Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-05-2014, 08:05 AM   #1

Am I CRAZY???

So I have had the itch for a little while now to get a camper with a slide out. Now that we have found out its not just going to be the wife and I anymore sometime around November 1st , it really made me want something bigger.
The wife and I are pretty big Dave Ramsey fans, so something we can pay cash for was a must. After doing a little CL shopping and figuring what our 242FK is worth, I found one with a slide and bunks in our price range. Although it is 2 years older than the 242. We are hoping that once our 242 sells, the differance in price will only be about $500 to a $1000 for the slide out.
We have put a deposit (since the bank wasn't open on sunday to make a complete withdraw) on a 1997 Jayco Eagle 314BHS. Are we crazy for moving backward in years and overall condition? The 314 is a nice camper and appears to be decently taken care of (needs a good interior cleaning) and has some minor exterior blemishes. I couldn't find any soft spots in the interior, but did see that there is a bit of a soft exterior wall where the tub is in the very rear of the camper.
The other thing I wonder is, I am going to be right at the top (if not a little over once loaded) of the max weight my Tahoe is rated for. Being an ASE mechanic, A few hundred pounds over doesn't bother me, but I am CRAZY for thinking that way?
Last, is it crazy to think that I can get somewhere in the area of $5k for the 242. NADA base average retail says $5080, but it seems that most everything I have found compareable is listed for 1 to 2 thousand more than that.
Sorry for the long post and thanks for ANY feedback! Dave

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:31 AM   #2

We just sold our old camper to upgrade it was a 1998 two owner, used very little before we bought it, garage kept, looked new on the inside and out, new tires, every thing worked perfect for 3k more than nada had it listed. Its hard to compare apples to apples on trailers but list it as what you feel is a good price and let the buyer decide if its a good deal or not. If it looks well used than I would not pay full retail on it.
TST 507 flow thru

Livinglife2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:39 AM   #3

Ya know, you will probably get as many opinions as there are members here on the site. So I guess here is mine.. It has taken me a long time to figure out that my best bet is to buy the best I can afford. Every time I buy a tool at Harbor Freight to save a few bucks I end up frustrated, not happy, bad end results with my projects, etc.. Only to end up a few months/years later going and getting the "Better" tool. All I did was waste my time, money and frustration. When we started searching for our first TT, we looked at several older models, we were just about to "settle" on one that would have kinda worked for us. But while we were at the dealers lot we found the exact unit we were looking for. Did it cost us a few extra bucks.. Yea... Are we happy with it. YES.. I did have to extend the payments out a few extra years, but those years will be filled with fun, happy camping trips, not aww poop... This broke, that broke, etc...

All that being said.. If you feel happy about the TT you are looking to buy, age, condition non-withstanding then go for it.. If there is that little nagging thing in the back of your head saying no.. Then wait.. Another one will come along..

Oh, and If I read your post correctly.. Early congratulations on the new addition coming in November.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:42 AM   #4

Congrats on the new Family addition.

For me I would have sold the old TT before buying the next unit so that I knew my budget before hand. As far as moving back in age goes, it depends on the unit and its condition. Good Luck!

2013 F150 EXL Screw 5.0 4x4 3:55 locking ( not towing the above trailer with this truck)

Spending my children's inheritances on my toys!
sask934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:53 AM   #5

I too am a Dave Ramsey follower. I certainly understand the financial requirements of your plan. I assume, as a Ramsey follower, you wouldn't be even considering this if you aren't already debt free---if that isn't the case you know what Dave would say.

If this was me I would...
1) not buy a different TT until the current one is sold. That way you know for certain how much you will be getting out of it
2) unless I knew the amount of work required by the new one I wouldn't buy it. The soft wall concerns me and I think it could be problematic. What about the tires, will it need knew ones.
3) the new baby will be a big life change, I would probably be stocking a way cash for that right now and not be focused on the TT quite yet.

The age of both your TT and what you are looking to buy are at a point that a another 6-12 months should have much affect of values. I would probably hold off.

Best of luck and congratulations.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowtoy View Post
Now that we have found out its not just going to be the wife and I anymore sometime around November 1st , it really made me want something bigger.
The wife and I have 4 kids and bought our first trailer 4 years ago (1994 Jayco J-Series 3250FK). That trailer had NO slideouts, but was fairly long, and it served us very very well for 3+ summers. Eventuallly the kiddo's started getting a little bigger (as they tend to do) and we had kids sleeping everywhere (couch, dinette table, fold-out chair matress on the floor). It was kind of a PITA getting up and putting everything away each morning just so we could get breakfast and we knew a different floorplan was in our future.

Last summer we decided to "upgrade" to a slideout bunkhouse - now the munchkins have their own space and we get our living room / kitchen back. Looking back, I think we utilized the old-school trailer (translation = no-slideout) as long as it feasibly would work for our family, but we definitely got our use out it.

My advice would be to keep the "no-slide" trailer as long as you can (it's paid for and that goes a long long way). Then you can upgrade down the road when the little one grows a bit more and you actually need the additional space. Don't be concerned about missing out on the unit you're looking at right now -- there are ALWAYS plenty of slightly used bunkhouse trailers out there on the used market (family's grow and kids leave).

Best of luck making the right choice and let us know what you finally decide.
Honda EU3000is
DW, DD x 2 (10 y/o twins), DS x 2 (8 & 6 y/o), and "Oscar" the Weiner Dog
rtbreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
I too am a Dave Ramsey follower. I certainly understand the financial requirements of your plan. I assume, as a Ramsey follower, you wouldn't be even considering this if you aren't already debt free---if that isn't the case you know what Dave would say.
That's where I struggle. We are working on steps 5 and 6 now. It took a little convincing to the wife that now is the time to make this purchase. I see it as we have the opertunity to make a decent profit on the 242 if we can really sell it for what NADA says its worth. We bought it low and the market seems to have gone up over the few years we have owned it. My fear is that the used market is going to start heading the other way and in a year or two, it may only be worth what we paid for it again. I am a salesman at heart and wheel and deal alot, so it just seems right to me, seeing a potential for an upgrade with minamal cash spent. All that being said, she is on board now. Bet you can't tell who is the free spirit in our relationship

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:27 PM   #8

Another Dave Ramsey fan here working on 7 for one more year and doing better than I deserve.

Remember it's a plan you make, not a master. So you have to evaluate the impact and it can be fun to have a passion from something and then make it happen within the boundaries of your overall plan.......Good luck.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowtoy View Post
That's where I struggle. We are working on steps 5 and 6 now. It took a little convincing to the wife that now is the time to make this purchase. I see it as we have the opertunity to make a decent profit on the 242 if we can really sell it for what NADA says its worth. We bought it low and the market seems to have gone up over the few years we have owned it. My fear is that the used market is going to start heading the other way and in a year or two, it may only be worth what we paid for it again. I am a salesman at heart and wheel and deal alot, so it just seems right to me, seeing a potential for an upgrade with minamal cash spent. All that being said, she is on board now. Bet you can't tell who is the free spirit in our relationship
Well I would say you are doing pretty well on your baby steps if you are on step 5 and the kids isn't even born yet. We too are on step and 5 and 6 -- something tells me with 3 kids I'll be on step 5 even after I complete step 6 :-)

Personally I wouldn't worry about the used market for a TT/RV. If anything I might be inclined to use what I have though this season. List it for sale near the end of season, after its sold start looking what you can buy...I would not buy anything before I sold my other one.

In fact we just did this very thing. Sold our 26BH no slide TT (which I bought new before Dave -- my last mistake) and then bought a used 29QBH to get room for our 3 kids and a slide out.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:56 PM   #10

All good advice! While not Dave Ramsey followers, the wife and I really respect him and what he advises. When buying our first TT and TV this year we waited until we had cash (our position is that we hate debt) and looked for late model used. It was really nice to be able to pay cash for it all. Zero buyers remorse. Cash didn't cut TT price much but it worked the trick on the TV. As I told car dealer "explain to me why I would be happier paying you $10K for a two year newer vehicle."
Old 05-05-2014, 07:32 PM   #11

We just bought a nice older trailer and paid a little over high book for it. A trailers value is what ever some one is willing to pay. Our Sunny Brook is real nice and one owner. Our Jayco is in Az in storage.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:51 PM   #12

My wife and I are planning to start a family in a year or two, and talked about the same dilemma. We had a 2004 fifth wheel, and wanted something with another slide and maybe slightly longer because we have company over often. I wanted to upgrade to get top dollar for my unit now, and make the switch before we have a child. It took some time for her to get on board, but she came around and we ended up buying new. Dealer put together some great numbers last fall, ended up trading, should have the new unit paid off in 2 years. We got what we wanted and have no regrets. If you want to upgrade and can do so comfortably financially, go for it. As for buying an older unit, it's all personal preference. I bought new because I wanted something I could keep for many years and still have some decent value at the end. It's all in what you want to do. Good luck and congratulations!
bcmorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:08 PM   #13

Teaching my 3rd Dave Ramsey class. Getting ready to become familiar with the student edition for the teens of the manys families we know.

Live like no one else so you can......

Blessings - debt free couple in Oregon.
Z71 Extended Cab w/Longbed, 5.3 ltr

Coleman Tent, Flagstaff Pop-Up, Jayco Eagle, Flagstaff Pop-Up, RPM Toy Hauler, Jayco White Hawk - Our camping evolution
stjohneyre is offline   Reply With Quote