Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-09-2014, 02:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
If you have a 2014 unit and it came with a tv, it will pick up digital over the air antenna signals. Not much to it. Just have to re-program your channels each time you go to a different region. make sure your tv is set to receive antenna and not cable and turn on the fm signal boost switch. If you hook up to cable, tv needs to be set to cable and not antenna and reprogram as usual.
Signal boost switch??? My 19H came wired for the TV, but no TV. It ties into the iRV radio/cd to play DVD's. Where would such a switch be if I would get a TV?

Old 07-09-2014, 02:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie View Post
Signal boost switch??? My 19H came wired for the TV, but no TV. It ties into the iRV radio/cd to play DVD's. Where would such a switch be if I would get a TV?
Assuming your RV has an antenna, most of the signal boost switches I've seen are on a 12V outlet near the cable outlets and such, it looks like a place to plug the lighter receptacle in your car. The switch is a tiny (1/4") plunger switch on the plug plate itself. You click it in, green light comes on, antenna booster is on. If you want to hook up to CG cable, the booster needs to be off. Push the switch again, it pops out, green light goes off and you can use the CG cable feed. Anything coming from the DVD player or head unit to the TV should not be affected by this switch.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Just aim the antenna at the nearest metropolitan area or use an app to find which bearing to use and you're GTG with local news, weather, and shows. Usually NBC, CBS, ABC, and FOX with some others smattered in for good measure. And the picture is better than what comes in on the cable, and better than what we used to get on our satellite at home.
So how do you aim your antenna? I know you pull down on the round part and turn, but how do you know which way is what? I usually end up trying about 15 differant spots until I get good signal on multiple channels. Is it the arrow that you line up when you are getting ready to put it down?

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowtoy View Post
So how do you aim your antenna? I know you pull down on the round part and turn, but how do you know which way is what? I usually end up trying about 15 differant spots until I get good signal on multiple channels. Is it the arrow that you line up when you are getting ready to put it down?
No, that arrow is only for lining up the storage position. If you look VERY closely on the rotator knob, there are two TINY hash marks; those indicate the direction you aim the antenna. If those aren't there, just turn the antenna wings perpendicular to the direction of the towers.

In the attached picture, the antenna would be pointed away from the photographer and to the right somewhat. This one has an added piece, but the antenna boom is on the opposite side of the antenna body from the broadcasting towers, and that's the orientation you want; the coax cord comes out the back of the antenna body, again, opposite the direction of the broadcasting towers.

I aimed my antenna directly out the starboard side, then went inside and marked the rotator with a Sharpie (that's how I found the hash marks). Now I just aim the Sharpie mark at the nearest tower (usually just outside a major city) and I get at least some channels. They're not directionally sensitive enough for a couple degrees to make much difference, so you can usually just get it close and it'll work depending on where you are.
Attached Thumbnails
antenna1.jpg  

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:18 PM   #15

antenna

We just recently purchased and installed the jack antenna from camping world it has the i beleive uhf ant. That picks up the free air digital signals i know when i do a channel search it picks up a whole lot more channels its great, best 45.00 dollars i have spent
2006 JAYCO JAY FEATHER 23B EXP
EQUILIZER HITCH
Kellys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:42 PM   #16

My OTA antenna picks up signal without the boost, or so I noticed tonight. Mind you I'm right in the City and not far from towers. Still the boost will help to bring in a cleaner/stronger signal. It worked great for me when we got out for a few days in the spring. Rotate the Antenna and watch your TV, once you get a nice picture stop. If it's pixelly..you went too far.

I just scored a Winegard MP1 off Kijiji. Tried it out tonight, set the elevation and used my phone to point the dish...walked into the trailer and the TV was working with HD Bell just fine.

Not that I want to watch TV while camping..but when it comes to sports, especially Hockey in Spring/Fall or football, I will be watching.

It will also keep DW and Daughter happy if we get Nasty weather.

Having both OTA and Satellite as options for TV is just a bonus.
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:51 PM   #17

Go NHL/CFL.
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:26 PM   #18

Well, we did eventually pick up a few channels, but they were so fuzzy they were not worth watching. I am beginning to wonder if there is more analog TV in the states than in Canada? To the best of my knowledge, it's all digital TV here.
2014 Jayflight 24FBS Elite (Sold)
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:05 AM   #19

I thought it was all digital here in the states now?
And thanks to Camper Bob for the booster switch info. I looked in my camper yesterday and saw the little plunger switch. I would have never seen that. And being a guy, I probably would have waited until I was so mad that my head was ready to explode before reading the manual.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:15 AM   #20

I had seen that booster switch...but I thought it was a switch to activate the 12v power! Dumbass me!

Salsa03 is offline   Reply With Quote