Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #1

Another Water Related Question

Somewhat similar to my last post. Lots of the state parks we camp in do not have individual water hookups and most of the time, I have found that I need to obstruct traffic in order to get close enough to a public spigot in order to fill my tank.. I have a 90 gallon tank and depending on how long I plan to camp, it can take quite some time to fill.

Just wondering if the consensus of the group would be to obstruct traffic in this situation, or just pull into your site and run a 6-10 gallon jug back and fourth from the closest spigot (assuming of course you are too far away to use a hose to fill up). I hardly ever see people obstructing traffic in order to fill their tank (although I've only really been paying attention recently since upgrading to a TT with a fresh water tank).

I should mention that I am close enough to my towing limits that filling up before leaving the house is not an option.

Thanks,
Dan
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
lagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:39 AM   #2

Most of the state parks we go to I fill near the dump station as there is a place to fill. About ½ of the parks have a spigot at the bathroom house, often the road widens up at the bathroom houses. I will fill at the dump station if I have (using the potable water fill), but if I do I like to clean the spigot as I am always concerned that someone cleaned their sewer system off of that spigot (just a little paranoid).

Most campers have the same issues at the same CGs so, if you have to fill up while blocking the isle, then that is what you have to do. Seen it done many times, most people seem to understand.

I hate to admit to it, but there has been more than one occasion where I had to hump water to the HTT, because I forgot to fill the tank before parking.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #3
Site Team

Yes many parks have a place you can get out of the way to fill up. Going back and forth to a spigot 6 gallons in a can at a time just aint gonna happen for Crabman, unless I run out and have to have more. I even got all setup one time with no water in my tanks and realized there was no water hookup there and been there several times, just a brain freeze moment. I borrowed a few hoses from fellow campers and with my two I was able to reach a spigot over 100' away....
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #4

I kind of look at this like I do a self serve car wash.I go about my business the best I can,not killing time.I figure my money is just as good as theirs.Same way at the dump station.
I also check out the camp ground on the internet before I go.Most all in Kansas have a map showing where all the rest rooms, water, etc, are located.
1 wife
2 spoiled cihuahua's
rugerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:39 PM   #5

The CG I use typically have FW fill station outside the loops where we get water. However I also carry 2 50' hoses, a 25' hose, and a "water thief" just in case I need to fill up in the site loops. I have not yet ran into a situation where 125' of hose didn't reach.

Tried to use 6 gal jug once. Problem was I didn't have a funnel sized right to pour the water into the gravity fill on my TT. The gravity fill is position to verticle to simply pour it in.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:47 PM   #6

I had a trailer in front of me at Ft Ebey St park blocking traffic to fill tanks at the bathrooms. I understood. Luckily my trailer was smaller and I had a longer hose so I could pull into the parking spots, blocking the spots but not the road. I still tried to hurry. The only other "useable hookup" was at the exit beside the Park Pay Booth which would have blocked all exit traffic. No Sani dump there either. I don't want to block traffic, but will if needed, but I will also do my best to be speedy.
3firetrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:49 PM   #7

x2 Jagiven -- most of the state parks we visit also have potable water available at the dump station (away from the dumping area) that is available to fill up our tank.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:39 PM   #8

Also tend to use the potable spigot by the dump provided its far enough away I don't think someone used it for a flush.

I also won't use the dump potable if the spring sprayer doesn't have a hose fitting as I figure people flush with it.
Ecfeick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:42 PM   #9

I carry two 6 gal cans and a 12v pump from Harbor Freight. I can usually reach my tank fill and just pump the water from the bed of the truck. I don't block traffic and am not kind to people that do.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:47 AM   #10

I'm not gonna fill 90 gallons 6 callous at a time.

If I happen to be in a place where traffic backs up ill stop. Circle the loop and resume.
Ecfeick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:01 AM   #11

how many days are you staying in the park?

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
how many days are you staying in the park?
Depends.. I rarely fill my 90 gal. tank past 1/2 regardless of how long I'm staying since my grey tank only holds 32.5 gal (often wondered why we have such a huge capacity FW tank.. I would gladly sacrifice a quarter of my FW tank and increase the grey tank capacity IMHO).

I do like the idea of filling tanks in the back of my truck and using a 12V pump. When I get to the park, I like to find my site and get set up.. Would be nice not to have to worry about finding a water spigot and just planning to fill the water later on at my own pace using a 12V pump.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old 09-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
I carry two 6 gal cans and a 12v pump from Harbor Freight. I can usually reach my tank fill and just pump the water from the bed of the truck. I don't block traffic and am not kind to people that do.
I was thinking more about this.. I wonder if it would be possible to re-configure the valves on the TT such that I could make the winterize hose longer and use it to pump water out of tanks in the bed of my truck into the FW tanks.. Or possibly mod the valves in order to accomplish this.. That would be pretty slick!

If I keep all the valves in the "non-winterize" position, open the valve to the winterize hose, put the winterize hose in the external water tank, and turn on the pump in theory it should fill the FW tank and water heater right? I guess the only thing I'd have to be sure to do is turn off the valve to the winterize hose right away when the external tank is empty.. At that point I would think it would pressurize the system.