Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-07-2016, 11:29 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSerendipity View Post
Guess I'll be heading to Maine in Sept by way of NY, VT, & NH
Sounds a lot like the route we'll be taking from Lancaster to Maine, coming up in June.

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:25 PM   #22

There always is a way that they get their money. I suspect that if you are in "violation" you simply get a special bill!

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:30 PM   #23

10 years and my "trusted source" is still waiting for that bill....

Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 03:22 PM   #24

I have been researching this topic for about a year. I will be on a 2 month trip from AZ to many states on the east coast this summer. I haven't picked out which state to get one from either. The one thing I would like to add to this discussion is the rumor/fact that on the west coast the FasTrak is supposed to be included soon. Last I heard was it is supposed to be in effect this year. We go to CA a lot and that would help me a lot.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 03:28 PM   #25

It would be a bonus if ALL the states got their act together and had one system for their tolling. Washington has a thing called Good to Go but it's only used around the Seattle area.
Old 03-07-2016, 04:18 PM   #26

I've traveled through the Delmarva, PA., NY, North and South Carolina and have never had a strange or exuberant charge on my EZ Pass acct. Been a EZP customer for a very long time. The scanners above the lanes know exactly what to charge. It counts axles. I got a statement and it called for a charge for 4 axles...spot on.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:51 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force View Post
10 years and my "trusted source" is still waiting for that bill....
Yes. Your state might not have electronic reciprocity. But mine does. All these states in the East are kind of close together.

But I am still waiting for the bill for my Toronto parking ticket. I saw the meter maid and was unable to cross the highway for five minutes before she issued the ticket due to traffic that would not stop. So that ticket is still outstanding after some 10 years.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:32 PM   #28

NY EZ Pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelly View Post
I would definitely recommend. We have the MA E-ZPass and it's been fantastic, and I also thing we've used it in just about every state that accepts it. Don't know if this is unique to MA or not, but I was told by E-ZPass MA that the transponder is tied to a specific vehicle/combination and they don't count axles. I therefore have two transponders, one for the TV alone, the second for the TV/TT combo - just have to remember to switch them out between trips
I have a NY EZ Pass - and it's linked to the vehicle. I have one for the RV, and one for the TOAD. When towing, I pay both, as that's the axle thing. That way, I just leave the transponders in the vehicles all the time.
jbayone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:14 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSerendipity View Post
Kim & Tom,
Thanks for the info. I have not had issues in the past with MA & EZPass but I prefer to stay out of that State for multiple reasons. Now I have another reason.
Guess I'll be heading to Maine in Sept by way of NY, VT, & NH
My Transponder has been in 3 different TV since 2000. I have hauled Popups, Cargo Trailers, a Boat (w/single Axle), and now 2 larger TTs. I have headed West to Colorado 2 times (both times on Rt.80) and multiple trips to MD,VA, NC, SC & FL. Also Trips north. EZPass always worked with & without a trailer. I just picked up a new FW and used the PA turnpike twice and no issues. I guess I'm in technical violation by not notifying the state of every change, BUT each State has always gotten their correct toll.
I've done the same. I even take the transponder with me in Rental cars. Never an issue with plates. When the gate opens its been read and is already debiting my account.

Better yet my EZ Pass is from NY because OH used to charge a monthly fee!
scuba0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:54 PM   #30

Best advise is to call a center to see what you need. The last thing you want is fine for not having the proper type transponder for your MH. Fines can be expensive and offset all the savings you achieved by having the EZP in the first place. You do get discounts for off peak times and using the EZP.

I have 2 transponders for NYS. One is for my TV just as is, the other is for my 5'er combo which in NYS you get a discount vs a TT combo regardless of axles.

I only have to keep a minimum of $25.00 on the account for all vehicles. When it gets below $10.00 they draw on my CC to replenish. When we hit the road that thing is always going off due to some of the major tolls in the NE area. I average about $100.00 and if cash would be about 25% more. They tried to institute a $1.00 per month rental fee and that got thrown out.

There are less and less cash lanes now on the EC as a result of EZP and interstate usage of EZP from Virginia north and out to OH. In the summer those lines can get very long.

There are also EZ passes sold on the NYS Thruway for instant use, but again the MH might be special due to weight.

The further north you cross the Hudson the cheaper it is as well.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 04:37 PM   #31

After all the researching on my part thoughout the info from the web, I decided on the Illinois E-ZPass. I found this on a website. Hope it helps others -

At a glance
Here is a quick look at what it costs for one vehicle to get an E-Z Pass in different states:
Virginia: $35 prepaid tolls, 50 cents per month (or $6 annually)
Delaware: $25 prepaid tolls, $15 fee. No monthly or annual fee
Illinois: $40 prepaid tolls, $10 refundable deposit. No monthly or annual fee.
Indiana: $10-$20 prepaid tolls, $1 monthly fee (or $12 annually)
Maine: $20 prepaid tolls, $10 fee per tag. No monthly or annual fee.
Maryland: $25 prepaid tolls, $9 tag fee. $1.50 monthly fee for drivers who do not use Maryland tolls on a monthly basis.
New Hampshire: $30 prepaid tolls (up to two tags), $8.90 per tag. No monthly or annual fee.
New Jersey: $25 prepaid tolls, $10 per tag (fee waived if credit card is used). $1 monthly fee (or $12 annually)
New York: $25 prepaid tolls, $10 refundable deposit.
Ohio: $25 prepaid tolls, $3 activation fee, 75 cents per month (or $9 annually)
Pennsylvania: $35 prepaid tolls, $10 deposit (deposit is waived if credit card is used), $3 annual fee
Rhode Island: $25 prepaid tolls, $20.95 fee. No monthly fees.
West Virginia: $20 prepaid tolls, $5 annual fee

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:52 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyadamn View Post
After all the researching on my part thoughout the info from the web, I decided on the Illinois E-ZPass. I found this on a website. Hope it helps others -
Thanks for the comprehensive research. I also decided to go with Illinois and have the pass in hand. When I return from NH I'll mail the pass back and they'll return my deposit and any funds left in my account.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:54 AM   #33

We've had a PA EZ pass for more than 10 years. We have three vehicles and two trailers. We have one transponder. All our vehicles and trailers are registered with EZ Pass. We have traveled with our TV and TT in all the eastern states except Maine and NH and have never had an erroneous toll and always use the EZ pass lanes.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:54 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
We've had a PA EZ pass for more than 10 years. We have three vehicles and two trailers. We have one transponder. All our vehicles and trailers are registered with EZ Pass. We have traveled with our TV and TT in all the eastern states except Maine and NH and have never had an erroneous toll and always use the EZ pass lanes.

X2.

2 vehicles and 1 TT registered. never had any issues.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:32 PM   #35

Depending on where your travels take you, beware of using an EZPass on any of the Delaware River and Bay Bridge Authority Bridges, particularly the Delaware Memorial Bridge, between DE and NJ on I-95. Folks pulling trailers ROUTINELY get overcharged crossing that bridge with an EZPass, and it takes MONTHS, if ever, to get the overcharge reimbursed. Many don't even realize that they've been overcharged, as many don't scrutinize their EZPass statement.

Whenever I cross that bridge (at least once or twice a year), I pull the EZPss from the window, put it in the foil envelope so that it doesn't read, and pay cash. $8 out of pocket is MUCH better than $26 hidden in an EZPass statement!

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:20 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire_Instructor View Post
Depending on where your travels take you, beware of using an EZPass on any of the Delaware River and Bay Bridge Authority Bridges, particularly the Delaware Memorial Bridge, between DE and NJ on I-95.
Now that's really nice to know! I'll also be going from Durham, NH, to College Park, MD on this trip. The route I've chose includes 495 and corner of Delaware that may include the bridge you're referring to. I'll be taking a very close look at the included bridges on that route. I'm also one to pay very close attention to itemized charges on everything.

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 06-27-2016, 08:53 AM   #37

Update on the EZ Pass. I ended up getting the Illinois IPass and it worked very good for the drive through the northern Midwest and the New England states. Saved me the hassle of stopping at toll booths and gave me access to a transponder only toll road in Maryland. I was also able to add a rental car very easily to the account. When I completed the trip and returned my transponder, Illinois returned my transponder deposit and the funds remaining in my account.

I would definitely recommend the Illinois IPass to anyone traveling through these area and using toll roads.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:01 AM   #38

In New York you have to use a "Manned Lane" if you are towing a trailer because the tag is set for a passenger vehicle with nothing in tow. If you use a manned lane they adjust the rate you are charged by the axle count.

Many folks just use an EZ Pass only lane which is charging them for just their tow vehicle. You will get away with it until you happen to get picked up in a random audit and then you will pay a fine plus the added toll.

Ask me how I know...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:02 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by tslarson View Post
Wow, I was just researching the same thing today! We are traveling from WI out east and will be traveling through toll states almost all the way. Trying to figure out how the toll people know what to charge depending if I am towing the TT or not? Do I need two transponders one if I am towing and one if I am not?
Yes they have 2 different ezpass one for just car and one for car and tow vehicle. That being said rest assured the pass for towing, you will get over charged sometimes paying commercial trucking charges. It's a pain but you have to email them to get the tolls adjusted. Every time I go down south I know the Delaware memorial bridge over charges and some other bridges along the way.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:12 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
I've traveled through the Delmarva, PA., NY, North and South Carolina and have never had a strange or exuberant charge on my EZ Pass acct. Been a EZP customer for a very long time. The scanners above the lanes know exactly what to charge. It counts axles. I got a statement and it called for a charge for 4 axles...spot on.
If you took the Delaware Memorial bridge I would check your bill. If you go to their website they even say they have problems with charging campers the correct amount. I have issues at the Outter bridge crossing in NY also.