Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-26-2014, 05:27 AM   #1

Another keyless entry thread (long post)

Lately, I've been searching for and reading every thread I could find on the forum about keyless entry. I haven't found any that address my issue, so here is another keyless entry thread.

Our camper is a 2013 Eagle Premier 351RLTS. We purchased it last September, six months ago. It has the keyless entry option. Our keyless entry system is not the newer battery powered Bauer system that Jayco uses. Our system gets it's power from the camper's 12 volt system. The door was manufactured by Challenger Door, and the actuator in the keyless entry system was manufactured by a company called Pop-Locks.

I programmed and started using the keyless entry when we took our first trip in November. We love the feature. Shortly after that first trip, the keyless entry system failed. The deadbolt was stuck in the unlocked position, and we were unable to budge it with either the keypad or a key. I'll skip all the details about how we finally arrived at the cause of the problem, but what happened was that the keypad failed, and sent a constant signal to the actuator to lock the door. This caused the motor in the actuator to fail.

Our dealer had some issues with their service department (none of their service guys came back to work after the Christmas holidays) in early January, so with the dealer's blessing, I communicated with a Jayco engineer and a warranty person from Challenger door directly via email. The representative from Challenger door sent me a new keypad and actuator, and I made the repairs myself on March 6.

From March 6 until this past Sunday, March 23, our camper sat idle. We tried to enter the camper this past Sunday to prepare for an upcoming trip, and we were locked out. The deadbolt was locked, the keypad commands would not work, and we were unable to unlock the deadbolt with a key. After killing all 12 volt power to the camper and repeatedly hitting the deadbolt with the key, we were finally able to get the deadbolt unlocked. Through the key, I can feel that the gears in the in the actuator are very rough. The actuator has obviously failed again. I can only conclude that this is the result of another failed keypad.

My emails with the Jayco engineer and the Challenger Door warranty person have resumed. The Challenger door person told me that they have quit using the actuator that is on my camper. He is supposed to be checking now into getting a different actuator with some kind of bracket to adapt to my application. He hasn't addressed the issue of the failed keypads with me yet.

I asked the Jayco engineer about updating my camper to the newer Bauer keyless system, and he said that he isn't aware of it ever being retrofitted to a camper with the older system. I've been to the Bauer site, and they have a diagram there that shows the dimensions of the cutout needed for their "NE" lock. I will be taking mine apart (again) this weekend to see if it will fit the cutout in my door. I will unhook the linkage from the actuator to the deadbolt, so I will be able to take my planned trip next week with no issues. I've already put duct tape over the door jamb contacts so the keypad will not be able to inflict any more damage.

My big problem right now is that I can never trust this current system again. I feel that the keypad and actuator are both flawed. The thought of being locked out of my camper with no way to get in, or being locked in in the event of a fire frightens me.

Has anybody had similar issues with this system? I am hoping Jayco will step up to the plate to rectify the situation to my satisfaction. Since Jayco moved away from this system to the newer Bauer system, I can only conclude that there have been other issues.

I took the failed parts from my March 6 repair to my dealer to show them just so they could stay informed about the situation. I will contact them to let them know about the latest development. My dealer has been great to deal with throughout this entire episode, and they have no problem with me doing the repairs. I don't mind doing the repairs myself. I fix things for a living, I love learning about new things, and I like to solve problems. The little bit of time it takes is well worth the money I save not having to haul the camper to the dealer. It's a 100 mile round trip.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:17 AM   #2

Jayco usually does the right thing and I would think that if one could not be retrofitted a new door with the new style keyless entry is in order to make the correction. I have the battery powered one so can offer no further insight with your issue other than that I would have the same fears.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:20 AM   #3

Any issues with your battery powered system?
Old 03-26-2014, 06:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by etex211 View Post
Any issues with your battery powered system?
I have not had any yet. It's still under the factory settings as I have yet to reprogram it with the custom code feature. Opens and locks without fail either key or pad. I have used it it 10 degree weather too.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:14 AM   #5

I have the Bauer keyless entry on our Jayco and the batteries failed in the first four months. However, I have already received a recall notice on units failing in the locked position. Since I don't relish getting locked in my unit, or out, I am not replacing the batteries. The unit works really well with a key so I am going to continue using it that way. The Bauer unit is supposed to be really dependable but I am not taking any chances. Key is simple!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:19 PM   #6

We have the same keyless entry system as etex211 on our 2012 Eagle. After the 2nd time it failed, I removed the pad, disconnected the wires and capped them then re-installed the pad. I disconnected it for the same reason as namusmc65.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:24 PM   #7

I just unhooked the linkage from the actuator to the deadbolt so I can take my trip next week. While I was at it, I removed the door handle and measured the opening. It is just short of what Bauer specifies for the height, but according to the dimensions on the Bauer website for the NE-RV door handle, it should fit my hole. Also, my existing door handle appears to be a Bauer BP8-RV, and the NE-RV is supposed to be a direct replacement for that. I will contact Bauer directly to confirm all of this.

I just sent another email with a list of questions to my reps at Jayco and Challenger Door. We'll see how that goes.

Regarding battery life on the Bauer unit: I am willing to install new batteries before every trip, so I don't see this as a big issue for me. I just want to get something on there that is reliable.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:54 AM   #8

Update: The representative from Challenger Door is sending me their new style actuator and the mounting bracket that goes with it. He is also sending me the Bauer NE-RV door handle. In his email he said that he honestly doesn't know why they don't just use the Bauer unit all the time, since it is completely self contained and so much simpler.

I'll probably just put the Bauer unit on there and be done with it.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:47 AM   #9

Our 2014 Greyhawk has a keyless entry which failed twice. It would unlock itself or try to. Warranty service took everything apart and could not find anything. It would work for a day or so and act up again. I could hear the motor trying to unlock. Dealer called Jayco and they sent a hole new lock mechanism for replacement. Unfortunatley I had it covered and we got hit with snow so in 2 weeks I have an appointment for the replacement. Each time it acted up, I just put tape over the door contacts and used the key to lock or unlock. Will find out soon if the problem is solved.
short kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:03 PM   #10

I got an email from the Jayco rep this morning that essentially said that the only kind of repair they would support or be involved with would be the replacement or parts in the existing system. They will not be on board with retrofitting my camper with the Bauer unit.

The representative from Challenger Door has been a lot more accommodating.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:28 AM   #11

I have the Bauer NE keypad lock on my 2013 Eagle Premier 321 RLTS. In the last week, I was locked inside the camper and unable to unlock it with the lock/unlock lever. After wiggling it back-and-forth several times, I was able to unlock the door. The lock worked fine for 3or 4 times. Then, I was outside and trying to get in, and could not unlock the door with the key or the keypad. Once again, after much wiggling, tapping, and eventually banging pretty hard, I was able to unlock the door using the key. The keypad would not unlock it or lock it after I was able to get the door open. Contacted Bauer, and they are sending me a new lock system. It is a little scary realizing that you are locked in and cannot get out! Hopefully the new luck will work better than the old one.

djalbrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:21 PM   #12
Lost in the Woods

We have the newer system. I don't like it because anyone who knows how can reprogram the code from the outside. I pulled the batteries and just use the key. When I have my teenage son along I put the batteries back in and put in a code for everyone to use just for that trip then the batteries come back out and we just use the key which I have on my car key ring anyway.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:21 AM   #13

Another reason I don't use the keyless entry is anyone can reprogram the code from the outside by just getting the manual off the internet. I guess it would just be easier to break in and much quicker if someone wanted to get in with bad intentions. Fortunately in the camping world there are not hardly any folks I know of with bad intentions. It is the non campers we really have to worry about. I still had rather just use the keys as it is much simpler than reinstalling batteries and re-programming. But of course the really bad guys have the keys to get in also! Oh well......

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:20 PM   #14
Lost in the Woods

If someone wants to break into anything bad enough they will, but I don't want to just hand them the keys. The keyless entry in my opinion is doing just that. They should have made the system so that a switch on the inside or the key or a special unique code would have to be inserted before programming is allowed. The way it is anyone can do it in about three second from the outside by simply knowing which keys to press. I mean come on! That is stupid and totally unsafe. I sleep next to a loaded handgun, but I sure don't feel safe sleeping knowing that anyone could open my door in the middle of the night just as if I left it unlocked.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:05 PM   #15

I had the same problem this weekend. I have brought the RV in to the dealer twice and once they said they replaced everything. I put tape over the connectors to stop the mechanism. It was really weird because it started at 3:30 am while we were sleeping. Did you ever get your unit repaired and what was the root cause?

THANKS
wmanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:38 PM   #16

FYI, the batteries of the Bauer NE have to be removed for 10 seconds before the lock can be reprogrammed. That would require entry into the rig and removal of the batteries in order to reset the code.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:22 AM   #17

Glad I read this post. I have keyless on my 2013 328RLTS. Have been deciding wether or not to use it. Doesn't sound too reliable. I think I'll stick with the good 'ol "key" type entry.
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote