my breath untill they develop a conscience and do it.

clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:56 AM   #12

Small claims? Pretty weak case. Claim for what? You could have lived across the street or a thousand miles away. You chose the dealer; it's not his doing that you don't live down the block. Getting a judgment for two failures plus one success isn't likely. Jumping into a lawsuit at every perceived grievance or inconvenience costs this country billions every year. This is not to stick up for the dealer. Word of mouth is great advertising if positive - and terrible if negative. Don't mean to scold, but I spent almost fifty years in the lawsuit business, and if I only got paid for the worthwhile ones, my family would have lived under a bridge!

cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk+ View Post
Small claims? Pretty weak case. Claim for what? You could have lived across the street or a thousand miles away. You chose the dealer; it's not his doing that you don't live down the block. Getting a judgment for two failures plus one success isn't likely. Jumping into a lawsuit at every perceived grievance or inconvenience costs this country billions every year. This is not to stick up for the dealer. Word of mouth is great advertising if positive - and terrible if negative. Don't mean to scold, but I spent almost fifty years in the lawsuit business, and if I only got paid for the worthwhile ones, my family would have lived under a bridge!
I agree about small claims in that it's not likely to be cost effective, depending on CA law, and said so in my post. However, I disagree that the OP shouldn't be intitled to recovering expenses for the dealer's incompetence. If the dealer had known what they were doing, the repair would have been done correctly the first time, not the third time, and the OP would not have been out the additional transportation expenses (fuel, time, wear and tear on the RV, etc.). Since Jayco has a limited number of dealers and normally will not honor warranties at any dealer closer than their own, the OP didn't really have any choice but to drive so far for a warranty repair. Jayco has also been known to refuse to sell parts to non-Jayco repair facilities for non-warranty work.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:29 PM   #14
Site Team

I actually expressed my displeasure to the dealer that Ernie and I bought from. I can tell you, he has no interest in providing any kind of discount to help out if his tech's don't accomplish the warranty task the first time (wasn't aware that was an issue when I recommended dealer to Ernie as up til then we were being accomodated....). We didn't push it but chalked it up to a nice week-two week trip out of going down to dealer (we have a Thousand Trails campground close to there that is pretty nice) each of the three times we had to go down there. But like I mentioned above, contacting Jayco to get a "local" shop to do warranty work is far less expensive and often provides an expert rather than a tech
-2016 Ford F-250 XLT 4x2, 6.2L EFI V8, 4.30 Elec Lock, Heavy duty Alt
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk+ View Post

Thanks for all the advice. But I don't want to sue anyboby. I guess I will chock up the $90 as a lesson learned & will never recommend the dealer to anybody again. And yes I chose the dealership but I shouldn't have to go back 3 times for the same repair no matter how close or far away the dealer is.
Reese straight line dual cam
17k wd hitch
2005 GMC diesel
Crew cab long bed
:Flag:
bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I agree about small claims in that it's not likely to be cost effective, depending on CA law, and said so in my post. However, I disagree that the OP shouldn't be intitled to recovering expenses for the dealer's incompetence. If the dealer had known what they were doing, the repair would have been done correctly the first time, not the third time, and the OP would not have been out the additional transportation expenses (fuel, time, wear and tear on the RV, etc.). Since Jayco has a limited number of dealers and normally will not honor warranties at any dealer closer than their own, the OP didn't really have any choice but to drive so far for a warranty repair. Jayco has also been known to refuse to sell parts to non-Jayco repair facilities for non-warranty work.
Thanks Jeannie well said.
Reese straight line dual cam
17k wd hitch
2005 GMC diesel
Crew cab long bed
:Flag:
bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:55 PM   #17

I'd feel the same as you, Bounder. But the reality is that, well, that's tough. Was a time I'd have gone in and done a rant at the dealership, but life's way, way too short. And in case I come across as soft on the dealer, it occurs to me that if Michael Vick had pitted lawyers against auto/RV/boat dealers, he'd have become a national hero instead of a rat.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:35 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounder View Post
Thanks Jeannie well said.
I still recommend filing a complaint with the BBB. Even if there is no resolution, it will go against the dealers BBB rating, showing up as an unresolved complaint (which is an easy way to let people know the dealer is less than stellar). Make absolutely sure you stay in touch with the BBB during the entire process because the dealer will try to claim resolution.