Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-27-2016, 10:25 AM   #41
Senior Member
 
mike837go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Campbell Hall
Posts: 2,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
In New York you have to use a "Manned Lane" if you are towing a trailer because the tag is set for a passenger vehicle with nothing in tow. If you use a manned lane they adjust the rate you are charged by the axle count.

Many folks just use an EZ Pass only lane which is charging them for just their tow vehicle. You will get away with it until you happen to get picked up in a random audit and then you will pay a fine plus the added toll.

Ask me how I know...
I used to believe that too.

We live and camp in NY and use The Thruway. At first, I used the manned lane to make sure they got the extra axle of our first trailer.

The EZ-Pass statement showed no increased toll, nor any indication of the extra axle/trailer present.

We've been using the EZ-Pass only lanes on the thruway for several years now, even the 20MPH lane at our home exit.

No nasty letters, no extra fees on the statement.

I get the impression they really don't care about the few extra dimes from travel-trailers.
__________________

__________________
TT 2015 19RD "TheJayco"
TV 2003 F-350 "Montblanc" - Housebroken chore truck


Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:27 AM   #42
Senior Member
 
robkelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Duxbury
Posts: 4,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
I used to believe that too.

We live and camp in NY and use The Thruway. At first, I used the manned lane to make sure they got the extra axle of our first trailer.

The EZ-Pass statement showed no increased toll, nor any indication of the extra axle/trailer present.

We've been using the EZ-Pass only lanes on the thruway for several years now, even the 20MPH lane at our home exit.

No nasty letters, no extra fees on the statement.

I get the impression they really don't care about the few extra dimes from travel-trailers.
We have MA E-ZPass and have used the NY Thruway several times over the past three years and never had an issue either. Can't remember the last time I went through a "manned" lane
__________________

__________________
Rob & Kelly, Bella & Brady (Miniature Schnauzers)
2018 Pinnacle 36KPTS
2017 RAM 3500 SRW CTD/AISIN CC LB
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:36 AM   #43
Senior Member
 
mike837go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Campbell Hall
Posts: 2,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelly View Post
We have MA E-ZPass and have used the NY Thruway several times over the past three years and never had an issue either. Can't remember the last time I went through a "manned" lane
They are becoming fewer and fewer in the NYC area. The Henry Hudson Bridge (Bronx to Manhattan over the Haarlem River) and the Tappan Zee Bridge (Nyack to Tarrytown of the Hudson River) have no manned lanes. If you don't have EZ-Pass, call in within 24 hours and pay by credit card. They have a photo of your car and tags.

It's not a perfect system. My 1984 Chevy K20 was 'observed' going through a toll plaza in Queens in 2010. The truck never left the Orange/Duchess area in the entire time I owned it (2006-2013). A phone call cleared up the misunderstanding.
__________________
TT 2015 19RD "TheJayco"
TV 2003 F-350 "Montblanc" - Housebroken chore truck


Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:16 PM   #44
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Lancaster
Posts: 610
A couple of weeks ago we did the NY Thruway from Newburgh to Albany, towing our TT. There was NO SIGN that the EZ-Pass got picked up at either end, and the toll still has not showed on my EZ-Pass statement. I'm thinking that sooner or later they'll come after me with a fine for that. Then what? Fun.
__________________

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:29 PM   #45
Senior Member
 
mike837go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Campbell Hall
Posts: 2,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
A couple of weeks ago we did the NY Thruway from Newburgh to Albany, towing our TT. There was NO SIGN that the EZ-Pass got picked up at either end, and the toll still has not showed on my EZ-Pass statement. I'm thinking that sooner or later they'll come after me with a fine for that. Then what? Fun.
If your transponder is working, EZ-Pass got your vehicle coming and going.

If you are from a different state, the reciprocity could take a while.

Worst case, you'll get a letter from EZ-PassNY and you can point them to your home EZ-Pass account.

My experience is that the EZ-Pass folks know how error-prone the system gets on the "non-routine" stuff. Be patient. The charges will show.
__________________
TT 2015 19RD "TheJayco"
TV 2003 F-350 "Montblanc" - Housebroken chore truck


Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:57 PM   #46
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Lancaster
Posts: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
If your transponder is working, EZ-Pass got your vehicle coming and going.

If you are from a different state, the reciprocity could take a while.

Worst case, you'll get a letter from EZ-PassNY and you can point them to your home EZ-Pass account.

My experience is that the EZ-Pass folks know how error-prone the system gets on the "non-routine" stuff. Be patient. The charges will show.
Thanks for the reassurance, Mike. Here's hoping it's just paranoia on my part, since we have very little experience with our EZ-Pass.

BTW, all the other tolls from our trip, from ME and NH, have showed up long since.
__________________

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:12 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Maine
Posts: 690
We ran the TZ with our trailer . We have EZ pass there are no manned lanes. The 12.00 showed up in a week
__________________
2012 Honda Ridgeline
2016 195 RB

Both well used. Now up to 170 nights camping and 40,000 miles on the TT since purchase.
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:15 PM   #48
Senior Member
 
SMS1115's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Fuquay-Varina
Posts: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
If your transponder is working, EZ-Pass got your vehicle coming and going.

If you are from a different state, the reciprocity could take a while.

Worst case, you'll get a letter from EZ-PassNY and you can point them to your home EZ-Pass account.

My experience is that the EZ-Pass folks know how error-prone the system gets on the "non-routine" stuff. Be patient. The charges will show.
I had that problem with my NC Pass in Virginia at the Norfolk tunnels. When I finally got a bill in the mail, I called and told them about my transponder and she looked into it and said that my transponder did ping, it just didn't get charges. So they waived the bill by mail fee and the charge for using EZPass only lane and then charged my account just for the toll.

So my advice, wait until a paper bill shows up, call them and talk with them. Very understanding.
__________________
Steve
----------
2008 Jay Flight G2 29BHS
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:24 PM   #49
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Lancaster
Posts: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
We ran the TZ with our trailer . We have EZ pass there are no manned lanes. The 12.00 showed up in a week
I give up: What the TZ?
__________________

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:28 PM   #50
Senior Member
 
mike837go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Campbell Hall
Posts: 2,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
I give up: What the TZ?
Tappan Zee Bridge. One of the most twisted ways of crossing the Hudson River!


But, they are in the process of replacing it with a worse one.
__________________

__________________
TT 2015 19RD "TheJayco"
TV 2003 F-350 "Montblanc" - Housebroken chore truck


Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.