Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-10-2014, 07:58 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykcamom View Post
Well, we did eventually pick up a few channels, but they were so fuzzy they were not worth watching. I am beginning to wonder if there is more analog TV in the states than in Canada? To the best of my knowledge, it's all digital TV here.
I'm pretty sure everything OTA in the States is digital. There is UHF and VHF though. Our antennas are better at picking up one over the other (I can't remember which).

It also depends on distance and terrain. I pick up towers at home that are about 40 miles away over mostly flat terrain. I get them pretty easily with both my antennas (house and RV).

If it's a digital channel, it's usually all or nothing. There's no fuzz like I remember as a kid. It's more like a digital pixelation. If you're getting the fuzz, try turning the antenna slightly one direction or the other and the signal should clear up. If it doesn't, you might just be too far away or have an obstruction.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:41 PM   #22

Yes, all U.S. television is digital; but not all digital T.V. is high definition (HDTV). Switching to digital opened up many more "band widths" than were available with analogue signals. As a result, the number of over-the-air channels has just about tripled. Many of those new channels are "specialty" channels: foreign language, religious, home shopping, public, weather, etc..

Unfortunately, the digital signal is much weaker and much more directional than the old analogue signal. That's why the "booster button" and rotating antennae are so important to receiving a good, clear signal. My old trailer didn't have an outside antennae, so I had to use digital "rabbit ears" or a digital flat antennae. Still couldn't get many stations: 1-3 at most. The "boosted" antennae on my Eagle is great! I can now pick up 23-25 channels at home, and (generally) 3-10 while camping.

Is this a great country, or what?
Old 07-12-2014, 05:59 AM   #23

I haven't camped yet, but I will be bringing a TV and a Roku box with me. It will pick up movies and stuff via wi fi. I am also looking at http://nimbleTV.com, which works via wifi, thru my Roku and computer and tablet to give me stations. There's also the Blu-Ray. Where there's a will, there's a way. (I will also bring my own hotspot device with me for the wifi). Who needs cable or satellite these days?
Maxi is offline   Reply With Quote