Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-09-2016, 05:37 PM   #31

After all the researching on my part thoughout the info from the web, I decided on the Illinois E-ZPass. I found this on a website. Hope it helps others -

At a glance
Here is a quick look at what it costs for one vehicle to get an E-Z Pass in different states:
Virginia: $35 prepaid tolls, 50 cents per month (or $6 annually)
Delaware: $25 prepaid tolls, $15 fee. No monthly or annual fee
Illinois: $40 prepaid tolls, $10 refundable deposit. No monthly or annual fee.
Indiana: $10-$20 prepaid tolls, $1 monthly fee (or $12 annually)
Maine: $20 prepaid tolls, $10 fee per tag. No monthly or annual fee.
Maryland: $25 prepaid tolls, $9 tag fee. $1.50 monthly fee for drivers who do not use Maryland tolls on a monthly basis.
New Hampshire: $30 prepaid tolls (up to two tags), $8.90 per tag. No monthly or annual fee.
New Jersey: $25 prepaid tolls, $10 per tag (fee waived if credit card is used). $1 monthly fee (or $12 annually)
New York: $25 prepaid tolls, $10 refundable deposit.
Ohio: $25 prepaid tolls, $3 activation fee, 75 cents per month (or $9 annually)
Pennsylvania: $35 prepaid tolls, $10 deposit (deposit is waived if credit card is used), $3 annual fee
Rhode Island: $25 prepaid tolls, $20.95 fee. No monthly fees.
West Virginia: $20 prepaid tolls, $5 annual fee

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:52 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyadamn View Post
After all the researching on my part thoughout the info from the web, I decided on the Illinois E-ZPass. I found this on a website. Hope it helps others -
Thanks for the comprehensive research. I also decided to go with Illinois and have the pass in hand. When I return from NH I'll mail the pass back and they'll return my deposit and any funds left in my account.

Old 04-14-2016, 07:54 AM   #33

We've had a PA EZ pass for more than 10 years. We have three vehicles and two trailers. We have one transponder. All our vehicles and trailers are registered with EZ Pass. We have traveled with our TV and TT in all the eastern states except Maine and NH and have never had an erroneous toll and always use the EZ pass lanes.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:54 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
We've had a PA EZ pass for more than 10 years. We have three vehicles and two trailers. We have one transponder. All our vehicles and trailers are registered with EZ Pass. We have traveled with our TV and TT in all the eastern states except Maine and NH and have never had an erroneous toll and always use the EZ pass lanes.

X2.

2 vehicles and 1 TT registered. never had any issues.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Surge Guard 34830
2012 26BH (Traded)
2002 Prowler Lynx (totaled from tire blowout)
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:32 PM   #35

Depending on where your travels take you, beware of using an EZPass on any of the Delaware River and Bay Bridge Authority Bridges, particularly the Delaware Memorial Bridge, between DE and NJ on I-95. Folks pulling trailers ROUTINELY get overcharged crossing that bridge with an EZPass, and it takes MONTHS, if ever, to get the overcharge reimbursed. Many don't even realize that they've been overcharged, as many don't scrutinize their EZPass statement.

Whenever I cross that bridge (at least once or twice a year), I pull the EZPss from the window, put it in the foil envelope so that it doesn't read, and pay cash. $8 out of pocket is MUCH better than $26 hidden in an EZPass statement!

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:20 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire_Instructor View Post
Depending on where your travels take you, beware of using an EZPass on any of the Delaware River and Bay Bridge Authority Bridges, particularly the Delaware Memorial Bridge, between DE and NJ on I-95.
Now that's really nice to know! I'll also be going from Durham, NH, to College Park, MD on this trip. The route I've chose includes 495 and corner of Delaware that may include the bridge you're referring to. I'll be taking a very close look at the included bridges on that route. I'm also one to pay very close attention to itemized charges on everything.

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 06-27-2016, 09:53 AM   #37

Update on the EZ Pass. I ended up getting the Illinois IPass and it worked very good for the drive through the northern Midwest and the New England states. Saved me the hassle of stopping at toll booths and gave me access to a transponder only toll road in Maryland. I was also able to add a rental car very easily to the account. When I completed the trip and returned my transponder, Illinois returned my transponder deposit and the funds remaining in my account.

I would definitely recommend the Illinois IPass to anyone traveling through these area and using toll roads.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:01 AM   #38

In New York you have to use a "Manned Lane" if you are towing a trailer because the tag is set for a passenger vehicle with nothing in tow. If you use a manned lane they adjust the rate you are charged by the axle count.

Many folks just use an EZ Pass only lane which is charging them for just their tow vehicle. You will get away with it until you happen to get picked up in a random audit and then you will pay a fine plus the added toll.

Ask me how I know...
2016 Jayco 28BHBE - Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:02 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by tslarson View Post
Wow, I was just researching the same thing today! We are traveling from WI out east and will be traveling through toll states almost all the way. Trying to figure out how the toll people know what to charge depending if I am towing the TT or not? Do I need two transponders one if I am towing and one if I am not?
Yes they have 2 different ezpass one for just car and one for car and tow vehicle. That being said rest assured the pass for towing, you will get over charged sometimes paying commercial trucking charges. It's a pain but you have to email them to get the tolls adjusted. Every time I go down south I know the Delaware memorial bridge over charges and some other bridges along the way.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:12 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
I've traveled through the Delmarva, PA., NY, North and South Carolina and have never had a strange or exuberant charge on my EZ Pass acct. Been a EZP customer for a very long time. The scanners above the lanes know exactly what to charge. It counts axles. I got a statement and it called for a charge for 4 axles...spot on.
If you took the Delaware Memorial bridge I would check your bill. If you go to their website they even say they have problems with charging campers the correct amount. I have issues at the Outter bridge crossing in NY also.