Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-14-2021, 10:23 AM   #1

anderson levelers issue

I might have called the title of this thread.."axle issue" instead. I have been using the anderson levelers for some time and like them very much. On my last trip I went to lay them between my two tires which I have always been able to do but this time found I did not have enough clearance. My first reaction was Oh No...axle issue. But I could not visibly see any issue at all. The fifth wheel does have Moryde's CRE 3000 and they state there is no way that their component could be involved with any kind of fore and aft movement.
Any ideas what I should look for or inspect?
Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi
BLTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 11:02 AM   #2

Now that you are back on the level, I'd lay a Andersen Leveler between the wheels on the side that gave you grief on your last trip, and see if there is room to put it in there.... Then, take the same leveler to the other side, and see if the clearance is the same. If not, you likely have an issue. If it is the same, you are more than likely ok, and I'll take a guess at what happened over the weekend.

IF there is a hump in the ground or gravel between the wheels, then when you lay the leveler in place, it has to cam up the opposite side - which in turn makes it contact the tire sooner, as the radius of the tire means the treads come together the higher from the ground you are. Make sense? Clear as mud?

If there wasn't a hump in the ground between the wheels, then we need to dig a bit deeper.

If the above test (seeing of the sides are the same), and you find they aren't, I'd be looking at the spring hangers and either you have one that's bent or the weld is broken and it's hanging crooked.

Report back what you find.
AUH #3220
White Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 05:39 PM   #3
eow

I had to cut an inch off the tips to work with our FW with 16" tires.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
eow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 05:02 AM   #4

X2 on the ground. Could be the problem.

One easy way to check for an axle problem would be to take a quick measurement between the axle/hub centers on both sides of the trailer. If they are the same, the problem is most likely the ground. If they are different, I would investigate further.

One other note on the Anderson levelers; The best thing I did for them was to stick traction tape to both the upper and lower surfaces. Now they never slip or slide even on wet or muddy surfaces!
mrmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anderson level, axle, axle distance, cre 3000